(Topic ID: 16170)

How do i test a Q45 2n3005 cap that controls by drop target reset?

By billybob

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by billybob
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a20791a1348aeac83048cb_m[1].jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I just replaced this transistor and the Pinrepair guide says to ground it. I get it for the 2N6043's that have the metal tab but not sure where to test on this cap type. I've tried just touching the case to ground but get nothing. I tested the Q29 pre driver and it test good.

thanks

a20791a1348aeac83048cb_m[1].jpga20791a1348aeac83048cb_m[1].jpg

#2 11 years ago

There are 3 legs? each leg has a purpose and the emitter sometimes is grounded. does the guide give info on what leg or pin does what?

#3 11 years ago

Its this guide. http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/index.htm

How can i narrow down the problem with this one coil. i have fixed all the others but thsi one is different.

Its the drop target (4 bank) controled by Q45 withthe predriver Q29. I tested Q29 and it test the same as the other same transisters and i replaced Q45. I rewired other coil wiring and i know the coil in question works

Any thoughts?

#4 11 years ago

What's the coil doing? Try checking the diode on the coil.

#5 11 years ago

diode is fine. Coil does nothing but works fine when re-wire from another coil

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from billybob:

diode is fine. Coil does nothing but works fine when re-wire from another coil

Do you have power at the coil?

#7 11 years ago

Ohm out your wires, make sure they're good.

#8 11 years ago

Power to the coil in affirmative. I have checked the wires to the driver board. do you know a way to ground out that transistor like the tab kind to test the coil?

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from billybob:

I rewired other coil wiring and i know the coil in question works

Quoted from billybob:

Power to the coil in affirmative. I have checked the wires to the driver board. do you know a way to ground out that transistor like the tab kind to test the coil?

What Pin are you working on?
    Do you have a DMM?

#10 11 years ago

Its a sinbad. Yes i have a DMM. getting power to both sides of the coil and i got the coil to test by groudning out the transistor this weekend. i didnt have the Q45 2n3055 bolted on so it wasn't grounded duh! But now im at a loss. It wont operate to reset the drop target bank during play. not sure where to go from here.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-test-a-q45-2n3005-cap-that-controls-by-drop-target-reset and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.