Hot_Shot_166.jpg
100_5350.JPG
IMG_0707.JPG
IMG_0708.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Just picked up Aladdin's Castle. The backglass has some flaking in front of score reels. Yellow and white are the colors. Really shows up big time so something needs to be done. I mean it's almost right in the middle of the glass. Do I use paint? what type of paint if so? Winter project so I have time to do it the right way.

#2 11 years ago

http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index1.htm#bg

That should tell you how to seal a flaking backglass to start to stop it from spreading and the best tips to touch it up. Backglasses are very hard to make look right. Good luck!

#3 11 years ago

Currently working on restoring some backglasses. In short: clean, seal, acrylic touch-up, seal again. If you screw up on the acrylic touch ups you can start over without messing up the base artwork. This is just my approach, not necessarily what the "pros" are doing.

I have a Devil's Dare BG that was real bad. I scraped off the entire section and am going to try scanned replacement on transparency sprayed with thin layers of zinc white until the opacity matches. Might look like crap, but it'll be better than just junking it.

Here's a couple of mid resto pics. (1, taped score windows before sealing, 2, front view, 3, removing tape)

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#4 11 years ago

Hey Pinster-

A worthy pursuit to save this glass. I have read several places it is best to leave a small amount of the glass showing when taping off in order to seal the edges. My understanding is changes in humidity/temps. can allow moisture to lift the ink in these vulnerable areas. I am not a scientist, but sounds good in theory to me. I go back and clean up the edges after removing the tape from triple thick. Let us see your end result. Photoshop is a powerful but complicated program, wish I was a wizard with it!

good luck!

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Hey Pinster-
A worthy pursuit to save this glass. I have read several places it is best to leave a small amount of the glass showing when taping off in order to seal the edges. My understanding is changes in humidity/temps. can allow moisture to lift the ink in these vulnerable areas. I am not a scientist, but sounds good in theory to me. I go back and clean up the edges after removing the tape from triple thick. Let us see your end result. Photoshop is a powerful but complicated program, wish I was a wizard with it!
good luck!

Thanks!

If you look closely at my score windows I masked just inside the paint line for that very reason. The large lower right section of the BG was trashed ... completely lifted. I figured it would look like hell trying to seal it down with the plastic wrap trick, so I'm opting for this stitched in approach. I have another DD backglass, but my scans on my little scanner leave something to be desired. So if anyone has tips on getting a good scan (maybe a graphics shop?) I'd like to hear it.

#6 11 years ago

That's the problem I have is with the score window. What type of paint do I use? Thinking of cleaning up score window big time and doing it totally over.

IMG_0708.JPGIMG_0708.JPG IMG_0707.JPGIMG_0707.JPG

#7 11 years ago

You might want to consider something like Pinster is doing where you create and image in Photoshop and then make a decal (waterslide type?) for the whole white section(s). Since those areas around the reels are backlit, they will show anything that has variations ie. paint brush strokes, touch ups, partial repairs.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from pinz-in:

That's the problem I have is with the score window. What type of paint do I use? Thinking of cleaning up score window big time and doing it totally over.

Those are solid-colored areas, I don't think my patch approach is necessary. I would mask the squares, then hit with Crystal Clear (not triple thick) to seal the damaged parts. Remove the masks and re-apply masking for the solid colored areas. Apply your acrylics until you get a good color match. They're water-based, so if you screw up you just wipe off and start again. Once you have a good match, re-seal with Crystal Clear or Triple Thick. Again - this is my approach and I'm a noob at this, working on scrap backglasses. My info was gained from other "pros" recommending to me, along with a little common sense approach. So far the results have been very good. Please confirm this by reviewing info from the various sources, etc. before making matters worse.

Brian

#9 11 years ago

Not sure about that particular game, but most other EMs are translucent in those white areas surrounding the score reels. Hence my previous comment about brush strokes. Perhaps the OP, or someone with this game can verify one way or another. I have attempted to do very meticulous touch ups with white in those areas and it always shows up when the game is on.

#10 11 years ago

Can I get acrylics in a spray can? If so ,what do you recommend? figured nice even coat would look nice.

#11 11 years ago

Nice work Pinster!

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

I have attempted to do very meticulous touch ups with white in those areas and it always shows up when the game is on.

Me too.
My Space Mission's head had a few severe coil burns which stained a couple of those didgit-surrounding white areas. I tried to clean those areas with a couple quick swipes of alcohol on a soft rag but it also removed a bit of the translucent paint.
I tried to touch it up with a very light bit of pure white acrylic.

I think it looked better before I tried to fix it. Lessons learned.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from JohnDelNJ:

Nice work Pinster!

Thanks man ... this was the easy part. The real art comes with paint matching and actually putting the brush (or airbrush) to work. I have little experience. We'll see what happens.

Brian

#14 11 years ago

That Aladdin's Castle backglass looks a lot easier to touch up than mine.

100_5350.JPG100_5350.JPG

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

That'll buff right out

#16 11 years ago

ohhhh, man!! Sorry you made me laugh, I hope that never happens to anyone though!

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

OMG That is ***SO*** disturbing to see !!!!

I'd probably break down to my kneese and just weep

#18 11 years ago

Ouch!!! That hurts just seeing. Sorry I laughed, Not at shards but your comments. Is there such a thing as acrylic in a spray can that you would try? Or just stick to brushing it on.

#19 11 years ago

Guys I was told to triple thick the entire backglass before I do anything. triple thick and then touch up over triple thick. Is that how it goes. Thanks

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from pinz-in:

Guys I was told to triple thick the entire backglass before I do anything. triple thick and then touch up over triple thick. Is that how it goes. Thanks

I would say no to the triple thick first

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from pinz-in:

I would follow Pinster's advice he gave you above.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

I would say no to the triple thick first

Isn't this the seal part from what Pinster said above?

#23 11 years ago

Triple thick is ... Well "thick". I heard a recommendation on Krylon crystal Clear which goes on thinner. Bare spots might look substantially better with this thin layer on first. Remember that coating it first protects the old paint layer ... Then your touching up on top of that, then when it looks the way you want it go for the final seal. Maybe Triple Thick for the final seal is a good bet. And remember surface prep and humidity are the key factors. You want good adhesion.

#24 11 years ago

Pinster thanks great info. Going to do it right. Score windows and small spot on her leg.

#25 11 years ago

Buy a little airbrush and the you can use acrylics to spray it on. I use craft store acrylics and water them down for the airbrush with invisible glass.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from pinz-in:

Yes...
clean the BG...seal with Krylon Crystal Clear Triple Thick #0500 (not just crystal clear) touch up with acrylic paints thinned with an acrylic paint retarder (which helps with brush strokes and translucency)...the beauty of sealing first is that the original art is protected and if you are not happy with your results you can wipe it off and try again. Once you are happy with your work seal again with Krylon Crystal Clear Triple Thick #0500...

On those score windows. I would use masking tape to cover areas that should be clear (where the score reels show through) make your thin black edge then after that is dry either brush or airbrush your white.

Phoebe

#27 11 years ago

What do you recommend for a Funhouse backglass that has become somewhat translucent? Meaning, when the lamps are lit you can actually see the bulbs through the artwork - just basic lamps mind you not LEDs.

#28 11 years ago

Thanks Phoebe for the info. I'll post some when i'm done. May take awhile, working stiff ya know. Phoebe my daughters name.

#29 11 years ago

nice info in this topic

#30 11 years ago

Agree with Butterflygirl24 that is basically the method I used for my backglass.

2 years later
#31 8 years ago

Is one of these a good thinning medium to use with acrylics?
http://www.aaronbrothers.com/category/art-supplies?page=2&tags%5B%5D=Liquitex
Do I want the medium or additive?
-mof

#32 8 years ago

That Aladdins Castle bg is an easy fix.
You have enough of the score window squares to work
with. Carefully tape the back of the bg with precisely cut
squares where the score windows are. Mask off the whole
white area. Scrape of the old white with a razor. Blast it with a
rattle can of white primer. Once is good maybe twice at most.
Peel off tape and you're done.
The yellow above is the tough one. Not sure if it's translucent or not.
If it is get some of that gift paper, or flower wrapping stuff. Fold it up
and apply. Fold til it looks OK. OK is the best you can hope for on something translucent.
If it isn't translucent just start mixing your yellow til you get it right
then brush it in. Dry it and cover it with a thick silver.
Not very scary. I could do this in an hour.
Jimmiex

#33 8 years ago

Forgot to add, put something over her
glowing boob. or pull the bulb out.

#34 8 years ago

My approach was to scrape out all the failing paint, triple clear, then shoot with an airbrush. Shoot with white on the back after the colorl

Hot_Shot_166.jpgHot_Shot_166.jpg

Hot_Shot_167.jpgHot_Shot_167.jpg

Hot_Shot_168.jpgHot_Shot_168.jpg

Hot_Shot_170.jpgHot_Shot_170.jpg

HotShot_002.jpgHotShot_002.jpg

HotShot_001.jpgHotShot_001.jpg

HotShot_003.jpgHotShot_003.jpg

HotShot_004.jpgHotShot_004.jpg

#35 8 years ago

A couple more. Note, I took the after shots backlite. I think I ended up putting in binkers in some of the areas, as this helps as well.

Hot_Shot_189.jpgHot_Shot_189.jpg

HotShota_004_1.jpgHotShota_004_1.jpg

#36 8 years ago

That repair is fantastic! Are airbrushes hard to use? I've never tried using one.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

That repair is fantastic! Are airbrushes hard to use? I've never tried using one.

Not really. Just practice spraying even coats on a piece of glass first. Although if you triple thick first you can always wipe off a botched attempt if you need to. Back light it to check that it's even enough and you don't have dark/light areas.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Not really. Just practice spraying even coats on a piece of glass first. Although if you triple thick first you can always wipe off a botched attempt if you need to. Back light it to check that it's even enough and you don't have dark/light areas.

Yep, that was pretty much my approach. I practiced on some blank glass and actually shot over a tracing table. The other couple of hints are to use a hot knife to score the original ink. I think it best to cut out your bad ink prior to triple thick. As you build coats, dry the paint with a hairdryer on cold or the air from your 2 stage airbrush. To remove your friscut, score at the edges of the friscut with an xacto and even heat the friscut with the hairdryer. A lot depends on exactly what materials you use, so be sure to practice.

2 weeks later
#39 8 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

Yep, that was pretty much my approach. I practiced on some blank glass and actually shot over a tracing table. The other couple of hints are to use a hot knife to score the original ink. I think it best to cut out your bad ink prior to triple thick. As you build coats, dry the paint with a hairdryer on cold or the air from your 2 stage airbrush. To remove your friscut, score at the edges of the friscut with an xacto and even heat the friscut with the hairdryer. A lot depends on exactly what materials you use, so be sure to practice.

That is a brilliant job. I am amazed that whilst you only removed the flaky sections that the finish is beautiful with the 'filled in sections' not discernible. I have used airbrushes & I must say I think you are being extraordinarily humble in downplaying your own expertise.

3 weeks later
#40 8 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

My approach was to scrape out all the failing paint, triple clear, then shoot with an airbrush. Shoot with white on the back after the colorl

Hot_Shot_166.jpg Hot_Shot_167.jpg Hot_Shot_168.jpg Hot_Shot_170.jpg HotShot_002.jpg HotShot_001.jpg HotShot_003.jpg HotShot_004.jpg

Your repairs on that bg are the best I've seen.......

1 week later
#41 8 years ago

Just had to add my agreement, this is an order of magnitude more difficult than play field repairs of similar complexity, very very well done- can you post a shot of the back of the glass after your repairs? Curious if you sprayed with silver etc. etc. etc.

I have to admit, I had not been brave enough to pull out an air brush and try to fix a trashed back glass, I just walk away and don't buy the game. Not sure I plan on changing my strategy but honestly, I was not sure you could repair something this trashed and make it nearly invisible.

Would you be willing to write up a more detailed step by step for just a single or maybe a couple different areas that you fixed. It would be very nice to see how your masking, if your spraying it with a clear prior to working etc. etc. etc.

#42 8 years ago

Yes I agree, this is amazing work.

My question is this. What kind of paint did you use? I am assuming you used Createx but what variety works best on glass? Opaque? Transparent? The obvious answer seems to be transparent but I know better than to assume anything.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from FugTM:

My question is this. What kind of paint did you use? I am assuming you used Createx but what variety works best on glass? Opaque? Transparent?

Liquitex soft with airbrush medium to cut it. I only buy opaque. Use good paint. Golden or Liquitex. Use airbrush medium, as it retains the original properties of the paint. Don't cut with water.

#44 8 years ago

Todd,

I am unsure I follow how you fixed the cue and the guys yellow checkered pants. Did you scrape all the paint of and then repaint with a airbrush or did you actually blend new paint in?

Steve J.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from SteveinTexas:

I am unsure I follow how you fixed the cue and the guys yellow checkered pants. Did you scrape all the paint of and then repaint with a airbrush or did you actually blend new paint in?

This machine is long gone and I struggled to even find these pictures, but I do remember scraping off all the pants, including the lines and re-drawing the black key lines. I think I used a paint pen of some type. I have no clue on the cue. I think it was opaque anyway, so It really didn't matter? but I'm not sure.

No touch ups in the translucent areas were blended. Everything was new. This was quite helpful as close counts on a color match at that point. Same as playfields.

1 month later
#46 8 years ago

Hi, I have the same problem as badbilly27, my funhouse backglass is good except I can actually see the bulbs behind it. Somehow the light is not diffused like it should be. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from Shanman:

Hi, I have the same problem as badbilly27, my Funhouse backglass is good except I can actually see the bulbs behind it. Somehow the light is not diffused like it should be. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Best way to diffuse bulbs I have found is to buy the white rubber bulb condoms. Bulbs still work great but takes the glare away. And use 47's as less bright than 44's.

http://www.pbresource.com/lampcov.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-touch-up-backglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.