Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by stangbat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0099.jpg
    IMAG0356.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

Swapping boards and I don't know how to remove this part. How is it done???

IMAG0356.jpgIMAG0356.jpg

#2 12 years ago

Check GPE, I'm pretty sure Ed sells a tool for that.

#3 12 years ago

You need this adjustable chip puller from radioshack.

IMAG0099.jpgIMAG0099.jpg

#4 12 years ago

It Figures I would need a special tool. I can't make it to the shack until this weekend. Thanks, and thanks for the picture so I don't sound like an idiot trying to explain that tool.

#5 12 years ago

could use a jewlers screw driver flat blade alos just have to be very careful

#6 12 years ago

How do you use that puller? Do you just insert it in the slots ,upper right and lower left pf the chip?

#7 12 years ago

As dvandentop stated, use a small jeweler's screwdriver. Go back and forth, pry a little at at time at the slotted corners. I don't know how many legs I messed up on chips and EPROMs with those stupid pullers before I wised up and quit using them. Never again. I've never messed up any using small screwdrivers and working the chip out slowly from each end.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

As dvandentop stated, use a small jeweler's screwdriver. Go back and forth, pry a little at at time. I don't know how many legs I messed up on chips and EPROMs with those stupid pullers before I wised up and quit using them. Never again. I've never messed up any using small screwdrivers and working the chip out slowly from each end.

werd usually those dumb pullers slip and then then you are effed! with bent pins and all

#9 12 years ago

Alright, Im gonna go for it with a little screwdriver.

#10 12 years ago

I took some out with a super small screwdriver also. Jammed it in the corner and they popped out. Once I did it it wasn't scary in the least.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from BillinIndiana:

How do you use that puller? Do you just insert it in the slots ,upper right and lower left pf the chip?

Exactly.

Then just squeeze and it does the extracting for you.

#12 12 years ago

Hell yeah! It's out and in the new board. New board is in and my wh20 problems are solved. Time to bring it in the house. (Must check boob thread first) Thanks guys.

#13 12 years ago

The tool is called a PLCC extractor.

That particular chip is no longer made - has not been made since the late 90s. I would be very careful when changing them. I wouldn't use a screwdriver to pull them!

#14 12 years ago

Johnwartjr, I plan on using the old board in another game after having it repaired. What are my options on getting another chip if they are not made anymore? Thanks.

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from doublezo1:

Johnwartjr, I plan on using the old board in another game after having it repaired. What are my options on getting another chip if they are not made anymore? Thanks.

Here's one:
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2299

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-remove-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.