(Topic ID: 315624)

How do I Convince My Boss to Get a Pinball Machine?

By PinlordMarc

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 162 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    i-dont-believe-you-whatever.gif
    Xyss.gif
    BFD564D6-1473-4162-8743-8AFEDC3144B9 (resized).jpeg
    3ae086a78e80d061faedc0a2f7281854 (resized).jpg
    Colbert Screen (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20220521-114337_Firefox.jpg
    GOB-Bluth-and-Alliance-of-Magicians (resized).jpg
    90056BDC-3DD7-42AD-B1B0-CCEFACE79426 (resized).jpeg
    2506717C-A6C7-4826-B9D1-B05AA553D338.gif
    There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

just stuck in his ways and a bit of a control freak.

How many years has he been in this business ? Is he successful ?

He may not want to take risks, or maybe can't afford risks, to his livelihood.

People always have suggestions for me. I do listen, contrary to popular belief. But if I tried every idea that came along, I wouldn't have made it 49+ years.

LTG : )

#52 1 year ago

Do you plan on "managing " the game on your own time, or will your boss have to pay you while you clean the machine?

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

People always have suggestions for me. I do listen, contrary to popular belief. But if I tried every idea that came along, I wouldn't have made it 49+ years.

That reminded me of a few years ago on the Minnesota Pin Cities Facebook page. A person posted that I should get the new Stern pin ( I don't recall which one )
    he guaranteed me it would pay for itself in a year.

I posted an offer. He buy it, he put it in. You can't erase audits on new Stern pins. At the end of the year, if it took in what it cost or more, I'd give him the money and the game. If it didn't take in what it cost in that time frame, then I keep the money and the game.

He disappeared from that post. So much for his guarantee, which is always easy using somebody else's money.

LTG : )

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Have you ever operated, maintained or repaired games? I doubt it.

At this level of troll, I’m wondering if OP has even played pinball before.

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

At this level of troll, I’m wondering if OP has even played pinball before.

No kidding, look at his other posts.

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

A small business owners worst nightmare, getting overthrown by his workers.
    I’m guessing his dream wasn’t to open a shop only to be told how to run it by the people he hired.

PREACH brother

#57 1 year ago

Forming a union because the boss doesn't want to purchase a Thunderbirds. That should be illegal!

#58 1 year ago

Four words for you,if I was your boss. "Get off the property!"

#59 1 year ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

Four words for you,if I was your boss. "Get off the property!"

I didn't know that the guys who collect the soda cans from the trash even had employees. I learned something new today.

#60 1 year ago

We put a MAME cabinet in where I worked - the holy grail of an overworked IT crew. When we were small, it was great - especially since it was loaded with all the games we wanted. But as the company grew, it became a huge burden - especially when we hired real HR people who saw some the games included in the lineup (which were, yes, very questionable). When that was coupled with a few of the more aggressive players who continued to toast joy sticks or other controller parts, it eventually it turned into a burden with IT spending time fixing it, monitoring the game line up, and spending a huge amount to keep it working.

It's sadly been confined to the dustbin of history and only turned on during special occasions.

I really like when places do have a one-off, but the bottom line, or so I learned, is it can detract from the running of the business (unless you're a gaming company then all bets are off!).

We do have a local comic shop with pins and I have no idea their experience - good or bad, and while they seem very succesful, the decision comes down to money. And that always comes from the top.

#61 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

I didn't know that the guys who collect the soda cans from the trash even had employees. I learned something new today.

A guy collecting soda cans from a trash can,probably makes more than some jackass working at a comic book shop.

#62 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

What?

#63 1 year ago

I have a comic store/ record store with pinballs. I can tell you that its not a money making gig. People will play them. The regulars will pay it for 2 weeks then never again. After 6 months noone will.

1 model that works. Buy a comic get a free game. Also if you plan to have a gathering space where people can hang out and buy drinks and waste time. You have a chance.

My suggestion is buy the pin yourself and split with owner. Like many have said. Your boss isnt wrong to be leary. Routing a pin requires some work.

Good news is pinball is actually low risk. The resale will save you in the end. Its worth a shot.

#64 1 year ago

I'm just here to see the OP get ejected from his own thread again.

That should be a pinside achievement.

#65 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

I did get a kick out of you starting a Union for “The United Brotherhood of Comic Book Employees”. I can just picture your first day on the picket line.
    90056BDC-3DD7-42AD-B1B0-CCEFACE79426 (resized).jpeg90056BDC-3DD7-42AD-B1B0-CCEFACE79426 (resized).jpeg

#66 1 year ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I did get a kick out of you starting a Union for “The Brotherhood of Comic Book Employees”. I can just picture your first day on the picket line. [quoted image]

oh yeah, similar vibes

GOB-Bluth-and-Alliance-of-Magicians (resized).jpgGOB-Bluth-and-Alliance-of-Magicians (resized).jpg
    #67 1 year ago

Wait, just realized the OP is the “taking out the bar trash” guy! The guy who was telling the bartender how to run the bar or risk a bad yelp review from him? And now telling his boss how to run his business and put in a pinball or risk an employee uprising started by him.
    He must be one intimidating dude!

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Wait, just realized the OP is the “taking out the bar trash” guy! The guy who was telling the bartender how to run the bar or risk a bad yelp review from him? And now telling his boss how to run his business and put in a pinball or risk an employee uprising started by him.
    He must be one intimidating dude!

OP is the Simpsons comic book guy incarnate.

#69 1 year ago
    Quoted from Monk:

You are correct, he does seem to want control of his business. He seems like a very odd business owner.

Yeah isn't that the truth. In this day and age most business owners let the workers run the business. I see it everyday I'm sad to say. This owner sounds like he knows what he's doing.

John

#70 1 year ago

We have a comic book store out here with a bunch of pins and arcade games in it called Jesse James Comics.
    https://www.jessejamescomics.com

Here’s the location on the pin map.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/10337-ready-player-1-games-glendale-az

They do different events there ranging from tournament to birthday parties or whatever.

It’s basically a comic store where a local collector put a bunch of his stuff in in.
    Pretty cool place.

#71 1 year ago

This guy's posts have got me laughing, especially his first topic about the tournament. Well done OP

#72 1 year ago

This thread is a interesting but more disheartening when I think more about it. The disconnect from the OP with how the world works with his "proposition" that he would manage the game by taking money out of the coinbox and get 50% of the profits with no investment. To be honest I would route games if I could just do that and get half the split. Oh and the stress of running those 1 game tournaments would be tough especially with the 3 extra folding chairs needed. It would be a great experience for him to purchase the pin and see first hand how this goes and what money is. Ok enough ranting.....

#73 1 year ago

I would never, ever, ever, put a pinball machine on coin drop in a comic book shop. If I ran a comic book shop, someone put in an Avengers LE with a topper and headphone set, let me keep 100% of the coin drop, I would not want it in my store. I LOVE Pinball. But the whole business model behind a comic book store is people coming in for one thing, loitering, and buying stuff on impulse they didn’t know they wanted or just happened to be in stock. The playing board games in the store is largely feeds store business as it is usually mostly geared toward tabletop mini gaming or card games, with booster packs and new models conveniently available (for a fee) inside the store. You know what people who are playing pinball are not doing? Getting beaten by other people in board/card games where you can buy better cards (at the store) to compete/get better. The pin would take up valuable floor space, and the noise (even with headphones) could potentially annoy other customers who can easily walk into another shop to get what they need. It could also distract employees who should be organizing the dollar comics that are always out of order.

The only scenario I could see even coming close to working would be if the pinball machine were used as a way of driving the business of the Comic book shelf itself. Pinball machine is not available on coindrop, but you get a free game with every purchase, limit one per day. There is a monthly giveaway prize for the highest score and your name is in big letters (last months champ was jim-bob!), win Spiderman Compendium one signed by a 3rd rate artist for this month’s high score. This would limit customers to 1 game, might drive repeat trips to the store and your store over other stores. Finally, this would imply that people were only playing pinball AFTER making their purchases, which would mean (other than floor space) it would not be competing with the store’s business. Most rando’s playing pinball suck.

Also, on the Union thing. You work for a very small business in a position that lots of people would give fingers for. Certain positions, like working at an aquarium store (me old job), working in a comic book store, or working in a video game store have way more people wanting to work them than jobs available. I would strongly recommend against going down that path over a pinball machine.

The most common business model for pinball is people coming in to play pinball where the establishment breaks even on the game, but people buy beer/food. In around DC the only exceptions to this rule I know of are one that raises money as a charity for Special Needs kids and educates autistic kids (Spinners) and the one at Mom’s Organic Market in College Park which is the owner of the chain’s personal collection overflow and a place where he can run tournaments for fun. The only places that have pinball machines for employee use I am aware of around us are places where competition for employees is fierce, the employees all make 100k+, and it is part of a rediculous benefits package. Look how cool our office is! You should work here! Comic book shops don't generally have that problem.

#74 1 year ago

Great news! I contacted some local pinheads, and combined with the guys from work, we have about a dozen people to sign your petition and hopefully help to politely convince your boss that buying a pinball machine would be fun. We’re ready to help you!

So, again, which DC comic shop? Alliance? Victory? Amazing Comic Shop?

#75 1 year ago

This is an amazing troll. Nice job.

#76 1 year ago

Yeah, this guy's an idiot - i remember some of his other classic posts, browbeating a barmaid to kick some people out of a bar or something.

Buy your own fucking game and route it, jackass.

You seem to have a pattern of identifying some kind of misjustice, whether real or conceived, then threatening/coercing/badgering others into doing something about it because you're too much of a pussy to take action yourself -

#77 1 year ago

If I owned this store I’d probably fire this guy. Seems like trouble to me

#78 1 year ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

OP is the Simpsons comic book guy incarnate.

Except Simsons comic book guy owns the store.

#79 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Great news! I contacted some local pinheads, and combined with the guys from work, we have about a dozen people to sign your petition and hopefully help to politely convince your boss that buying a pinball machine would be fun. We’re ready to help you!

He's gone. You overfed the troll and he ate himself to death. Well played.

#80 1 year ago

I had an entertaining hour or so going and reading the OPs other posts and threads he started. The tournament, the bar, his sisters wedding….This stuff has to be fiction, no one could act this way and do these things without it ending up with someone eventually losing it and smashing him up.
    And then to come on here and brag about this stuff like anyone would think it was cool? No way. Unless, like I said before hes like 6 foot 5 and 260 lbs of muscle or something. You know, like most comic book store workers. You DC guys really need to go sign that petition and give us a full report. OP, anxiously awaiting stories of your further adventures!

#81 1 year ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

He's gone. You overfed the troll and he ate himself to death. Well played.

Yeah, I probably pushed it too far with the third request. I thought we may have been blessed with something creative like, “Oh, my boss won’t let me give that information away.”

I blame myself, but I really wanted to sign that imaginary petition at the pretend comic shop.

#82 1 year ago

Quit, and then go find a job somewhere that has a pinball machine. Or here is an idea, you raise capital, get loans, hire employees, etc. and start your own small business. Then you will probably discover that spending $8K+ on a pinball machine is a low priority in the overall scheme of things.

#83 1 year ago

rent one or have an operator place one in there if your boss wants it, no need to buy. let professionals take care of it.

#84 1 year ago

Why are people still giving suggestions? Doesn’t anyone actually read threads anymore, or is it just “I see a headline I need to respond!”

#85 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Why are people still giving suggestions? Doesn’t anyone actually read threads anymore, or is it just “I see a headline I need to respond!”

Just because we are late to the game, doesn't mean we have an opinion on the topic. Afterall, the thread is still open, right?

#86 1 year ago

I wonder how the union would treat a paper cut situation.

#87 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

in case a FUTURE person is contemplating as such, for reference.

#88 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

I'm not going to answer that on a public forum, are you crazy? If you really want to meet up DM me. How do you know I'm even from the DC area?

#89 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Not going to answer that on a public forum, are you crazy? If you really want to meet up DM me. How do you know I'm even from the DC area?

Screenshot_20220521-114337_Firefox.jpgScreenshot_20220521-114337_Firefox.jpg
    #90 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

I'm not going to answer that on a public forum

Okay!

Yes!

Quoted from PinlordMarc:

If you really want to meet up DM me.

No thanks!

Quoted from PinlordMarc:

How do you know I'm even from the DC area?

See above!

#91 1 year ago

#92 1 year ago

At first I thought the OP was a really lame troll getting his jollies by creating some lame pinside threads. Trying to get a rise out of us.

But now I'm actually thinking he believes all the stuff he posts.

I dunno....maybe we can get a poll going? Could you create one for the thread OP?

A- Lame troll
    B- This guy is actually for real
    C- Reverse troll genius

#93 1 year ago

Hey pinlordMarc I worked for Stephen a couple of times! Here's a suggestion on how to accomplish your goal. Every day bring a piece of a pinball machine in. Leg one day, a couple of bolts the next, lean the translite somewhere on the floor, kinda hide the cabinet in an unconspuous space for a few weeks. Your boss may not notice it consciously. Then start, slowly, assembling. This way he won't even know it's there.

Colbert Screen (resized).jpgColbert Screen (resized).jpg
    #94 1 year ago

He REEKS of Chris Kouloris.

#95 1 year ago

Give her/him some D?

#96 1 year ago

Apologies to Kaned-, I mean Marc. He’s actually from Nope, Ghana. My bad.

#99 1 year ago

This guy reminds me of a guy I grew up with.He was actually a pretty nice guy,but the biggest liar you ever met ! Here's an example of his story telling. He told us he had five pounds of pot buried up in Reading, 45 minutes from where we lived. The next day I said "Hey Mark,I'd like to get some of that weed from you.And Mark said, I sold it all.
    Yep,he want to Reading, and dug it up,and sold five pounds in less than 24 hours,after he dug it up. He only sold ounces,so he sold 80 ounces in less than 24 hours.
    It's kind of a pathetic that there's people like this, because you can't believe a word they ever say.

#100 1 year ago

Very quick update here -- I'm working at the store this evening while we're hosting a MTG tournament. Just got off the phone with a good friend of mine who owns a machine or two and convinced him to drop by the tourney tonight and talk to my boss about having a game. Hopefully this will push him to finally make the right move.

I'll update later tonight when I can.

There are 162 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-convince-my-boss-to-get-a-pinball-machine/page/2?hl=mrm_4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.