(Topic ID: 64975)

How do I repair a gouge in the bare wood by the flippers and match the color?

By fattdirk

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by fattdirk
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

tmp_20130928_144415851862179.jpg

#1 6 years ago

I just picked up a Joker Poker this weekend. The game in in overall really nice shape except by the flipper there is a gouge in the wood right at the top of the flipper stroke. It looked like whoever replaced the flipper bats didn't align them correctly because the tip of the flipper was digging into the wood. It appears that the right flipper has just dug a little hole over time. My question is I'm planning on using QuikWood to fill in the hole and paint it where there is art, but how do I get it to match where the PF is bare wood?

Will the QuickWood match close enough?

The gouge is about the size of a pea, but since it is so close to the flippers it is really noticable. If i can figure out how to get photos off my phone I'll upload a picture.

#2 6 years ago

you'll have to zoom in to see.

tmp_20130928_144415851862179.jpg

#3 6 years ago

I use JB weld to fill in. I put painters tape on good playfield then use JB weld make sure to make it smooth with playfield. Let it dry. Sand lightly then remove blue painters . Touch up with paint and put Mylar or spot clear.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks for the help, but what color does JB weld dry to? How do I match that golden aged wood color?

#5 6 years ago

JB weld drys gray. Then try to match color. You could try wood filler.

#6 6 years ago

I would repaint the red section to match. And when that is dry just fill in the entire bad spot with layers of clear until you match the level of the playing surface.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Jags:

I would repaint the red section to match. And when that is dry just fill in the entire bad spot with layers of clear until you match the level of the playing surface.

The picture is hard to see but the gouge extends past the red into the bare wood area. I had someone tell me that trying to paint match the honey color of the wood would make it look nice. I might try that.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

I had someone tell me that trying to paint match the honey color of the wood would make it look nice.

What I meant was to just fill the wood area with clear finish. The original wood would just show through the clear.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Jags:

What I meant was to just fill the wood area with clear finish. The original wood would just show through the clear.

Are you talking automotive clear or a rattle can product like varathane?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Are you talking automotive clear or a rattle can product like varathane?

Whatever you got handy. I often use clear nail polish if I get a small ding in the finish of one of my guitars. Should work for a pin also. Don't use a spray on as that is a pretty small ding. Just use some clear and a small brush and do multiple coats until the hole is filled and level with the playfield.

Also search the forum. Should be a lot of info on this out there.

#11 6 years ago

I've worked around a bunch of cabinet makers and trim carpenters.
They always used a method similar to the one described in this article:
http://homerenovations.about.com/od/legalsafetyissues/a/artmakewoodputt.htm

You can use sawdust, collected from a sample of your wood (or similarly aged wood), mixed with wood glue to make a filler putty. A trick not mentioned by the article is that you can experiment with adding wood stain to vary the color. Just add small amounts of stain and run test batches until you get the perfect match you want. Very much like color matching with paint, it takes time and patience if you want perfection.

Keep in mind also that wood glue-based fillers will not accept stain after drying. So you have to get the match perfect prior to application.

#12 6 years ago

That's guys for the info. This thread is really getting me pumped to fix my joker poker. I have to play another 100 + games on it before I can break it down and let her go to repair the damage. The game is so good. I really appreciate the help.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.00
$ 289.00
€ 8.40
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 29.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 65.00
Playfield - Plastics
Vandelay Industries
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside