5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by timab2000
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Toasterdog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I have a test pad for the ground on the power module board. How would I test this? Normally I put the black on the ground braid and red on test pad. Would this be the same for the test?

and what setting on my multimeter to test the ground? Thanks

Trying to solve no backbox lights. My TP4, general illumination was good at 7.5vac. TP3 was high at 15.5 compared to recommended 11.9vdc.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I think the test pad is more for providing a ground to test the other points with. Eg, you'd put the black on the pad. If you get a different reading with the black on the pad than the ground braid

That makes sense. Thanks. It would have been pretty cool though.

Quoted from zacaj:

No backbox GI and controlled?

I have no backbox lights and no sound. Controlled lights seem okay.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Wires leaving rectifier J4 P1 and P4 should be almost zero ohm resistance to your ground test point on the rectifier board. This is the GI return for the backbox lamps.
Wires leaving rectifier J4 P8 and P9 are the GI bus. Measuring AC volts you should see 6.3vac between the ground test point.
Wire leaving rectifier J3 P11 is the switched illumination bus. Measuring DC volts you should see 6.3vdc between the ground test point.

I'm really new to the multimeter (if my first question didn't give it away, lol)

I put the red probe on the pins where it (the wire from rectifier board)connects to the boards in the backbox? and then the black probe on the ground pad on rectifier board.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Even the controlled lights in the backbox?

If the controlled lights are the flashers, then they work. Flash Gordon flashes on and off. The strobe does not work. It did, it’s an aftermarket red strobe board.

So my issues. No backbox lights, no strobe, no sound. I believe the sound is related to the backbox lights. But I’m trying to tackle lights for now and hoping that resolves the others.

For back story. The cab was restored. When I was putting everything back together I mistakingly switched the backbox lights and the small strobe transformer on the rectifier board. I believe they are plugged the same. Stupid mistake I know .

When I plugged the game in I saw a wisp of smoke from display number one. I can see no physical damage. The original displays did not work after my error, but have now been replaced with LED ones and work fine. The rest of the game appears to play fine.

I’ve always been afraid of the multimeter, but I am ready to fix this for once. I spent a lot of time restoring and I would love to get this back in action. I have replacements for all the connectors, but haven’t done anything yet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Toasterdog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-test-the-ground-flash-gordon-aftermarket-power-module?tu=Toasterdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.