Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Drano
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

To a lot of people (myself included) having an extremely challenging game is much better than a game you can get to the wizard mode easily on. So what do people do to make games tougher? Big yellow rubber posts? Remove outlane posts? Set tilts extremely tight? No extra balls?

Or do you guys just like to set it to 5 balls and go to town?

#2 11 years ago

3 balls, set incline to 6.5-8 deg, steeper for more challenge, *some games need to 6.5 to play correctly*. Set tilt, open outlanes, adjust rules from factory, extra ball settings, ball save timer, mode requirements etc.

#3 11 years ago

I have all my machines on Tournament mode, no extra balls, posts out on LOTR, rules on Hard, tilts are not crazy tight - but your not sliding the game across the floor, outlane posts are up on games like RBION - Its challenging for sure but if your going to play in tournaments this is what you need to do.

Everything waxed and always playing fast.
    45 minute games on LOTR has been brought back to reality normal 10 minute game, destroy the ring is actually hard to get to once again.

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballrus:

To a lot of people (myself included) having an extremely challenging game is much better than a game you can get to the wizard mode easily on. So what do people do to make games tougher? Big yellow rubber posts? Remove outlane posts? Set tilts extremely tight? No extra balls?
    Or do you guys just like to set it to 5 balls and go to town?

I set them to factory settings. I like to experience the game the way it was designed for and the way I remember it on route.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

I set them to factory settings. I like to experience the game the way it was designed for and the way I remember it on route.

+1

#6 11 years ago

Factory, except I take out the plumb bobs.

#7 11 years ago

Mostly factory as the most difficult, as I have non-pinball player family...so I sacrifice to make it easier for them to play the games and get any kind of extra balls, etc..

I usually set them to extra easy when I first get them, and then creep up to factory; after they play a few times.

If I make them difficult for me, I reset them when visitors come.

Robert

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Mostly factory as the most difficult, as I have non-pinball player family...so I sacrifice to make it easier for them to play the games and get any kind of extra balls, etc..
    I usually set them to extra easy when I first get them, and then creep up to factory; after they play a few times.
    If I make them difficult for me, I reset them when visitors come.
    Robert

Ditto for me. Start easy and get harder over time, but always easier for guests.

#9 11 years ago

Factory reset on everything that comes through the door.

Only way I can ever enter high scores....

#10 11 years ago

All my games are on factory settings except for tilt warnings which I have a 2. Angles are steep and my games are always clean and waxed for maximum speed. When I play games that are not mine they always feel too slow.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Now if Les Manly is coming over, then it is tilts tight, no extra balls, outlane posts removed, setting to HARD!!

#12 11 years ago

Factory settings for me as well. I set the tilts ultra tight though since I also play on other tables with very tight tilts and I don't want to get into bad nudging habits.

#13 11 years ago

3 balls, tournament mode, no extra balls. Factory or tougher settings. Usually tougher on multiballs - especially on games like AFM and LOTR. Ball saves turned off or time reduced. Some games with very tight tilts.

#14 11 years ago

Tight tilts, 1 or 2 extra balls maximum, open outlanes, 7 - 8 degrees slope, software mostly factory defaults, but sometimes harder settings depending on the game, tournament settings for league or competitive play.

#15 11 years ago

Factory setting +1

#16 11 years ago

Factory everything all the way around 6.5 degrees, medium lanes, tight / moderate tilt.

#17 11 years ago

I set everything on factory settings for the most part, unless other pinball forum guys are coming over- then I set everything to difficult to hopefully prevent someone from beating my high scores so I don't become pissed off and obsessive about beating it!

#18 11 years ago

5 Balls for all and pretty hard.

Usually max out ball save since that eases the pain on tourneys when someone has a instant drain.

#19 11 years ago

3 Balls.

8 - 9 degrees.

Factory settings.

Medium outlanes.

Like em fast!

#20 11 years ago

Lots more folks leaving them on factory settings than I would have predicted. I usually set it to 1 extra ball at some pretty high, but attainable score, set the tilt nice and tight, 3 balls, make the settings pretty much as hard as possible, put tournament mode on, and have big wide outlanes. I think I would get bored of a game if it wasn't a challenge. But everyone wants different things out of their games

#21 11 years ago

Factory settings FTW!!

#22 11 years ago

9deg,3 ball, moderate settings, I recently changed the settings on my baywatch to make it a bit more difficult to get multi-ball.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

+1

#24 11 years ago

Factory settings, but if I find a game especially challenging, I'm not against tightening up the outlanes and dropping the plumb bob a touch. A least until I get more used to it.
    There's nothing more frustrating than trying to get into a game and learn the ruleset with 10 second ball times.
    Once it gets easy, just set it to normal or difficult and raise it up a bit.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-difficult-do-you-set-your-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.