(Topic ID: 260991)

How do I clean rust from the rear of a backglass?

By jibmums

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jibmums
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I just pried the world's rustiest liftbar off the bottom of a nice Mata Hari backglass, and the rusted remains are pretty well adhered to it. The front is no problem, I'll just scrape them off with a razor blade, but how do I clean this off the back without damaging the printed artwork any further? The liftbar took a little of the print with it, but that's not such a big deal as a new one will cover it; I just don't want it to get any worse.

#2 4 years ago

Follow-up question: this isn't the first backglass I've seen that has a multitude of little round hazy spots etched into the front of the glass. They look like dried water spots, but continued scraping with a razor blade doesn't remove them, nor does alcohol or Fantastic. I though maybe they were inperfections in the glass, but they're not underneath where the liftbar used to be, so I'm guessing something that was sprayed onto the machine somehow etched it way into the glass. Anyone else ever seen this or know what caused it? I don't think I can remove it.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

I just pried the world's rustiest liftbar off the bottom of a nice Mata Hari backglass, and the rusted remains are pretty well adhered to it. The front is no problem, I'll just scrape them off with a razor blade, but how do I clean this off the back without damaging the printed artwork any further? The liftbar took a little of the print with it, but that's not such a big deal as a new one will cover it; I just don't want it to get any worse.

I've had good luck cleaning the rear artwork with a light spray of Mean Green on a paper towel and a quick rub with a quick dry with another paper towel. Windex also works, but again a quick rub and dry. Obviously not on flaking ink. Your front glass issue, I'd start with Novus 2, and if that doesn't remove it, Novus 3.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

If it's on the back and can't be seen, just leave it before you wind up ruining it.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Your front glass issue, I'd start with Novus 2, and if that doesn't remove it, Novus 3.

Great idea, that's taking it off nicely. Guess it wasn't etched into the glass after all, but holy cow, did I have to scrub long and hard! I'd love to know what it was that was sprayed on that even a razor blade wouldn't scrape off.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-clean-rust-from-the-rear-of-a-backglass?hl=tomdrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.