• Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WOZ head (resized).jpeg
WOZ Cabinet (resized).jpeg
#1 10 years ago

Need to remove the backbox to get this thing through a narrow doorway. Anyone have a step by step?

Anyone done this before?

Thanks

#2 10 years ago

Whatever you do, don't snap off all the locking tabs on the connectors..

Sorry, someone had to say it.

#3 10 years ago

Hopefully someone has done it and replies - I may have to do it also

#4 10 years ago

I hope to get a WOZ Standard this month and might have the same problem. Could someone please give me the measurements (width) of the backbox. I assume that is the widest part on the pin. Thanks.

#5 10 years ago

just fold the backbox down , secure it (straps) , stand up the machine , (straight up ,) and slide it thru your doorway. your front door is 36 inches wide , interior doors are less 32 inches wide (varies)

#6 10 years ago

Or undo the bolts and turn the head 90degrees to slide it through

#7 10 years ago

Mission accomplished, took a few minutes,

I have a 30" door that goes to the 3rd floor of my house where my gameroom is, yes, pins must go up and down 2 flights of stairs each time.

Easy way to remove back box,

With back box folded down, remove the VGA cable from the monitor, unplug the small light cable (plug is visible with back box down, pull glass and lift playfield forward, unplug the two speaker cables from the back of the computer, unplug the one other plug that goes down into the cabinet with the light plug, you will need to cut a few zip ties loose, unplug the power wire from the right side of the cabinet that feeds power to the monitor

undo the two nuts (allen wrench 1/4") that hold the hinge to the cabinet, pull out the two small bolts

lift off the back box, the power cable along with speaker RCA cables will be dangling along with the one plug the is along the left side of cabinet. Those nuts are tough to remove, use a small socket wrench, i tried with a nut driver and that was not easy, helps to have someone wiggle the back box a little to remove stress from the nuts and bolts

then basically reassemble when you get it to the location you want it. This also lightens up the pin about 50-60lbs for moving up and down stairs.

#8 10 years ago

Helps to have a nice hand truck, I purchased one of these

http://www.lowes.com/pd_498412-929-79480_0__?productId=4765249&Ntt=hand+truck&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dhand%2Btruck&facetInfo=

Much nicer than the single handled ones to move heavy pins, much more control, basically a dead lift as you back up the stairs with someone at bottom giving you a push

#9 10 years ago

When I moved mine into a basement with a double-back style stairwell, we took the backbox off as you say, removed the playfield (not terrible, but use a sharpie to put witness marks on the connectors that go into the computer), and the computer. We didn't, but easily could have, remove the transformer, shaker motor, and such, too. Also, take lots of pictures so you can see how things looked before you got your grubby hands on it

#10 10 years ago

Probably easier to take the door off...

#11 10 years ago

The measurement on the backboxs of the WOZ and Stern are the same are they not? If a Stern pinball fits through the door then the WOZ should. Right?

1 week later
#12 10 years ago

Width of the backbox is 28 1/2". If I'm not mistaken, the width of the game itself is about 26". I breathed a little sigh of relief when the door I have to fit mine through measured 29"!

2 years later
#13 8 years ago

Trying to update this post , I have a moving van arriving with my WOZ and am not sure how to remove the backbox if needed ? With backbox laying flat on top of playfield glass, can it be removed from there or ? I see notes above about removing playfield etc. not sure why ?
I have a bit of a turn going into the lower level on the stairs .
If the width of the backbox is 28.5 inches what is the total depth with the back box folded down . In other words width and length when game is standing up on its rear . ??

1 year later
#14 7 years ago

Thanks very much for this post! Helped me greatly today. I was looking at the monitor of my newly-delivered WOZ and thinking ?????. Doesn't swing out like CFTBL! ha ha. Told Jack on his FB page that this needs to be in the Ops Manual.

Could not have figured this out without you guys. Much appreciated UKCatsFan76 and everyone else.

11 months later
#15 6 years ago

This thread was very helpful as I too needed to remove the head on my WOZ so I could get it down the 90 degree turn in my basement staircase. I had to do the same thing for my Theatre of Magic years ago and WOZ was MUCH MUCH easier!

I have two pictures I marked up to help the next WOZ owner who has to do this. There are also two additional connectors that are in the bottom of the cabinet that need disconnected (not pictured) but they are simple to label and reconnect, so no issue there either.

Hope this helps someone.

Pat

WOZ Cabinet (resized).jpegWOZ Cabinet (resized).jpeg

WOZ head (resized).jpegWOZ head (resized).jpeg

#16 6 years ago

WOZ and Hobbit are mercifully simple to remove - Dialed In, which i just had to do yesterday, was AWFUL to do.

We had to remove all cables (as many as as a WPC game), unsolder the cab speaker, cut a whole bunch of zip ties, and open up the computer to disconnect several Cables inside there! Then 3 things run from the backbox to the coin door with no disconnects, so they had to be fully removed the whole length ...So just FYI!

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

WOZ and Hobbit are mercifully simple to remove - Dialed In, which i just had to do yesterday, was AWFUL to do.
We had to remove all cables (as many as as a WPC game), unsolder the cab speaker, cut a whole bunch of zip ties, and open up the computer to disconnect several Cables inside there! Then 3 things run from the backbox to the coin door with no disconnects, so they had to be fully removed the whole length ...So just FYI!

Was thinking I wanted a Dialed In until you told us that! HAHA! Wonder why they moved the boards into the head? I for one love them in the cabinet... at least so far... in the few weeks that I have had my WOZ.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from kickthefog:

Was thinking I wanted a Dialed In until you told us that! HAHA! Wonder why they moved the boards into the head? I for one love them in the cabinet... at least so far... in the few weeks that I have had my WOZ.

I really don’t know; it sort of doesn’t make sense. Or at least the benefits aren’t obvious. The backbox is now REALLY heavy, and the cabinet is .. well, STILL really heavy! I wouldn’t mind so much if they had made it a few - even a whole lot of - connections a la WOZ/Hobbit. But no, you have to be comfortable dealing with P.C. connections, soldering, and running the wires back to where they belong. It’s absolutely doable - just take a lot of pictures and maybe a stiff drink...

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I really don’t know; it sort of doesn’t make sense. Or at least the benefits aren’t obvious. The backbox is now REALLY heavy, and the cabinet is .. well, STILL really heavy! I wouldn’t mind so much if they had made it a few - even a whole lot of - connections a la WOZ/Hobbit. But no, you have to be comfortable dealing with P.C. connections, soldering, and running the wires back to where they belong. It’s absolutely doable - just take a lot of pictures and maybe a stiff drink...

I agree completely. Thanks for the heads up once again. It is definitely nice to know that going in... if I decide to get one.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from kickthefog:

I agree completely. Thanks for the heads up once again. It is definitely nice to know that going in... if I decide to get one.

Once you put the time in and get it in the house... it will never leave. So keep that in mind

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Once you put the time in and get it in the house... it will never leave. So keep that in mind

Haha! Quite true, I’m sure.

#22 6 years ago

Unless you move to a new house

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 24.50
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

13,000 (OBO)
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-remove-backbox-from-woz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.