(Topic ID: 292366)

How do current new Stern titles compare to the "Golden WPC" era?

By sharkey1331

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6 pins Feb2021 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sharkey1331.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Hi folks!
Here's my question: For someone who's been away from Pinball for a bit, and my previous focus and go-to were the WPC pins (especially: TAF, TZ, FT, ST:TNG, DW, CTFBL, WH20) how do the current/new Stern games compare as far as playability, feel, quality, etc.? I like the last Bally/Wms stuff (MB, MM, SS, AFM, etc.) and appreciate their deeper rulesets, but I played the earlier WPC games much more, so that's what I know.

I've not had a chance to play many new Sterns lately- will try to find some and play some more. I have played Beatles- but as this is a suped up SeaWitch, I'm not sure this counts? (It's a nice machine don't get md wrong!) I have played Monopoly, and also The Simpsons Pinball Party. TSPP was especially fun. I cannot speak to maintenance/quality though, as I've only played on location when they were new.

So- hopefully this post won't kick off some kinda kooky holy war! I'm just way outta date, and trying to compare to what I know.

If you guys could suggest some pins I should try to find/play? Deadpool is perhaps the newest I've seen. Avengers Infinity QuestI think is still out/avail, but haven't seen any on location yet.

Thanks!

#15 2 years ago

Awesome insight- please keep it coming! Truth be told, I'm considering buying a new Stern pin.

I've been considering deadpool: I was able to go to a place near me (Crabtowne in MD) tonight and sink a few dollars into the deadpool there. I love the look of the game, and I suppose it felt ok (played fast, flippers plenty of juice and great feel). Too loud in there to hear any music or callouts unfortunately. The shot just to the left of the "start battle" scoop (or whatever that thing is called) looked like it was supposed to shoot a fast u-turn, but the ball would never go all the way through even with a direct hit. Other shots felt nice and smooth (like that left ramp!), liked the mini-deadpool drop targets and capture, that was neat. Seemed a few other shots were not as smooth as they could be unless hit perfectly. Lots of drains down the center, especially if coming off the jets. I wonder if this one is perhaps not set up 100% or need of tune up? The rules don't seem as deep as I was expecting; I'm certainly not knocking the game (and I know I still have a lot to learn), but I feel like a game like TSPP is much deeper?

Maybe I need to try a different deadpool, where I can hear it also. I also want to try an Avengers Infinity Quest.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 75.00
$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sharkey1331.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-current-new-stern-titles-compare-to-the-golden-wpc-era?tu=sharkey1331 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.