(Topic ID: 186556)

How Do I Remove This Heatsink?

By rogerdodger

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capacitor C20-C21.jpg
    heatsink (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Hi Guys:

Replacing a component on a circuit board and it would be much easier if I could remove one of the heatsinks.

Please look at the picture and advise, if you can.

It looks like the heatsink has a couple of round steel posts that go through the circuit board but I have no idea how to remove it. It looks like solder but I don't think it is.

You will see the 4 posts (2 for each heatsink) shown vertically in the picture.

Thanks.

Roger

heatsink (resized).jpgheatsink (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Looks like solder to me.

#3 7 years ago

It's a very common type of heatsink. Tin plated Steel pins that are soldered to the PCB.

You will need a very hot iron to remove the heatsinks and risk damage to the PCB.

I would leave them and work around the heatsinks.

#4 7 years ago

Take it to Fred, Home Use Pinball.

#5 7 years ago

I've this strong feeling that these heatsinks are actual Capacitor C20 + C21 on the soundboard for WPC-DCS

Are you sure you want to remove those ?

Capacitor C20-C21.jpgCapacitor C20-C21.jpg

(note: added schematic on your photo is flipped vertical)

#6 7 years ago

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

I think it makes sense to leave the heatsink in place and work around it!

Thanks again.

Roger

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-remove-this-heatsink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.