Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by GoodToBeDad
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Image_1.jpg
System 11 pinball hacking tutorial.pdf (PDF preview)

#1 4 years ago

I'm re-theming a system 11 and I need to change the text on the display. I know it's possible, but not sure where to start. Any nudge in the right direction is appreciated.

#3 4 years ago

Text (ASCII) is usuallly pretty easy to find in the binary files of the eproms. The trouble is having to defeat or recalculate the checksum routine after you make the changes.

#4 4 years ago

As written above, you can change it straight-up in a HEX editor. Only it has to maintain the same length. In other words, you'll need to insert blank spaces where extra letters were previously, and you cannot exceed what is there currently without some larger hacking efforts.

You'll also need to re-calculate the checksum to burn and run the new EPROM properly, or turn off the checksum procedure all together.
System 11 pinball hacking tutorial.pdf

#6 4 years ago

What game? I can find the checksum procedure address in the EPROM and tell you what to change it to to disable it. Also, you wanna check any hacks in pinmame prior to doing so on the actual game to avoid bad stuff.

#7 4 years ago

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm looking forward to digging in.

Rollergames

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from GoodToBeDad:

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm looking forward to digging in.

Rollergames

If you literally just wanna change the ASCII and nothing else, it would be easier to disable the checksum procedure. I can look into where it is on this game and tell you what HEX values to change if you'd like.

1 month later
#9 4 years ago

Hey Guys. I'm looking at the roms in a hex editor and I can't find the display text anywhere. I'm looking at rolr_u27 and rolr_u26. What am I doing wrong?

#10 4 years ago

Text seems to be in the u26 rom. This is a screenprint from my Hex editor....

Image 1.jpg

#11 4 years ago

I saw that, but none of that text is part of the game. I'm not sure what that text is.

#12 4 years ago

I'm interested in figuring out how to do this as well. I also thought I could find the various words that appear on the display in the ROM code but they weren't there.

Maybe the game code just specifies a letter and location to place it on the display and spells things one letter at a time instead of whole words or phrases?

#13 4 years ago

Still trying to solve this. Has anyone done this before?

#14 4 years ago

I haven't found any answers for this. Any help is appreciated.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Boards
PinSound
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
1,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Simpsonville, SC
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside