Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Boise_D
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Looking for some good info about taking apart a 1976 4-player coin unit (right front, by the chimes) to clean and service.
I plan to clean it, buff the buttons, lightly teflon, and check solder connections.

My player unit will advance fine from player to player (and ball to ball) when I manually step the coil. When the game is on, it will jump between player 1 and 3 only. I suspect the coin unit. It doesn't appear gummed up. It mechanically steps up and resets properly.
I've noticed that one of the fingers on the coin unit does not spring back to make contact if I pull it up. The spring is there though.

Nic didn't come through Boise, and I don't think CFH will make a housecall this far out, so it's up to me. I'd really like this one to work again.

#2 6 years ago

I like to use silicon spray on the spring loaded shoes, seems to get them moving freely.

#3 6 years ago

Tell us the game name

#4 6 years ago

It's Royal Flush. I've been trying to get this working again for a long time now.

#5 6 years ago

When you add a credit, do you get a credit posted on the credit wheel or do you get another player added?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

I've noticed that one of the fingers on the coin unit does not spring back to make contact if I pull it up. The spring is there though.

Can you tell what's keeping the Coin Unit finger from returning? And does its spring have similar tension to the other fingers?

#7 6 years ago

The game is set up on free play with an adjustment on the credit unit. When I push the button, it starts a game or adds player 2-4.

On the coin unit, I can't tell what's keeping that finger from springing back. It looks like I can unscrew the whole unit from the bottom of the cab and swing it over closer to the coinbox area to work on it. I don't know if it has a shoulder screw I need to be cautious about, or some alignment tricks to getting it back together if I start fooling with it. I'd like to take it apart for a closer look, especially at that one spring, and cleaning.

thanks for the response.

#8 6 years ago

Can you post a picture of the coin unit, maybe a couple from different angles?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

I'd like to take it apart for a closer look, especially at that one spring, and cleaning.

I wouldn't recommend that kind of disassembly until you're an expert. But if you're sure you want to do it, have a look at this thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-gtb-sky-jump-ball-count-unit-stepper-teardown-rebuild#post-4104160

#10 6 years ago

I did mine cold turkey never seen an EM before. Nothing hard if you are mechanically inclined.
1. Take pictures
2. Take more pictures you wish you did before its all apart.
3. Ultrasonic and tumbler, reassemble and lube a few small places.
4. Follow that guide above looks good.
5. Don't mess up shoulder bolt.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

I wouldn't recommend that kind of disassembly until you're an expert. But if you're sure you want to do it, have a look at this thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-gtb-sky-jump-ball-count-unit-stepper-teardown-rebuild#post-4104160

wow. I'll do some cleaning and servicing, but not that far. Nice to know replacement finger springs are available if needed.
Thanks for the link

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-service-a-gottlieb-coin-unit?hl=hd_fatboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.