(Topic ID: 322796)

How do I get the high score to show on the backboard?

By Brewchap

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by slochar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220930_072539 (resized).jpg
    20220930_072545 (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

I got an MPU Stern200 in Nine Ball. The board has had some battery damage that I repaired. Somehow the CMOS or memory got corrupted and it was showing weird numbers for the high score. I when to the diagnosis menu and reset everything. Since then I get blank displays for the high score when it time to be displayed. What settings do I need to change to get the high scores back on the displays?

#2 1 year ago

You need to step through the audits in self test and clear out each and every one.
    Press the self test button 6 times to get past the self tests and into the first audit.
    Press the button next to the self test to clear the entry, '00' should be displayed in player 1 display.
    The first 3 audit entries are the replay scores. After clearing, you can hold in the credit button to set the score at the desired level, then press the self test button to step to the next one.
    Step through the remaining entries, clearing each one.
    The game will reboot once you've stepped through all of them.

#3 1 year ago

Cool! I give it a shoot. Thank you

#4 1 year ago

I was able to do as you described and I also was able to put in the high scores that I wanted. I played a game, beat the high score that I set, But the high scores still do not show up on the backboard. Weird.

#5 1 year ago

Check MPU switches 15 and 16. If both are off the high game to date feature is disabled. I've never disabled the feature on any of my games, so I have no idea whether or not it still displays the high score.

#6 1 year ago

mpu200 stern games it does not. 15/16 are just for the # of credits, setting to 0 credits still has hstd going. gottlieb and wms games I think will disable showing it though.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

Check MPU switches 15 and 16. If both are off the high game to date feature is disabled. I've never disabled the feature on any of my games, so I have no idea whether or not it still displays the high score.

Setting dip 15 and 16 to ON, made no difference.

#8 1 year ago

I've also noticed that the Highscore to date light does not light up either when it comes time for the highscore to be displayed. Has to be something simple as it worked before.

What controls the highscore?

#9 1 year ago

There might be a bug in the version of 9 ball regarding the hstd. Sometimes it cycles and sometimes it doesn't. I'll look at it in the future and see if I can determine what's wrong with that.

UPDATE: So I'm testing the version v21 in pinmame, and I can't get the hstd to not show at bootup, but it won't cycle the last scores. I'll have to try and play a game virtually to see what happens at the end of the game. There was an issue with the quicksilver software and this but that was concerning the matching being off/on. Do you happen to have match on in case it turns out to be a similar thing?

#10 1 year ago

ok, I just tested both ways in pinmame, there is an error in processing at bootup - it will only show the hstd on the displays. After the game is played, it works fine. (if match is on or off). So, this is the opposite of what you're seeing, which is strange. The hstd lamp does cycle on and off at the end of the game as its supposed to, and it's lit on the stuck hstd at bootup as well. I will likely redo it so it cycles at bootup since it's supposed to do that, but I don't get why you're getting the opposite of what the stuck routine is here.

here's the code snippet.... it's actually something that didn't get changed in 9 ball, (unlike quicksilver, which had much tighter code):
    swi ; start pigs
    rcflagset ; set pigs multiprocessing flag
    lampbvalueon $32 ; game over
    show_credits ; get credits on display
    show_hstd ; get hstd on all 4 displays
    update_match ; do match/game over

So the show hstd routine does key off having the game over lamp lit, (at least on quicksilver it did, which was the bug).

I think likely what's going on so it's not cycling is that the timer for it is not getting set so I'll double check that.

#11 1 year ago

hmmm.... I'm looking deeper into this, this is one game I didn't really optimize/cut out things from the code to shoehorn the fixes in. So most of it is the stock stern code. Between the original code and the mod, there's an added routine that's not in other games that is responsible for doing the single saucer eject in the stock game added into the hstd display routine. I'm not using that but it's still in the new code, I think it's there so that if you try and start a game without all the balls, it sets a flag which this routine reacts to to just eject the saucer (regardless if a ball is in it or not).

I also use this routine but I check the saucer switch and eject it if its closed as the new software puts all the balls in the trough, no ball carryover. I will excise the routine that was originally there and it should solve your non-cycling display issue.

uploaded v22 with this change to http://tsqmadness.com/slochar/ZIP/ if you want to give it a try, versions for weebly, 716, 732 included.

#12 1 year ago

Thank you! I will burn this when I get home this evening and try it out.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from slochar:

hmmm.... I'm looking deeper into this, this is one game I didn't really optimize/cut out things from the code to shoehorn the fixes in. So most of it is the stock stern code. Between the original code and the mod, there's an added routine that's not in other games that is responsible for doing the single saucer eject in the stock game added into the hstd display routine. I'm not using that but it's still in the new code, I think it's there so that if you try and start a game without all the balls, it sets a flag which this routine reacts to to just eject the saucer (regardless if a ball is in it or not).
    I also use this routine but I check the saucer switch and eject it if its closed as the new software puts all the balls in the trough, no ball carryover. I will excise the routine that was originally there and it should solve your non-cycling display issue.
    uploaded v22 with this change to http://tsqmadness.com/slochar/ZIP/ if you want to give it a try, versions for weebly, 716, 732 included.

I just burned a set and at boot up I get random numbers and then the pin locks up. I going to burn another set to see if I have the same problem.

#14 1 year ago

I had a better burn this time. Game boot up just fine. Still does not show the highscore or does the highscore lamp flash.

Out of curiosity, When there is a change made to the software, Do I re-burn all chips or just one?

#15 1 year ago

Usually you have to reburn all unless otherwise stated. The file has different formats but you burn all the ones labeled for your chip type. 2 for 2732, 4 for 2716 and one if you have weebly 512.

Did it show new version number in match display at bootup?

#16 1 year ago

Yes it showed 22 in the match display

#17 1 year ago
    20220930_072539 (resized).jpg20220930_072539 (resized).jpg20220930_072545 (resized).jpg20220930_072545 (resized).jpg
    #18 1 year ago

What does adjustment 4 show? If it's all blank hit clear on the door or S33 on the mpu. It should then show 00.

#19 1 year ago

That fixed it! Adjustment 4 was blank until I hit the S33 button. That brought up 00's. Now it is cycling.

#20 1 year ago

I hate to say this, but something broke in the code. I can not start a game with code 22. I burned it twice on difference chips, and tried it.
    I installed the Weebly board and I can start a game. The Weebly board has the code 21 on it.
    And I also burned code 21 and installed it in the MPU200 that the code 22 was in. It also works.

#21 1 year ago

Wouldn't surprise me I have no way to test it. I'll get rid of v22 off the website and leave 21 as the latest version until I can play around some more.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Wouldn't surprise me I have no way to test it.

Not sure if it helps as confirmation but in MAME, V22 in attract mode with credits won't start a game. Swap in V21 ROMs and game can start.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Not sure if it helps as confirmation but in MAME, V22 in attract mode with credits won't start a game. Swap in V21 ROMs and game can start.

Yeah, the errant routine has a credit button flag at its start which I thought was just used in the original code to eject the lock saucer at bootup... apparently not.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-get-the-high-score-to-show-on-the-backboard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.