(Topic ID: 188419)

How do I remove this ball lift rod?

By pindoc1

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0111 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0110 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

I am looking at having the front panel mechanisms replated on my 1933 Gottlueb Big Broadcast. The ball lift rod has become a puzzle. The exterior part of the rod is threaded onto an orange plastic appearing original knob that I do not want to break. The inside part of the rod appears to be solidly attached to what actuates the ball lift. Both ends are too large to fit through the hole in the cabinet or housing. I am wanting to send the housing for plating but can't remove it from the cabinet or the rod from the housing because the knob will not unscrew from the rod. I do not want to force it at the risk of breaking an 85 year old piece of plastic. Any suggestions?

IMG_0110 (resized).JPGIMG_0110 (resized).JPG

IMG_0111 (resized).JPGIMG_0111 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

I am considering heating the rod to see if that might loosen it.

#3 6 years ago

Lock the metal piece with a pair of vice grips so it can't turn and have someone hold on to it. Wrap a non stretchy rag around the knob and twist up the rag with a screwdriver (sort of create a figure of eight with one bit around the knob and the other with the screwdriver through it). Get it tight, then poor boiling water over it (obviously watch out for yourself). Wait a couple of minutes, retighten the rag and twist.

The soaked rag should grip without damaging and the hot water will allow the plastic to very slightly expand initially and then contract breaking its lock on the rod - hopefully.

Best of luck and don't burn yourself.

#4 6 years ago

Ok. Thank you very much. I will give it a try.

#5 6 years ago

Your suggestion worked great once I realized I had to have the twist of the fabric around the knob in the same direction as I was trying to loosen it so that it would tighten the grip on the knob as I was turning it. (Duh!)
    I was able to get it taken apart and off the cabinet. Soon it will be on its way to the plating company.
    Thanks very much for your help.
    Bruce

#6 6 years ago

Result, well done that man, and hopefully no burns either.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-remove-this-ball-lift-rod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.