(Topic ID: 210389)

How do I clean a dirty lockbar receiver ?

By MichaelMullen

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by maestro
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20180220-163034 (resized).png
    image (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

How do I clean my lockbar reciever ? I looked into ordering the part (d-9163-1), but everyone I checked only has the whole assembly, which costs a lot more.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Looks fine to me. Put the lockbar on and play.

#3 6 years ago

soak it in evaporust

#4 6 years ago

Are you asking how to remove it from the game and remove the labels? It's cleaned the same way you clean any other piece of metal. Evaporust, Barkeeper's Friend, whatever your preference.

#5 6 years ago

Doesn't Mantis have these for sale for $40? I thought I saw that recently. BarKeep's friend is awesome

#6 6 years ago

I've never used Evaporust but reading up on it. Looks like a great product. I'm going to try this on one of my receivers. I used to use navel jelly on small areas of rust but that stuff is rough to use.

#7 6 years ago

Wire wheel (soft bristle) and clear lacquer.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Wire wheel (soft bristle) and clear lacquer.

I'd second this...if you feel it really bothers you. Evaporust doesn't do shit, I've left rusty legs wrapped in paper towels overnight and it didn't do anything.

I just don't see the point. The lockbar receiver isn't seen and nobody really cares...unless its a high end restore and everything else is extremely nice, in which case a dirty lockbar receiver will stand out when the game is opened and the buyer inspects it.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I'd second this...if you feel it really bothers you. Evaporust doesn't do shit, I've left rusty legs wrapped in paper towels overnight and it didn't do anything.
    I just don't see the point. The lockbar receiver isn't seen and nobody really cares...unless its a high end restore and everything else is extremely nice, in which case a dirty lockbar receiver will stand out when the game is opened and the buyer inspects it.

wait... wrapped in paper towels???

you have to leave the legs submerged in the stuff for a day. Evaporust works like a charm.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Evaporust doesn't do shit, I've left rusty legs wrapped in paper towels overnight and it didn't do anything.

paper towels?

EDIT: Hilton beat me.

Yeah umm...it works just fine when used correctly.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

legs submerged in the stuff for a day. Evaporust works like a charm.

Left my SBM legs for like a month or two while painting the cab, old paint peeled right off and zero rust was visable.
    I soaked my lockbar too, maybe a week, cleaned it off, cleared it - done!
    I'll have add pic later, already long moved it off the phone.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

wait... wrapped in paper towels???
    you have to leave the legs submerged in the stuff for a day. Evaporust works like a charm.

The instructions I followed said to soak paper towels in Evaporust and wrap the legs. That way they are coated overnight. What container could you use for pinball machine legs and how much Evaporust otherwise?

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

What container could you use for pinball machine legs and how much Evaporust otherwise?

Standard is to make yourself a PVC tube to put them in. You can reuse it

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cult-of-evaporust

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Left my SBM legs for like a month or two .

Geez, a month???? I don't really have a place to leave something like that a month. I never heard that it took a month for Evaporust to work...no wonder I thought it didn't do shit. A month?... I don't have that kind of time.

#15 6 years ago

Put a regular cap on one end and screw cap on the other... 4 legs fit just right

Takes about 3 gallons to fill.

Screenshot_20180220-163034 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180220-163034 (resized).png

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Standard is to make yourself a PVC tube to put them in

And then you have to fill the tube as well? Geez, by the time you buy all that PVC and Evaporust you might as well buy new legs.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

... I don't have that kind of time.

Ha neither do I. I've never left anything in over 2 days unless I forgot aboot it.

Quoted from wayout440:

And then you have to fill the tube as well?

No you just make the tube and don;t have to fill it with any Evaporust. You just put the legs in and it magically fixes them. You'll be too busy of course to notice anyway.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I never heard that it took a month for Evaporust to work...no wonder I thought it didn't do shit. A month?

I just " set it and forget it" I was repainting the cab so i didn't need em.
    It could have only needed a couple of days, I just failed to check the progress.
    I know on parts like my lockdown bar I only let it soak a couple days tops.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha neither do I. I've never left anything in over 2 days unless I forgot aboot it.

Lol. Pretty expensive too. You are into 3 gallons of Evaporust rust for about.70 bucks not including PVC. Ends up more expensive than buying a new set of legs and takes a helluva lot longer!

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Lol. Pretty expensive too. You are into 3 gallons of Evapirust rust for about !70 bucks not I,including PVC. Ends up more expensive than buying a new set of legs and takes a helluva lot longer

Correct. If you are only doing 1 set of legs it may be cheaper to just buy a new set.
    I don't know aboot quicker though...depending on supplies you might already own.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

You are into 3 gallons of Evaporust rust for about.70 bucks not including PVC. Ends up more expensive than buying a new set of legs

True, but since the stuff doesn't go bad. It can be used by all my pin friends!

Hell I soak tools, all sorts of things.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

paper towels?
    EDIT: Hilton beat me.
    Yeah umm...it works just fine when used correctly.

unfortunately that is the directions on the bottle... but we all know we just submerge it

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Lol. Pretty expensive too. You are into 3 gallons of Evaporust rust for about.70 bucks not including PVC. Ends up more expensive than buying a new set of legs and takes a helluva lot longer!

It's reusable several times over. If you just use it twice, you'll break about even. After that, you're saving money.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Evaporust doesn't do shit, I've left rusty legs wrapped in paper towels overnight and it didn't do anything.

Evaporust evaporates too quickly for to it really affect serious rust. That technique can work on siderails with some light surface rust, though.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Doesn't Mantis have these for sale for $40? I thought I saw that recently. BarKeep's friend is awesome

Mantis Amusements sells them for $65. See the two URLs below.

https://mantispinball.com/product/misc-receiver-with-spring/
    https://mantispinball.com/product/misc-receiver-without-spring/

Gord

#27 6 years ago

This is how I do it. It separates the boys from the men.

Quoted from maestro:

I use this method to restore old tools and parts. Even cleaned the rust out of my 1972 Honda motorcycle tank. Works like a charm. My wife asked me to help her with a chemistry project so we made the video on an old pipe vise I had laying around.
    » YouTube video

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-clean-a-dirty-lockbar-receiver and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.