(Topic ID: 277216)

How difficult is it to upload the ROM from an old pinball machine?

By oldbaby

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

There's some extremely rare Solid State pinball machines whose ROMs have never been uploaded, and I reached out to their owners and offered to pay them to upload said ROMs before they're lost forever. I'm assuming that neither of them have ever uploaded a ROM before, but maybe they can reach out to someone who has in their community and split the money with them? I've never dumped/uploaded a ROM before, so I don't know how much I should offer to pay.

#2 3 years ago

I havent done it myself but isnt it simply to buy a ROM reader for a "few" bucks, remove rom from machine to the reader and dump it with software in a minute or two? Should be a simple process as long as the physical ROM is of a type the reader supports.

#3 3 years ago

It depends on type of ROM. New rom programmers often don't support the old obsolete types anymore, particularly those that require three different supply voltages. Also if the game doesn't have separate ROM but a mask programmed MPU, reading can be impossible.

What manufacturer and games are we now talking about?

#4 3 years ago

maybe they are aware of how rare their game is and dont want to risk turning it into a brick

it is rarely about money, it is about trust and friendship
if I had ROMs to read, there is only a handful of people I would trust to know how to do it properly

#5 3 years ago

Sometimes it's as easy as dropping it in the burner, sometimes you need to make a custom adapter, sometimes it's impossible.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

It depends on type of ROM. New rom programmers often don't support the old obsolete types anymore, particularly those that require three different supply voltages. Also if the game doesn't have separate ROM but a mask programmed MPU, reading can be impossible.
What manufacturer and games are we now talking about?

Sega of Japan Solid States.

I didn't know that uploading the ROM can be dangerous. That's unfortunate.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from oldbaby:

I didn't know that uploading the ROM can be dangerous.

If the person reading the ROM knows what they're doing, it's not.

#8 3 years ago

Sort of OT, but I am reminded of the silly old lady I worked with at Motorola Microcomputer way back when, who considered herself a "programmer" because she sat all day mass "programming" EPROMs!

I guess if the nomenclature had been different, she could have been a "writer"!

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Sort of OT, but I am reminded of the silly old lady I worked with at Motorola Microcomputer way back when, who considered herself a "programmer" because she sat all day mass "programming" EPROMs!
I guess if the nomenclature had been different, she could have been a "writer"!

burner

#10 3 years ago

I don't remember if programming erasables was called burning, burn sounds so permanent. I know one burns a ROM.

But probably, yeah. Dunno what she would have made of having a job title of "burner"! Sounds up there with "raper" and "pillager"!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-difficult-is-it-to-upload-the-rom-from-an-old-pinball-machine?hl=oldbaby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.