(Topic ID: 180033)

How do I safely dispose my old pinball glass

By Silverstreak02

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

glass (resized).jpg
    IMG_1999 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

I have a new play field glass coming today and need to get rid of the old one. How do I do this safely?

#2 7 years ago
    Quoted from Silverstreak02:

I have a new play field glass coming today and need to get rid of the old one. How do I do this safely?

Our local recycling center accepts large sheets of glass. That being said, I have tended to hold onto my old sheets to use in a pinch or give to a friend in need.

#3 7 years ago

I put them in a large heavy duty garbage bag, then tap the corner with a hammer or anything really. It take very little to shatter a piece of tempered glass by taping on the edge.

Then the small but heavy bag of glass goes in the recycling can.

#4 7 years ago

The old glass is tempered or plated?

Bruce

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

The old glass is tempered or plated?

Unless the tempered glass has a logo (bug) etched onto it, probably won't know until you break it. Most tempered pinball glass is not identified.

I probably would hang onto it. You may pick-up a game missing a glass or someone you know breaks theirs and you have a spare to give them.

#6 7 years ago

It's pretty easy to tell by tapping on the glass. I plan to offer my old plated pinball glass free on craigslist. (Bought a replacement tempered glass locally with no mark on it)

Bruce

#7 7 years ago

Believe me, as soon as you get rid of the old glass, you'll need it. Wonder how I know that.

You can probably find someone local that would be glad to take if off your hands unless it is damaged to the point of being unusable.

#8 7 years ago

More than once I have been glad to have an old sheet of glass in the garage....

#10 7 years ago

Glass blowing shops will take it if one is near you, they melt it down and use it. Colleges near you might have a class with glass blowing offered.

#11 7 years ago

You'd be surprised how many people want that glass if it's in anything but absolutely atrocious condition. Go here and RGP and see if anybody wants to come get it for free.

#12 7 years ago

If it's tempered I'd definitely keep it but if it's plated then I'd get rid of it because it's dangerous. (that's why I plan to get rid of the plated glass that was in my pinball machine)

Bruce

#13 7 years ago

Give the kids some safety glasses and a hammer. Fun afternoon!

IMG_1999 (resized).JPGIMG_1999 (resized).JPG

#14 7 years ago

Well I'm surprised with the responses to keep it or that someone may actually want the old one. Mine is scratched up and has spots of stains that won't clean. I installed the new one tonight and it made a big difference. If anyone wants to come over and get it for free send me a PM. I'll keep it until this weekend then I'll have fun with a plastic bag and hammer as suggested. Safety glasses of course.

#15 7 years ago

I'd throw it in a dumpster.

#16 7 years ago

Like others have said, if it is plate glass(not tempered) pitch it.

If it is tempered there are residual uses/interest in it in the pinball community.

#17 7 years ago

Our local trash dump lets you just throw the old sheets in the big dumpster. Makes a great explosion when it hits.

#18 7 years ago

If it's tempered, then keep it out of the dumpster. It's easy to check. I found a test on websites dedicated to home aquariums. Some aquarium owners modify them by drilling holes in the glass so they can add a sump pump. If their tank is made of tempered glass and they try to drill it, then it will shatter. So, they developed a tempered glass test.

It's pretty simple. I took my laptop from work home, found a web page that was all blue, held the screen behind the glass, put on some polarized glasses (I used the 3D glasses they give you at the movie theater), and looked through the glass at the blue screen. If you see black lines or a darkened smudge in the glass, then it's tempered. Seeing no lines means plate glass, and you can pitch it.

Try the test on your side car windows to see the lines.

#19 7 years ago

I save mine for when guys come out here to shoot. We prop it up on top of some pallets and fire away.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I put them in a large heavy duty garbage bag, then tap the corner with a hammer or anything really. It take very little to shatter a piece of tempered glass by taping on the edge.
    Then the small but heavy bag of glass goes in the recycling can.

I do the exact same thing, but drop the first "smasher" bag into another bag to make sure all the tiny pieces stay where they belong. I tried to just "put 2 sheets out to the curb" a while back ... got back that evening after work and saw a thousand pieces of tempered glass in the road outside my driveway. I'm guessing the guy grabbed the sheets and tossed them into the open back of the truck and then got a shower as they exploded both into and out of the truck.

Took me over an hour to clean it up. Never again!

2 weeks later
    #21 7 years ago

So, is it like, almost white with scratches and stains? if so, ok, go ahead and smash it like you are in a steroid rage, if its just some minor ones here and there, keep it since there is always need for PF glasses.

#22 7 years ago

List it on Craigslist for the crafters to use. I have several buckets of broken glass pieces (thanks mike) to use in sculptures and mosaics. If you can leave it in 1 piece they can put tape on one side before breaking to use the crackle effect in art projects. Makes great dragonfly wings,

#23 7 years ago

glass (resized).jpgglass (resized).jpg

#24 7 years ago

Bag O'Glass was good, but their best product was the invisible pedestrian Halloween costume.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-safely-dispose-my-old-pinball-glass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.