Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pinzrfun
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20191207_064322 (resized).jpg
    20191207_064448 (resized).jpg
    20191207_064441 (resized).jpg
    20191207_064406 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Well, I blew a hundred bucks on Comets Black Friday sale - mostly warm white frosted, I want to brighten up a couple backboxes and lighten the load on the G.I. string on T2 and try adding some color without clown puking it -

Anyways, I got some clear red 2SMD leds for behind the red lettering on the translite to punch it up a bit, but there's a noticeable red "flashlight" effect that's bugging me. Shoulda got frosted apparently (which I usually do) because all the other (warm white frosted) translite led's look great. It's not super noticeable from across the room really, but i know it's there and damn it, it's gonna bug me. So I was wondering if there are any tricks to diffusing these somehow, maybe putting a little wax on them? Hit them with sandpaper?

They're actually more red in person, the color is nice, pics kinda wash it out. I also got 2 packs of blue, one frosted, one clear, just to play around with the GI. I thought maybe adding some around the perimeter under the blue plastics, just experimenting in the pics - my game room is definitely a no-clown-puke zone and will remain so -
    20191207_064322 (resized).jpg20191207_064322 (resized).jpg20191207_064406 (resized).jpg20191207_064406 (resized).jpg20191207_064441 (resized).jpg20191207_064441 (resized).jpg20191207_064448 (resized).jpg20191207_064448 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

It’s the clear lenses. Try frosted.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

So I was wondering if there are any tricks to diffusing these somehow, maybe putting a little wax on them? Hit them with sandpaper?

As someone who also suffers OCD from crap like this, I appreciate the brainstorming! Here's another goofy idea I've heard people have done on clear bulbs. You can get some red acrylic paint (less than a dollar at local hobby stores) and just paint the tip or whole lens to reduce the hot spot or improve dispersion.

But in general you want to stick to frosted or dimmer varriety LEDs in the backbox.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Agreed. The frost acts as a diffuser.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

This ^^^

#6 4 years ago

much easier to put bulb condoms on them. Diffuses the light and makes it look much better. Then next order get some frosted red or even better frosted pink. It makes the red pop more.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

As someone who also suffers OCD from crap like this, I appreciate the brainstorming! Here's another goofy idea I've heard people have done on clear bulbs. You can get some red acrylic paint (less than a dollar at local hobby stores) and just paint the tip or whole lens to reduce the hot spot or improve dispersion.
    But in general you want to stick to frosted or dimmer varriety LEDs in the backbox.

Heck, I have some red touch-up paint - now that I think about it, I think we also have some of that frost-in-a-can Xmas stuff too! I seem to remember once seeing something about sanding the rounded edge of the bulb flat to disperse the light too. I'll order some red frosted next time I place an order, but in the meantime this'll give me something to do lol.

Thanks guys -

#8 4 years ago

And as a bonus the white light beams behind the letters will stay whiter with pink behind the red letters.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hawk007:

And as a bonus the white light beams behind the letters will stay whiter with pink behind the red letters.

I'll try that - thank you!

#10 4 years ago

get some sand paper and lightly sand the clear lense to defuse it using high grit

#11 4 years ago

Remove them

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Remove them

Oh, come on, o-din...we all know your position on leds, but from a perfectly practical standpoint, I've already replaced the GI connectors on this thing once, T2 is well known to have a stressed GI circuit....

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I've already replaced the GI connectors on this thing once, T2 is well known to have a stressed GI circuit....

Yeah I've done it to just about every 90s Williams with better connectors and they have worked great ever since.

#14 4 years ago

Scuff the clear lens with fine grit sandpaper which will basically make them frosted lens.

#15 4 years ago

Black sharpie the top of the bulb. Just like a car headlight.

#16 4 years ago

Pretty much the only time I use clear lenses are on EM games when bulbs are visible in order to simulate the look of incandescent bulbs.

Otherwise, everything I generally use is either frosted or has no lens.

#17 4 years ago

As mentioned, I’ve used sand paper to scuff just the tops. It works great!

#18 4 years ago

Get a milk jug. Cut some small squares out of it. And hot glue the square to the top of the bulbs.

#19 4 years ago

Try beer
    a few cans and you wont notice
    (I don't think it is that bad)

#20 4 years ago

Wax Paper behind the lettering in the translite.

#21 4 years ago

I use a Scotch Brite

#22 4 years ago

Replace leds with #44 or #47 (cooler) incandescent bulbs, an it will look like the designer intended.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

Replace leds with #44 or #47 (cooler) incandescent bulbs, an it will look like the designer intended.

The designer would have used LEDs if they were available. They used the best they had. It wasn't always what they wanted just what they had.

#24 4 years ago

As a follow up -

Frosted led's for the win (next time i order leds). I tried sanding the tips and a couple of the other suggestions that weren't too ridiculous, and aside from drinking a few more beers, this seems to be the way to go.

Thanks for the suggestions guys -

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-i-calm-down-these-leds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.