(Topic ID: 315624)

How do I Convince My Boss to Get a Pinball Machine?

By PinlordMarc

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 162 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    i-dont-believe-you-whatever.gif
    Xyss.gif
    BFD564D6-1473-4162-8743-8AFEDC3144B9 (resized).jpeg
    3ae086a78e80d061faedc0a2f7281854 (resized).jpg
    Colbert Screen (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20220521-114337_Firefox.jpg
    GOB-Bluth-and-Alliance-of-Magicians (resized).jpg
    90056BDC-3DD7-42AD-B1B0-CCEFACE79426 (resized).jpeg
    2506717C-A6C7-4826-B9D1-B05AA553D338.gif
    There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 1 year ago

For the last year I've worked in a comic & collectibles store which is a pretty great gig, but do you know what would make it better? That's right: a pinball machine! The only problem is that despite the fact that I've made compelling arguments and that the machine would be a huge draw, I can't get my boss to agree.

We host game nights already and I just know that a machine would be a hit. He is all right as far as bosses go, but he's showing himself to be pretty stuck in his ways. How can I convince him?

So far I've tried explaining the business reasons to him:

- Attract new customers and revenue to the store
    - Make more money from current customers
    - Improve employee morale.
    - Host local & regional tournaments

None of those worked so I tried to show him that our current customers want a machine too. I printed a petition and posted it beside the register and encouraged customers to sign if they wanted a pinball machine. Many did. Despite the fact that our loyal customers wanted pinball in the store, he told me he needed some more time to think about it.

I'm getting a little impatient because despite the fact that he's "considering it" he's invested more and more money into board & card games that could have been put towards a machine. I even talked to one of my coworker about unionizing so that we have more of a voice in how the store is run, but that is obviously a much longer term plan.

Does anyone have any rock solid ideas or things that they have done to get games added to their workplaces? Also what games do you think would be best for a store to bring in the most foot traffic? So far I've proposed: The Avengers, Mandalorian, Stranger Things, but I'm open to suggestions.

#2 1 year ago

Ok.. so if you want to convince your boss to do something, unionizing his comic book shop is NOT the play. I have no idea what the ROI is but I assume it takes longer considering the rising costs of pinball games.

#3 1 year ago

Simple solution: Just have the boss call someone that routes pins and tell him to drop one off. Bonus is you can switch them out every so often, and you don't have to fix it.

No offense to you or unions, but I would not have went down the union path for a comic book store.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

For the last year I've worked in a comic & collectibles store which is a pretty great gig, but do you know what would make it better? That's right: a pinball machine! The only problem is that despite the fact that I've made compelling arguments and that the machine would be a huge draw, I can't get my boss to agree.
    We host game nights already and I just know that a machine would be a hit. He is all right as far as bosses go, but he's showing himself to be pretty stuck in his ways. How can I convince him?
    None of those worked so I tried to show him that our current customers want a machine too. I printed a petition and posted it beside the register and encouraged customers to sign if they wanted a pinball machine. Many did. Despite the fact that our loyal customers wanted pinball in the store, he told me he needed some more time to think about it.
    I'm getting a little impatient because despite the fact that he's "considering it" he's invested more and more money into board & card games that could have been put towards a machine. I even talked to one of my coworker about unionizing so that we have more of a voice in how the store is run, but that is obviously a much longer term plan.
    Does anyone have any rock solid ideas or things that they have done to get games added to their workplaces? Also what games do you think would be best for a store to bring in the most foot traffic? So far I've proposed: The Avengers, Mandalorian, Stranger Things, but I'm open to suggestions.

There is much more to operating a machine on location than buying a pin and plugging it in. If it were as simple as that then there would be machines everywhere.

#5 1 year ago

One machine isn't going to draw a lot of new customers in. I am all for unions, but unionizing over a pinball machine is just bizarre.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

I'm getting a little impatient because despite the fact that he's "considering it" he's invested more and more money into board & card games that could have been put towards a machine.

His store. He's putting his money where he knows it will make money for him.

A pinball in there is unknown. No idea if zoning ordinances allow it, what is required in licenses. And if it can earn it's keep. With new pin prices, it isn't likely to make enough to be worth trying.

Best try and have an operator put one in, and then see if it was worthwhile.

LTG : )

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

His store. He's putting his money where he knows it will make money for him.
    A pinball in there is unknown. No idea if zoning ordinances allow it, what is required in licenses. And if it can earn it's keep. With new pin prices, it isn't likely to make enough to be worth trying.

Heed Lloyd's advice, Grasshopper.

The man has owned a successful arcade for almost 50 years. Weathered many storms and still survived.

The man is a pinball operating legend.

#8 1 year ago

Dude let the guy run his store the way he sees fit if my vote. You presented the argument beyond that I would say if not your place to decide as his employee

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

So the one issue with this is that it would likely affect the revenue split that I had proposed between my boss and me since I would be the one in charge of the machine... If an operator put a game in, I'm guessing he would want at least half of the revenue which means my boss and me would get 25% each and I don't think he'd go for that.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

So the one issue with this is that it would likely affect the revenue split that I had proposed between my boss and me since I would be the one in charge of the machine...

You proposing putting something in his business and you make money off of it ? That is an issue too. Especially if anything that generates income in his store is his.

Quoted from PinlordMarc:

If an operator put a game in, I'm guessing he would want at least half of the revenue which means my boss and me would get 25% each and I don't think he'd go for that.

Hopefully a split, and not a guarantee. Like X amount a day or you make up the difference.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

So the one issue with this is that it would affect the revenue split that I had proposed between my boss and me since I would be the one in charge of the machine... If an operator put the machine in, I'm guessing he would want at least half of the revenue which means my boss and me would be 25% each and I don't think he'd go for that.

Just trying to understand the scenario you have in mind a little clearer; You don't want to use an operator so who is going to supply the pinball machine? Are you expecting your boss to buy the machine or are you buying it? If your boss is the one buying the machine I don't understand how you would be entitled to 50%. It's his investment and his location. He would have all the risk in this situation. Doesn't make a lot of business sense for him in this situation to give half the proceeds to you. On the other hand if you bought the machine and placed it in his store, it may open him up to the idea of adding more machines if your machines proves to be profitable.

#12 1 year ago

Dude, buy the game yourself and put it in the store. Split the take 50/50 with your boss.
    Now you're a (small) route operator!

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

So the one issue with this is that it would likely affect the revenue split that I had proposed between my boss and me since I would be the one in charge of the machine... If an operator put a game in, I'm guessing he would want at least half of the revenue which means my boss and me would get 25% each and I don't think he'd go for that.

Why would you even get anything if an operator put a pin in? That would be between the router and the owner (unless your boss is very generous).

Sorry, don't mean to sound negative.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

I bet you quitting would improve the first three.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You proposing putting something in his business and you make money off of it ? That is an issue too. Especially if anything that generates income in his store is his.

Well, I would be the one managing the game so that he didn't have to spend his time on it. As contemplated, I would select the machine, make sure that it remains in good condition, run the tournaments etc...

#16 1 year ago

yea this seems weird all over. Do you get a percentage of income brought into the store or something? Seems this is more about you making more money than your store. If so, maybe tell your boss you can go half/half on the cost of the machine with him.

Id say 1 machine wouldnt be as big of a draw as you think. Youd probably need more like 3. Start with an operator.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Well, I would be the one managing the game so that he didn't have to spend his time on it. As contemplated, I would select the machine, make sure that it remains in good condition, run the tournaments etc...

you arent going to be running tournaments on 1 game. That sounds like the worst tournament ive ever heard of. Are there any locations in your area with multiple pins? Why would folks go to the comic book store with 1 when others have plenty?

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

Are you expecting your boss to buy the machine or are you buying it?

My boss would make the initial investment and I would manage it.

#19 1 year ago

You could open your own store. But what would you do if your 2 employees tried to unionize and steal your store from you………The irony.

But seriously. Open your own store and put in a pinball machine. Problem solved.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Like if he owned a store and you worked there?
    Oh, wait..............

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

As contemplated, I would select the machine,

You ever route pins before ? If not and a new location, you have no idea what the players will like or not. You have money to buy more and rotate to a game people will put money into. You can't be passionate about this. Not buy what you like. You'll need to figure out what earns.

Quoted from PinlordMarc:

What does he need you for ?

I don't mean to sound cold or cruel. Just trying to get you to where this happens and is successful.

#22 1 year ago

I’ve been mulling over and over what to type here but I’ll follow the “if what you want to say isn’t nice, don’t say it at all” and say nothing lol

#23 1 year ago

Sounds like you want your boss to buy you a pin……There is NOTHING to manage with a new pin for the most part. Save your money and buy a pin. Then route the pin in the store if your boss will let you. The truth is a single pin is not gonna bring in a lot of “extra” revenue for your boss and is not enough for a tournament…bars/entertainment establishments with multiple pins work well for tournaments as they usually have food/drink and space for 20-30+ people.

#24 1 year ago

Forgot this was some moron's troll account. Nothing to see here fellas, just some bored dork.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Hai guys!!! Look at me manage this pinball while my boss pays me to work.

2506717C-A6C7-4826-B9D1-B05AA553D338.gif2506717C-A6C7-4826-B9D1-B05AA553D338.gif
    #26 1 year ago

Does the store have enough unused floor space for a pinball machine and players ?

#27 1 year ago

I think you have a few options in this situation:

1. Buy the machine yourself and ask your boss for permission to place in the store. This is the ONLY situation I feel that you are entitled to any profit the machine generates.
    2. Seek out other business in your area that have pins (if there are any) and kindly ask if they will give you a breakdown of how they manage their pins; ie..private ownership or operator, pay split, profits, ect. Then contact an area operator for a breakdown of split %, city gaming fees, available games they have to offer, ect . Present all this information to your boss so he can make an informed decision so he can weigh his risks/rewards.
    3. Keep your mouth shut and respect your boss' final decision.

#28 1 year ago

Put one of your own games in there and see how it does. Give your boss the money for space and electricity. Plus your getting paid to be there already so just let him keep all the proceeds. If he likes it then go from there as far as putting in more or different games. Buying a new game is probably out of his budget at this point I'm guessing. In other words, start small and give it time to catch on from all angles.

John

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

you arent going to be running tournaments on 1 game. That sounds like the worst tournament ive ever heard of. Are there any locations in your area with multiple pins? Why would folks go to the comic book store with 1 when others have plenty?

We have card game tournaments several nights a week. People could play in both so that there wouldnt be a lot of downtime. Also 4 people on a machine at once on the right machine could move pretty quickly. I take your point, though... Ideally the first machine would prove the concept so that we could expand to more.

Quoted from LTG:

Does the store have enough unused floor space for a pinball machine and players ?

It does. There is ample space for a few machines in the main room and a large gameroom that we use for tournaments as well.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You ever route pins before ? If not and a new location, you have no idea what the players will like or not. You have money to buy more and rotate to a game people will put money into. You can't be passionate about this. Not buy what you like. You'll need to figure out what earns.

This is a really good point and I will take it to heart.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Also 4 people on a machine at once on the right machine could move pretty quickly.

If it's set up right for tournaments. No ball save, no extra balls, etc. etc.

I've run tournaments. You'd be surprised how long they can run.

#32 1 year ago

I never saw anyone playing the pin at the comic book store on Big Bang Theory. Have you checked local ordinances? May not even be legal to have a machine in there.

#33 1 year ago

How about you open your own store so you’re your own boss?

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

I even talked to one of my coworker about unionizing so that we have more of a voice in how the store is run, but that is obviously a much longer term plan.

A small business owners worst nightmare, getting overthrown by his workers.

I’m guessing his dream wasn’t to open a shop only to be told how to run it by the people he hired.

#35 1 year ago

This is one of the oddest posts I've seen in a while, congrats I guess.

#36 1 year ago

Honestly, it sounds like you've presented your case, and then some. If he's not interested, he's not interested. It's his place, he can do what he wants.

Personally, I think you should let the matter rest for now before you risk capsizing the boat.

Yes, were all enthusiasts, and we all want to see more pins on location, but you can't twist someone's arm about it if they're just not biting.

Once some time has passed, maybe instead of trying to convince him to install something new in his shop, invite him instead to other places or events that might have pinball.

Then maybe it could turn out to be his idea to bring in a game, rather than you pestering him about it.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

This is one of the oddest posts I've seen in a while, congrats I guess.

All of his threads are crazy shit like this.

Obviously a work !

#38 1 year ago

I love pinball and own an family entertainment center. You know what I don't have in it at the moment? A pinball. Expensive. High maintenance. Low earning.

Also, it's a niche kinda store. My guess is the guy isn't making bank to drop 7k on a game because he likes it.

If you feel that string about it, buy or finance one yourself, give your boss a cut.

OPM is the easiest thing to spend in the world. Other people's money.

#39 1 year ago

You work in a comic shop in DC? Great, I work in DC too. I’ll swing by at lunch to convince your boss. What’s the name of the comic shop?

#40 1 year ago

You need some dirt on your boss so you can blackmail him into buying a pinball machine. Try breaking into his email to find something you can use. Good luck, your boss seems like an asshole.

#41 1 year ago

Punchy the Clown should do the trick.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

A small business owners worst nightmare, getting overthrown by his workers.
    I’m guessing his dream wasn’t to open a shop only to be told how to run it by the people he hired.

I'm not trying to "overthrow my boss" just to improve things around the store in a way that will help him too. He likes comics and games and this is a new way to earn money from the things he likes and attract new customers for HIS store.

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Once some time has passed, maybe instead of trying to convince him to install something new in his shop, invite him instead to other places or events that might have pinball.

Yeah you might be right. A softer approach might be called for at this point.

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

I printed a petition and posted it beside the register and encouraged customers to sign if they wanted a pinball machine. Many did. Despite the fact that our loyal customers wanted pinball in the store, he told me he needed some more time to think about it.

I already told the guys at work. We’d love to swing by and sign the petition.

What store? Fantom? Alliance? Big Planet?

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

You need some dirt on your boss so you can blackmail him into buying a pinball machine. Try breaking into his email to find something you can use. Good luck, your boss seems like an asshole.

There's probably dirt there, but that seems pretty low down at this point!

He's not an asshole, just stuck in his ways and a bit of a control freak.

#46 1 year ago

I'll be in the area this weekend maybe I could convince him. What's the address and name.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Let me say this as nicely as possible, you’re a funny dude.

#48 1 year ago

How long before o.p. gets himself fired over this?

#49 1 year ago

As an avid card and board gamer I would absolutely HATE listening to a pinball machine being played. It’s a dumb idea. Your boss is right. Plus you want him to take all of the risk while you “manage” it. Have you ever operated, maintained or repaired games? I doubt it.

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

He's not an asshole, just stuck in his ways and a bit of a control freak.

You are correct, he does seem to want control of his business. He seems like a very odd business owner.

There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-convince-my-boss-to-get-a-pinball-machine?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.