Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Snailman
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

The closest location to me just switched out their only game for one I'm terrible at. Not only that, but the replay value is impossible! I'm not a horrible pinball player. But I could DEFINITELY improve my skills. Especially if I want to get a game more than 30 seconds long. So, you get my point. I'm just looking for some pointers. Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Watch the PAPA videos, both the Bowen tutorials for long form rules breakdowns, but even more importantly the quick flipper technique videos. Then try to practice what you saw.

My 9 yr old has been night and day since we watch those. Executed a post pass the other day because he knew he couldn't backhand Green Goblin on SM.

#3 5 years ago

Thanks!

#4 5 years ago

Where are you located? Joining a league is a great way to get better. Even playing 2 player games and watching a better player will improve your game.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

Where are you located? Joining a league is a great way to get better. Even playing 2 player games and watching a better player will improve your game.

I have looked into leagues in my area. None of them start for several months. I join a league every time I get the chance, though.

#6 5 years ago

Definitely playing and competing with a slightly better player... especially one willing to teach you the ropes.

#7 5 years ago

Hopefully, you own a pinball machine. If not, buy one!

#8 5 years ago

Practice! Also do your homework. Watch/ emulate better players. Remember to breathe, lol. Take your time and make sure to have fun with it.

#9 5 years ago

The pinball machine tutorials as mentioned and playing them on your PC using Visual Pinball (vpforums.org) or Pinball Arcade

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

Even playing 2 player games and watching a better player will improve your game.

Amen! I remember the first time I played against someone who was REALLY good. I was blown away by how adept they were at controlling the ball and making the game their bitch!

#11 5 years ago

A great way is just like anything in life building connections with players and collectors in your area. The majority of pinball happens in peoples houses and oftentimes people will open their homes to tourneys or parties. Rather easy to get invited via a Facebook invite and even if you don't like Facebook, join anyways. Everybody knows that 1 person who hates FB and always learns about a party well after the fact or has to be texted about an event.

#12 5 years ago

Practice, practice, and practice.

The thing that really helped me in the last year or so is to own at least one fast playing machine to get your reaction times down. Pins like Stern's SW, IM, TRON.....

#13 5 years ago

When I play for fun I try and focus on one skill until I get that down and then move onto another. I would recommend starting with a dead bounce.

#14 5 years ago

Buy a couple of cheap EMs for your garage and play a bunch. That will make you better

#15 5 years ago

For a small $50 per hour fee (deli meat sandwich and a Shasta included) you can learn from the ninja master of pinball. No minors or unaccompanied woman though. You should check this thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-lessons-hurry-slots-are-filling-up-fast

#16 5 years ago

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

#17 5 years ago

PLay more, and play with people who are better than you and actually watch them play instead of playing with your phone when it's their turn.

PLenty of videos on youtube explaining and detailing specific skills which will improve your game.

#18 5 years ago

Pinball is a skill game that requires focus, dexterity & familiarity w/ the playfield. As your are playing be sure to keep an eye on the ball & have an idea where you want to shot & place the ball on your next shot. Having a general understanding of the rule-set is absolutely necessary to progress further into the game objectives. Knowing the rules is essential, as you wouldn't play a game of Monopoly or Blackjack without knowing what to do.

Focus the majority of the time on that steel ball! A pinball machine can be very distracting w/ the lightshow, DMD & music/sounds. Though those shades of atmosphere add to the pinball experience, it is essential to watch that ball like a hawk.

Control that ball! When approaching a machine observe the layout & have an idea how all those obstacles (bumpers, ramps, orbits, etc.) will affect a pinballs trajectory & speed rate. Let the ball come to you & don't flail or double flip. A dead bounce & ball cradle will allow you to effectively line up the next shot.

Hit your shots & aim accordingly! When playing Houdini, I know that if I need to hit the ramp then the ball needs to be launched on the left flipper approximately half way down. On the flip side, I am able to backhand the inner loop w/ a quick jab on the right flipper. Having an idea when to flip w/ close precision will help advance you towards sharpshooter status.

Focus, control & aim are absolutely the keys to becoming a better player. But not withstanding, relax, enjoy & most importantly ~ have fun. When approaching a machine just take in the complete atmosphere & nuances that a title provides. Let the gameplay take hold, as the therapeutic ambience will temporarily take you away to the WOZ. Just enjoy the experience, as pinball is absolutely escapism at it's finest!

#19 5 years ago

Yeah, owning a machine is key. No worrying about ball times or objectives or dollars going in. You can take as long as you want and just practice flipper passing and such. Enjoy the heck out of your machine and master it.

#20 5 years ago
    download (resized).jpegdownload (resized).jpeg
    #21 5 years ago

Learn rules and understanding the safer shots vs riskier/rewarding shots and when to go for either. Also anticipating nudges before the ball is near the outlane.

#22 5 years ago

What game used to be there and what game is there now ? Different styles of games require different play styles many times.

Lots of great advice above. on fast machines try to slow the ball down with dead bounces and cradling, breathing and thinking about your shot. when making your shots successfully that is what your working on.

If you miss your shot then your working on your recovery skills

If the ball is heading toward an out-lane work on your nudging skills. you can transfer energy to the ball better if you nudge at the same time the ball is in contact with something solid

If you are getting frustrated trying to make a shot , cradle, breath shoot something you can hit to rebuild your confidence

When you DO hit your shots, celebrate them (some people shout , some dance, others clap their hands together, even other do them all )

Keep flipping !!!

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Watch the PAPA videos, both the Bowen tutorials for long form rules breakdowns, but even more importantly the quick flipper technique videos. Then try to practice what you saw.
    My 9 yr old has been night and day since we watch those. Executed a post pass the other day because he knew he couldn't backhand Green Goblin on SM.

Now that's what I call the definition of good parenting - teaching a 9 year old the nuances of flipper control. Well-done!

#24 5 years ago

3 things I always say:

1: Control. Learn to catch and control the ball. Slow the game down. The sooner you can get the ball cradled on the flipper, the longer your game will be. Don’t just swing like it’s baseball, catch and throw like its lacross.

2: Aiming. The shots are on the flippers. Keep your eyes down and pay attention to where the ball leaves the flipper. Each game has different shots but if your practicing a certain machine, really pay attention to where the ball is on the flipper when shooting.

3: Rules. You tube has tutorials for a ton of games. There is a ton of good info out there that shows you what to go for so you can shoot more efficiently and get big points faster.

I think those are the 3 components to playing well. The last, which comes with practice, is consistency. Being able to constantly perform and complete goals every time you step up to a game. Definitely the one I’m missing!

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Hopefully you own a pinball machine. If not, then buy one!

Quoted from AUKraut:

Practice, practice, and practice.

Quoted from Carrman:

1: Control: Learn to catch and control the ball.Don’t just swing like it’s baseball, catch and throw like its lacrosse.
    2: Aiming: The shots are on the flippers. Keep your eyes down and pay attention to where the ball leaves the flipper.

All the above also applied when I improved my foosball skills. Bought a Tournament Soccer table so I could practice catching the ball and executing various shots. Then I practiced a lot until I got pretty good at it. My buddy and I got good enough to win some local tournaments. The first alignment of my game room included that foosball table directly under a 2x4 foot four bulb fluorescent light fixture with a diffusing lens.

Foosball table is now resting on end in the back of my basement and pinball machines have taken its place in the game room.

1 week later
    #26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Carrman:

3 things I always say:

1: Control. Learn to catch and control the ball. Slow the game down. The sooner you can get the ball cradled on the flipper, the longer your game will be. Don’t just swing like it’s baseball, catch and throw like its lacross.

2: Aiming. The shots are on the flippers. Keep your eyes down and pay attention to where the ball leaves the flipper. Each game has different shots but if your practicing a certain machine, really pay attention to where the ball is on the flipper when shooting.

3: Rules. You tube has tutorials for a ton of games. There is a ton of good info out there that shows you what to go for so you can shoot more efficiently and get big points faster.

Good list.

The 4th, in my opinion, is Nudging. I wish I had learned that nudging is a skillful and necessary part of the game when I first started playing pinball as a kid, instead of just 8 years ago. This skill is one that is best learned "in person" watching another person play/nudge, and then taking one nudge technique you just witnessed and trying it over and over again on your own until you start to get the hang of it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-get-better-at-pinball?hl=indusguys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.