(Topic ID: 205691)

How do I repair broken wire ball guide (Time machine return lane)

By jaybeedee

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

The wire ball guide (Part # 535-5300-01 2 1/2" wire ball guide) has broken and is swinging around damaging the playfield.

When I first looked at it, I thought I could just push it back in, but now I realise that it has broken just below the playfield level and above the barbed end.

My first question is how do I get it out (the end which is not broken seems very seated still). I assume that the bottom of the guide is still stuck in the hole and I can't work out, how I will get that out.

If I can get it out, what is the best way to repair/replace, esp if I have to drill it out?

I see that Marco stocks the part, but I am in New Zealand, so the freight costs and time will be a killer, but from the manual I can see there is another 2.5" wire ball guide at the top of the shooter lane, so I am figuring I might be able to use that and replace it with a hand formed guide, because it is hidden under the plastics.

Has anybody got any good ideas for how best to approach this ?

Thanks
John
Time Machine

#2 6 years ago

Is the wire guide drilled through to the underside of the playfield? If so, get a punch and tap it up and out from underneath the playfield.

#3 6 years ago

Tapping it out from underneath can result in losing chips of wood around the hole. If the hole is all the way through the field, tap the broken piece down and out.

Bicycle spokes make good wire guide stock.

#4 6 years ago

No, it doesn't go right through (and there is quite a lot of wiring etc directly underneath. I am going to have to either drill a new hole from the top in a different position or somehow get the old piece out and then pack/fill the hole.

Thanks for the tip on bike spokes, I just happen to have a wheel I usually use on my wind trainer, which got broken moving, so I have some spokes to work with.

1 week later
#5 6 years ago

OK, resolved.

When I took off the under-playfield assembly below the wire guide I saw that a previous owner had pushed the broken wire guide right through. It had made a bit of a mess underneath, so if I was having to do it on another machine I would drill a shallow hole from underneath, so that the wood didn't split when it was punched through.

Becausee I didn't have a new ball guide I just reversed the broken one. It seems pretty firm, and the low part is where it is not being knocked by the ball at any angle.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-repair-broken-wire-ball-guide-time-machine-return-lane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.