Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by RyanStl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I have jurassic park lost world that's running on 2.1. Id like to get it to 2.2. how do I do that? i found the rom on ipdb but have no idea how to burn it on whatever hardware i need. Does someone have a link or want to post how its done? i havent really seen much online, so If i can get some advise on how to do it, ill post a video so others can find out how its done.

Thanks y'all pinheads!

#2 3 years ago

You would need an EPROM programmer (about $50 at eBay) and a blank EPROM (or UV erase lamp for your current EPROM), although I would keep the old version just in case the new one does not work.

Basically, the procedure is simple: You connect the programmer to USB port of your computer, launch the programming software, select the correct EPROM type, insert the blank EPROM into the programmer socket, load the file that you got from ipdb.org and select "program device" from menu. Then remove the old EPROM from CPU board (with power off), insert the newly programmed one - taking care for correct orientation and power on again. Your game should now be running with the latest software.

If this is a one-time need, your best bet is to buy a ready programmed EPROM or find someone nice Pinsider with a programmer to make it for you.

#3 3 years ago

Also, you will loose all highscores and settings will revert to default when changing ROM.

#4 3 years ago

FLASH!!!! AHAHHHHH!

ITS NOT THE IMPOSSIBLE!!
Cue freddie mercury.

#5 3 years ago

Unless you think you will program a lot of EPROMs you should just pay someone a few bucks to send you an updated one. I can't speak for your game but some games require updating multiple EPROMs (for example, if you update the game program files you need to update the sound ones too). Usually the upgrade notes associated with the upgrade explain this.

I have arcade games as well as pinball machines and I decided to buy the GQ-4X. This was after using a cheaper made programmer from China that had software which was poorly supported in Windows 7 / 10 and I did not feel like keeping an XP PC or image around. The really really cheap ones are less compatible and what is the point with having something that burns fewer types of EPROMs?

The challenge I ran into being a complete novice at this was (1) understanding which EPROM I can use for each application / size and which ones can be interchanged. Also these days finding the chips is an issue as well. Internet research helped solve all these issues and if need be the message boards have tons of people who really know what they are doing and will walk you through stuff.

Having it is a nice tool but I think I had to use it 6-7 times to break even versus paying someone $10-$15 for what I need and I've just about done that now. I burned my own free play roms for various older games and a few pinball EPROM updates. I also recently fixed my arcade Tron board which had an EPROM data go bad randomly for reasons unknown to me other than it was 30+ years old. I pulled the EPROM and dumped the data and compared it to a known good EPROM and discovered it was corrupt. Burned a new one and it worked.

Lastly if you are into arcade collecting you can use it to identify an unknown game. Pull an EPROM, dump the data and compare to the internet database. Board identified. I helped a friend who hit a warehouse sale identify some oddball stuff.

SIDE NOTE: I played Donkey Kong in an arcade and noticed I was really good at it (compared to my Donkey Kong at home). I discovered with my programmer by dumping my EPROM that I had a "hard" version of Donkey Kong that operators installed back in the day to make the game harder and kick good players off it. I was able to replace that version with the factory original version of the game. Neat discovery and I was better a the game because the only thing I "had" was a tough version and I did not even realize it for about a year.

#6 3 years ago

Checkout Matt's Basement Arcade. I got an updated ROM from them a month ago for BW, and I'm very happy. Great price and fast shipping.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods

$ 27.95
$ 18.95
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 18.95
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-install-a-new-rom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.