(Topic ID: 202255)

How do I reduce GI lighting to 3 volts

By prowlerman99

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

OK, this is for the electronics guys. I am attempting to add a mod to my JP and need 3 volts. I was going to rob voltage from the closest GI light for the mod.
    I did something like this years ago when I added a plasma light to a Genesis pop bumper. Thought i used n4401, 4407 or something like that in series but don't remember the specifics. Tried to Google this and am even more confused now..
    Sorry but I have never been known for my electronics prowess... leave that up to the experts... thanks!!!

#2 6 years ago

3VAC or DC? What kind of thing are you driving? Does it need to be controlled via gi?

#3 6 years ago

Tough to do with ac cause youll only have half the wave output, try a voltage splitter cuircut, check out this link it has a calculator just plug in your values, would work much better from a dc source but this is all i can think of besides randomly throwing in resistors in series and reading a meter. Learn.sparkfun.com

#5 6 years ago

You can find variable step down boards, and dedicated, on Ebay for around $2.
    Just run a meter at output to check.
    Fast, easy, clean.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks Guys, I had a new JP gate printed and bought some micro led's to put one the columns. Also thinking about putting some in the MB figure eyes. Not sure exactly sure but I think it would work best if I connected to the controlled lamps. I like the thought of them coming on and staying lit like the GI lights but not exactly sure.
    The step down board would probably work as all the lights can be on one string..

#7 6 years ago

This may seem like a stupid question but can put a pot on the power wire, adjust it down to 3 volts and leave it there? I have a vehicle resistor pack to bad on my car. Quite expensive to replace. I installed a pot
    entiometer on the power wire and now have an variable adjustable fan speed, with no resistor pack.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-reduce-gi-lighting-to-3-volts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.