(Topic ID: 315624)

How do I Convince My Boss to Get a Pinball Machine?

By PinlordMarc

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 162 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    i-dont-believe-you-whatever.gif
    Xyss.gif
    BFD564D6-1473-4162-8743-8AFEDC3144B9 (resized).jpeg
    3ae086a78e80d061faedc0a2f7281854 (resized).jpg
    Colbert Screen (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20220521-114337_Firefox.jpg
    GOB-Bluth-and-Alliance-of-Magicians (resized).jpg
    90056BDC-3DD7-42AD-B1B0-CCEFACE79426 (resized).jpeg
    2506717C-A6C7-4826-B9D1-B05AA553D338.gif
    There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 1 year ago

I bet you will.

#102 1 year ago

I cannot wait!

#103 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Very quick update here -- I'm working at the store this evening while we're hosting a MTG tournament. Just got off the phone with a good friend of mine who owns a machine or two and convinced him to drop by the tourney tonight and talk to my boss about having a game. Hopefully this will push him to finally make the right move.
    I'll update later tonight when I can.

#104 1 year ago

If any of this were true, nobody reading this would give a shit if you get a machine or not because you refuse to reveal the location so nobody here would ever be able to play it.

#105 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Very quick update here -- I'm working at the store this evening while we're hosting a MTG tournament. Just got off the phone with a good friend of mine who owns a machine or two and convinced him to drop by the tourney tonight and talk to my boss about having a game. Hopefully this will push him to finally make the right move.

MTG? People still play that?

#106 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

There's probably dirt there, but that seems pretty low down at this point!
    He's not an asshole, just stuck in his ways and a bit of a control freak.

I have to agree with this. Don't fuck with someone's livelihood. A guy I worked with is a total asshole and he got fired for something stupid after 26 years of service. Lost his pension and everything. I definitely feel bad for him even if he is an asshole. People can do desperate things is they are pushed hard enough.

#107 1 year ago

Frankly I’m surprised you still have a job after trying to coerce the owners decision by involving his customers in a petition he didn’t solicit so that you could force him to buy a pin that you think you are owed a cut of.

I’m dumbfounded by the entitlement

#108 1 year ago

You could grovel.

#109 1 year ago

I still think the most insane thought here is that Pinballmarc from DC thinks that a union has anything to do with the business side of a business. It has to do with labor protection, from abuse by business owners of federal or state labor laws. I’ve never seen pinball listed as a right, nor have I ever heard of a Union lawyer taking up a case where an employee wants to be an owner of the company or steal from the owner. Do unions now authorize stealing from bosses or do they still make workers work for wages? I work in a production setting, should I get 50% of everything I make that was my idea? I’d be a millionaire….but I guess when I get to have my own business, I can do that…oh they also got sued and had ten million in liabilities…I won’t share in that.

Hey Marc, you gonna share in all the liabilities, insurance, upkeep known as sunk costs? You gonna share the cost of the conditioning of the space, electric, square foot rental cost? What did you business plan proposal look like? When was the break even date? Did you do anything other than open your mouth. You sound similar to a guy at work that “can do it better” not realizing it took me more time than he has been alive to understand my craft. The wokeforce is a downfall to American production. Good luck Marc as I’m sure if your boss saw this, you’d be fired, and you’re not going to survive by only using the teet. Time for some solid food, not enough formula and the fittest shall survive.

#110 1 year ago
    Quoted from Monk:

Let me say this as nicely as possible, you’re a funny dude.

3ae086a78e80d061faedc0a2f7281854 (resized).jpg3ae086a78e80d061faedc0a2f7281854 (resized).jpg
    #111 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Can you have your good friend drop by my place afterwards and convince my girlfriend to let me do it in the butt? Hopefully that will push her to finally make the right move.

#112 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

MTG? People still play that?

More people play it now than at any time before.

#113 1 year ago

Yes!!

#114 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

This is an amazing troll. Nice job.

Yeah I took the bait on one of his threads a few months ago. I mean unless Larry David has joined Pinside, we’re getting played.

#115 1 year ago

The MTG tourney must have been a wild time. OP didn't even make it back onto provide an update.

Here's a serious idea though. Maybe you could collect some money at one of MTG/gaming tournament's for the purposes of donating it to project pinball. If you happen to win, the store gets a free machine. Or you could just throw $50 down and then donate the machine to the store. Double charity. Win win!

#116 1 year ago

I don’t think the OP is a troll, I think they’re just young and new to the workforce. This next generation has all sorts of crazy ideas that they think are totally normal. You almost gotta appreciate the hustle. Like, seriously; have your boss split earnings with you because you’ll be looking after the game. Hahahaha. You’re already paid as an hourly employee, but I like that your trying to find creative ways to up your income. But you’re going at it all wrong.

Finance a game yourself, split the earnings with your boss 60/40 and if it doesn’t work out sell the game for most of what you’ve paid for it. But this means that you fix the game and pay for parts etc.

#118 1 year ago

You could always threaten to quit if he doesn't provide a machine. Sunday afternoon drunk posting.

#119 1 year ago

I hope Marc is committed enough to continue this tale across several weeks. And I look forward to difficult to localize photos once we get to the pin trial run.

#120 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

I hope Marc is committed enough to continue this tale across several weeks. And I look forward to difficult to localize photos once we get to the pin trial run.

I have a 10 year old into comics (asking for jobs to earn money to buy dollar comics) and am 30 minutes outside of the city. When we know the location let me know and I'll make a trip in to see the thing if it's not in too crappy of a part of D.C.

#121 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Wait, just realized the OP is the “taking out the bar trash” guy! The guy who was telling the bartender how to run the bar or risk a bad yelp review from him? And now telling his boss how to run his business and put in a pinball or risk an employee uprising started by him.

He also wants to make pinball mainstream too.

#122 1 year ago

I won't be updating the thread anymore with my experience. Why would I? Every other message was that no one cares.

If people want to discuss their workplace machines in the thread that's fine with me.

#123 1 year ago
    BFD564D6-1473-4162-8743-8AFEDC3144B9 (resized).jpegBFD564D6-1473-4162-8743-8AFEDC3144B9 (resized).jpeg
    #125 1 year ago

Guys-the OP is 99.7 % K-word. Stop playing into this.

#126 1 year ago

Don't know if this has been suggested or not, as I'm not reading through all these posts. But I think the perfect idea would be for you to bring in one of your machines, set it up and see how much it earns and give him 25% of what it earns.

If you don't have a machine, buy one (AIQ premium would be a great game in there) and tell your boss that you will set it up. After it earns what you paid for it, you'll give him 50% of whatever it earns. 50% is the typical split for putting a machine on location. Now, you have a machine for free and can earn money off it after it's paid off and maybe add more machines in there starting a little side business for yourself.

GL

#127 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

I won't be updating the thread anymore with my experience.

Replace “the thread” with “Pinside”.

#128 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

So the one issue with this is that it would likely affect the revenue split that I had proposed between my boss and me since I would be the one in charge of the machine... If an operator put a game in, I'm guessing he would want at least half of the revenue which means my boss and me would get 25% each and I don't think he'd go for that.

The original post and this makes me think of the Haggis thread where Punkin and another pinsider define self-entitlement. Holy crap, this guy has no clue how the world works. And unionize a comic shop, boohahaaaaa!

#129 1 year ago

I just read the bar trash thread and all I can say OMG. I also didn't realize OP is the make pinball mainstream guy. This thread now makes perfect sense.

#130 1 year ago

Topic is marked solved, so did OP get a game?

#131 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

"I even talked to one of my coworker about unionizing so that we have more of a voice in how the store is run....."

Do you have any idea how clueless you sound?

#132 1 year ago

Are we sure OP is old enough to be working or entering bars?

#133 1 year ago

We were all young and stupid once. However, most of us were blessed with not being a product of the public schools in D.C..

https://www.militaryspouse.com/military-life/pcs/washington-dc-schools-worst-in-america/

#134 1 year ago

I just spoke with OP and he was actually able to convince his boss to get the machine. The boss wanted to support Marc's entrepreneurship so he actually bought the game outright and splitting coin drop with PinlordMarc since he'll be managing the machine.

Marc asked me not to share the name of the shop since he was worried about himself or his boss getting harassed there.

Happy ending, I guess (except for all the nay-sayers and trash talkers in the thread).

#135 1 year ago

My boss actually suggested to put one in the our restaurant. I convinced him not to do it. I appreciated the gesture towards me but i told him that i would never be back on time in my workplace. Either the game would not have ended when my break ends or i would not have eaten at all in that time. He quickly saw my point when i was playing a game of Totan on a teambuilding event where it was in exploitation.

#136 1 year ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

I just spoke with OP and he was actually able to convince his boss to get the machine. The boss wanted to support Marc's entrepreneurship so he actually bought the game outright and splitting coin drop with PinlordMarc since he'll be managing the machine.
    Marc asked me not to share the name of the shop since he was worried about himself or his boss getting harassed there.
    Happy ending, I guess (except for all the nay-sayers and trash talkers in the thread).

i-dont-believe-you-whatever.gifi-dont-believe-you-whatever.gif

#137 1 year ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

What machine?

#138 1 year ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

Good idea.

I'm sure his boss would be thrilled at the idea of keeping away potential customers.

#139 1 year ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

This sounds like a “I have a girlfriend but she lives in Canada” story.

#140 1 year ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

This sounds like a “I have a girlfriend but she lives in Canada” story.

This one time...at band camp..........

#141 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

What machine?

I heard this from a reliable source.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #142 1 year ago

They both live in PA. Why would you not believe? You guys really think there is a conspiracy afoot to convince you randos on the internet that a pinball machine was actually bought when it wasn’t?

#143 1 year ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

Yeah, i dont blame him. It's one thing to act like an asshole and talk about it on the interweb, but you sure as hell don't wanna be throwing an address out there too. He's probably had his ass beat enough times in his life.

Wonder if he does the Yelp reviews for his employer.........maybe he threatened him like he did the barmaid in the other thread. For some reason I don't picture this guy threatening another male though.

#144 1 year ago

The OP will manage the machine? Lol. I wonder if he will allow drinks on the glass or kicks to its legs.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poorly-run-tournament-experiences

Every one of this guy’s threads is a Best of Pinside contender.

#145 1 year ago

Looks like the OP moved to Ghana. Lol

#146 1 year ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

This only just a bit starts to make sense if the shop owner is the OP's dad.

#147 1 year ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Looks like the OP moved to Ghana. Lol

If he was just updating his location to be accurate it may be pretty easy to identify the comic book store where he works.

#148 1 year ago

If he was just updating his location to be accurate it may be pretty easy to identify the comic book store where he works.

It’s the one that doesn’t have a pinball machine

2 months later
    #149 1 year ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

Strange, in his latest thread he said he has not gotten a machine yet. Are you part of the trolling or did you actually believe this guy?

#150 1 year ago

My guess trolling

There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-convince-my-boss-to-get-a-pinball-machine/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.