4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 141 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Jurassic-Park-3-008.jpg
    7_G.jpg
    25_G.jpg
    image.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

He'd never pay out

You'd never pony up.

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

The people who say it's overpriced either a) never got one; or b) don't have a grail pin that they love enough to give the HEP treatment.

Actually I heard from an owner. But why would he post that here, he'd just get flamed and slaughtered by owners. But yes, overall I've heard nothing but great things.

#103 4 years ago

I've heard nice things about you, too, Kaneda. But I ain't talking for the same reasons.

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've heard nice things about you, too, Kaneda. But I ain't talking for the same reasons.

Buddies to the end, you and me.

#105 4 years ago

OK enough back and forth - let's get back on the subject...

Help me out - assume this is my grail pin so let's not consider $$ as a factor for arguments sake.

I have the option to get a Williams original MM or purchase a NIB standard MMr
    I have already paid my money for the MMr but could use that against the Williams MM
    So - would you:

A - buy the MMr and love it

B - buy the Williams MM and then have a high end restoration done by HEP or other

Thoughts?

#106 4 years ago

If money is not an issue than you buy a MM and have HEP restore it for you. You will have the best MM and you can customize it to your exact standards. You will have the ability to make it EXACTLY as you want. Good luck!

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from AJB4:

Help me out - assume this is my grail pin so let's not consider $$ as a factor for arguments sake.
    I have already paid my money for the MMr but could use that against the Williams MM
    So - would you:
    B - buy the Williams MM and then have a high end restoration done by HEP or other
    Thoughts?

I would simply for time constraints go MMr. Doesn't matter to me that it is not an original, and brand new is just as good as HEP in my mind. I definitely don't see why people send NIB games to be "restored".

But get it with black powder coat. The gold is total out of place IMO.

Option A.

#108 4 years ago

as long as my wife doesn't look at the check book it will be awesome... If I am collecting these things then an original is best and the high end restoration makes me feel better about going that route vs the nib remake. I know this topic has been discussed 10,000 times over here on pinside but I think it is a question that a number of people are still struggling with. I sort of still am.

#109 4 years ago

I have a black standard on order.

#110 4 years ago

Also gotta say that my wife doesn't really understand why I would buy a pin when I can play like 50 different ones on my phone with the pinball arcade app. She's not a pinhead and hasn't succumbed to the lure of the silver ball..

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from AJB4:

So - would you:
    Thoughts?

MM now, skip HEP and enjoy the game.

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from wcbrandes:

I think its stupid to call people stupid who use stupid money to create stupid things that make them stupid happy

Well that's just stupendous

#113 4 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

MM now, skip HEP and enjoy the game.

Option A. LEDs, colored dmd, probable multi-colorizing soon, lot less 20 year old stuff to break...

Still has Merlin hole drop out issue, like the original, so there's that...

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Seen lots of tries , a one or even a ten timer will never achieve HEP results! Just keeping it real .

+ 1

Chris Hutchins, Bryan Kelly, Jim McCune, Allen Shope, Chad Keller and many others not named have spent years perfecting their craft and they are very, very good at it. If you don't have the skill set to pull off a high-end restoration then really your only option is to find someone willing to sell their high-end restoration to you or to commission one of the high-end restorers to restore a game for you.

If you have a lot of free time and want to try to perform a high-end restoration yourself, then more power to you. I have a lot of respect for folks who take this stuff on themselves and also completely understand it when someone hires a high-end restorer to restore a game. To each his own.

Gord

#115 4 years ago

I've restored a few games, two to CQ status. HEP is indeed the best. He is very organized, which decreases wait times, he has invested crazy money into equipment, again, better quality and decreases down time, but most of all he is motivated. This IS his full time career. I've got a full time job, and dabble in pins. I can only imagine his dedication.

The time and money spent towards an HEP resto is spent wisely. It's a consistent solid investment.

I bash Chris for his posts when he tries to defend his rep on Pinside, for good reason. His work defends itself.

#116 4 years ago
    Quoted from AJB4:

So - would you:
    Thoughts?

Money aside? B. All day. It would be better than NIB. Factual. That's why it's almost twice the price of an MMr.

#117 4 years ago
    Quoted from AJB4:

Also gotta say that my wife doesn't really understand why I would buy a pin when I can play like 50 different ones on my phone with the pinball arcade app. She's not a pinhead and hasn't succumbed to the lure of the silver ball..

My wife has. It's almost just as bad as a non-pinhead wife. She has a wish list of pins she expects me to get, some of which I didn't originally plan on getting. I guess we will just need to make extra room. Haha

#118 4 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

HEP games do NOT wear like every other game I assure you that. I've had a couple previously hep'd games that still were AMAZING years later.

You are very much correct sir! Your post should have a large amount of thumbs up! My Getaway is still fantastic 7 years later. People should not be afraid to play them after restore.

#119 4 years ago

She did offer up a storage area in the basement which has since been converted into my pinball cave. Just enough room for 7 pins, a ms pac-man and a tall-boy cocktail table. I hung a couple of neon's on the wall and I am there. Outta sight and outta her mind - Happy wife, happy flippin' life...

#120 4 years ago
    Quoted from AJB4:

She did offer up a storage area in the basement which has since been converted into my pinball cave. Just enough room for 7 pins, a ms pac-man and a tall-boy cocktail table. I hung a couple of neon's on the wall and I am there. Outta sight and outta her mind - Happy wife, happy flippin' life...

Here's the thing. I'd say go HEP all the way if money is no object. But if MM is what you want, why not save $10,000 for a brand new Pin? I get HEP makes it better than new, but will you really have $10,000 more fun? If the goal is the make a pin BETTER than new, why not send HEP an MMR and let them just strengthen up all of the weak points. You'd probably save a ton because they wouldn't have to do so much of the cabinet work or any touchups at all. Just make it bling...

#121 4 years ago

Very interesting concept - I was sort of thinking about doing that for some of my newer pins like LOTR LE - have them tighten it up and add in some mods and figurines since it is in pretty good shape.

My other thought was get the MMr and then for the final 7th spot in my pinball cave go for something classic Williams like Funhouse or Taxi. See if I could find one on the cheap in reasonably good shape and have them bling it out...

Who doesn't love Taxi or FH???

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from AJB4:

Very interesting concept - I was sort of thinking about doing that for some of my newer pins like LOTR LE - have them tighten it up and add in some mods and figurines since it is in pretty good shape.
    My other thought was get the MMr and then for the final 7th spot in my pinball cave go for something classic Williams like Funhouse or Taxi. See if I could find one on the cheap in reasonably good shape and have them bling it out...
    Who doesn't love Taxi or FH???

I'd save the HEP money for a pin that is your favorite or grail. Personally, I think a Bally/Williams HEP is the way to go. Something like IJ that they will never remake. Or something that's already a work of art like a Circus Voltaire or Theater of Magic.

#123 4 years ago

Really happy with my Sega Sonic The Hedgehog HEP. $25k for anyone interested.

#124 4 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

I'd save the HEP money for a pin that is your favorite or grail. Personally, I think a Bally/Williams HEP is the way to go. Something like IJ that they will never remake. Or something that's already a work of art like a Circus Voltaire or Theater of Magic.

I think that really good advice and is probably the right way to think about that kind of $$ outlay.
    Thanks
    AJB

#125 4 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Here's the thing. I'd say go HEP all the way if money is no object. But if MM is what you want, why not save $10,000 for a brand new Pin? I get HEP makes it better than new, but will you really have $10,000 more fun? If the goal is the make a pin BETTER than new, why not send HEP an MMR and let them just strengthen up all of the weak points. You'd probably save a ton because they wouldn't have to do so much of the cabinet work or any touchups at all. Just make it bling...

Because you can look at a MMr on any given day and it will always be just that, an MMr. OR....you can have that rare opportunity to see a HEP in person and be completely in awe of the craftmanship that went into it.

If you send HEP an MMr he's still going to tear it all the way down and reclear the playfield to begin with. Then there will undoubtedly be a number of other details that he will give his special treatment, so it's still a lot of work. Just depends whether you want a MM or MMr I guess.

#126 4 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

Because you can look at a MMr on any given day and it will always be just that, an MMr. OR....you can have that rare opportunity to see a HEP in person and be completely in awe of the craftmanship that went into it.
    If you send HEP an MMr he's still going to tear it all the way down and reclear the playfield to begin with. Then there will undoubtedly be a number of other details that he will give his special treatment, so it's still a lot of work. Just depends whether you want a MM or MMr I guess.

I had to laugh a bit. Some of you guys make it sound like seeing a HEP is like seeing a Unicorn or Dinosaur for the first time. Is it that magical?

Jurassic-Park-3-008.jpg
    #127 4 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Is it that magical?

Well........we know who HASN'T seen one.

#128 4 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

I saw a HEP CFTBL sell on Ebay for $4500 not long ago. I wish I would have seen it while it was active. I would have gone for it..

I don't believe that one was done by Chris.

#129 4 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

Well........we know who HASN'T seen one.

Bingo. No snobbery on this one. But if you have restored a machine, and then look at what the top restores do; you can truly apprecaite what they have done, and the $$$ they charge. You can see the quality and attention to detail. They come out nicer restored, then when they originaly came off the line.

No more post from me on this thread, and i wont respond to the flame i got. It would just derail the thread.

#130 4 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

I don't believe that one was done by Chris.

It's not showing anymore on EBay. I remember him saying it was a HEP and it cost 4G to do it & he was taking a beating on the resale. But people do throw around HEP even when it's not..

#131 4 years ago

I played a $20,000 HEP Monster bash and it was as if it rolled off the assembly line but better due to upgrades. The owner supplied the doner pin but I think that was only about $6k part of the $20k. Waaaaaay Out of my league but if your rich who cares about $20k. And Chris does an amazing job I am glad he is out there making a living doing this great hobby.

#132 4 years ago

I swear I'm having a bit of déjà vu....

Looks like Kaneda's going back to one of his standbys... Starting a thread to ask a bunch of questions about something he has no interest in ever purchasing. How many pins has he done this with?

I swear; it's like a rerun with this guy.

#133 4 years ago

I helped a guy sell a HEP MM, wasn't even out of the crate and sold for 18k. So I really don't think you would actually get 14k for a IJ HEP. Realistic price is closer to 10k. They are worth more, and I know it costs around 3k-5k for him to do a restore (least it used to, not sure now) depending on the condition of the starter package. but then you have to wait a year or 2 to get it back. Hence the mark up. You dont' have to wait and it's ready to go now.

#134 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I swear I'm having a bit of déjà vu....
    Looks like Kaneda's going back to one of his standbys... Starting a thread to ask a bunch of questions about something he has no interest in ever purchasing. How many pins has he done this with?
    I swear; it's like a rerun with this guy.

Dude, get off your high horse. If pinside limited conversations to things we were going to buy, then 99.9 % of people should stay the f#$k out of each thread. I am not allowed to talk about HEP? Says who? And I'm not saying anything bad at all. Just having a conversation about them and what makes them so special. Lots of great dialogue happening, but then you come in and cry about me. What is it about me that makes so many of you unable to function like adults?

I got flamed when looking for a pin because I asked to see lots of photos. Everyone said I was a tire kicker and would never buy anything. Then I bought a mint LOTR LE and nobody said sorry, nobody apologized. I was just labeled as wasting people's time. Well sorry I don't just hand over 7-10K for a toy without making sure it's the one I want.

How many people in Zidware's thread are in on one? How many in the Hobbit? Lebowski? Less than 5% of people in threads are in on the game. Shove your negativity your arse.

#135 4 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

And your true motivation is exposed... it's not curiosity, it's you want to challenge what people feel a HEP game is worth paying for.

The guy's history and output speak for itself. If you don't want to buy that level of game.. ok, but stop playing the stupid coy games so you can get your forum jollies.

#136 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

And your true motivation is exposed... it's not curiosity, it's you want to challenge what people feel a HEP game is worth paying for.
    The guy's history and output speak for itself. If you don't want to buy that level of game.. ok, but stop playing the stupid coy games so you can get your forum jollies.

Are you serious man? I bet you light a pipe and pat yourself on the back after you post crap like this. I wasn't challenging the notion of a HEP, just when it comes to MM/MMR dude. Why get an MM restored when there are brand new MMR's out there. That's all. To me HEP makes more sense on older games that won't be remade. I think many would agree with me. Not seeing many HEP mustang orders flying in.

#137 4 years ago

Checked the inbox .Not a single email nor inquiry from kaneda.Strange!

#138 4 years ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

There you are. Welcome to the thread. So my original question was around an Indy. Ballpark, what does it usually cost to make Indy sweet as HEP? Saw one for sale for 14K. I didn't PM because I wanted people to see discussion. Didn't mean anything by it.

#139 4 years ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

LOL. Thanks for the chuckle.

#140 4 years ago

One day Chris I'm sending you my Indiana Jones !!! It's my Dogs name and love the movies .. And I admit I even like the 4th !

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

One day Chris I'm sending you my Indiana Jones !!! It's my Dogs name and love the movies .. And I admit I even like the 4th !

Owning a HEP Indy would be epic. If I didn't get LOTR, Indy it would have been. So does a 14K HEP Indy got all the bells and whistles, or can it go higher? Was just hoping we could have this discussion out here for people see.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    £ 99.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 103.00
    $ 199.99
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 163.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 69.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    MicksPinball
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside