Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by wizzardz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

My TTR's right flipper seems like it's not as strong as it used to be. The pinball is having trouble making it up the ramp. What's the cause and solution for this and is it possible to replace it with one that's stronger? How are they rated as far as power vs strength or what not. Yep I said what not. Usually dont but it seemed to fit, anyways I guess I'm looking for a lesson on coils. I haven't found a good one on the net yet. I'm sure someone knows where to find it. Thanks.

#2 12 years ago

The coil is probably fine. You'll probably want to check out the coil sleeve. It's plastic tubing that runs through the coil. It could be dirty or cracked. You could also buy an entire flipper rebuild kit.

If for some reason you must replace the coil (not likely), you'll want to get the same power that's meant for the machine. If you have a manual you'll find the part number. You can type the part number on sites like marcospec.com and the part will come right up.

#3 12 years ago

quick fix;

1, pull out coil sleeve and clean
2, 'sand' down the flipper crank (plunger) end with some emery cloth (it's prob 'shroomed out')
3, 'sand' down the flipper (plunger) stop assembly with emery cloth (where the plunger makes impact)

this will help for a lil bit, i'd just order a new flipper rebuild kit. once you 'sand' down these parts, they lose length, which changes the striking points.

thats what i'd do

#4 12 years ago

I'm really on a roll shopping my blackout today. I hate to stop and mess with TTR but the kids are whining so I guess I have no choice. I'll let you know how it goes.

#5 12 years ago

if the coil sleeve is stuck or hard to remove you can use a nut driver to push it out. in this case you should also replace the sleeve as it's probably toast. if you get a rebuild kit be sure to replace the bushing as well, they aren't included in the rebuild kit but they are cheap.

#6 12 years ago

need to rebuild my ft since not sure on history of it.

does most the mid 90's stuff use same flipper rebuilds?

#7 12 years ago

also make sure your table is at the proper angle or youre expecting too much from the coil,,,

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from dvandentop:

need to rebuild my ft since not sure on history of it.

does most the mid 90's stuff use same flipper rebuilds?

I think that most Bally/Williams pins from the 90's use the same kit. here is a link to a kit

http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=235

#9 12 years ago

Flipper fixed. I had bought all the parts to rebuild them at the York show a few weeks ago. The plastic bushings was cracked. I went ahead and broke them down, cleaned with alcohol and replaced all worn parts. Works like a champ. Thanks all.

#10 12 years ago

awesome, glad you got it fixed!

#11 12 years ago

awesome man! pinside rocks...doesn't it

#12 12 years ago

just found my white water pop up plunger for the lost cave or whatever bushing has some wear on it so looks like will need a new bushing.

gonna make a big marco order for anything i think i will need soon since they are offering free shipping

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from dvandentop:

gonna make a big marco order for anything i think i will need soon since they are offering free shipping

free shipping? might have to order all my parts for the taxi restore.

#14 12 years ago

congrats, good to hear to fix

#15 12 years ago

Nothing like having spare parts around just in case. When something breaks and I already have spare parts for the fix I feel like the pinball gods are proud of me

#16 12 years ago

great fix!

#17 12 years ago

Another thing to check (though not likely an issue in this case - but more for FYI) is the flipper return spring. My SM had a tough time making the left ramp from the right flipper. While I'm sure the sleeves need replacing on all three, the right flipper seemed noticeably weaker.

In looking further, I found that the right flipper spring had apparently required a replacement at some point. The replacement spring used was bigger/stronger than the original, and coil had trouble overcoming the tension thus making it weaker.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-make-my-flippers-stronger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.