Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by SUPERBEE
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6765 (resized).JPG
    the circle2 (resized).jpg
    Wall-o-Stern (resized).jpg
    P1180131 (resized).JPG
    P1180119 (resized).JPG
    03004d720fd85d60ce34884fde8a17fa6c3ca5dc (resized).jpg
    893eb06500b37e1aa24360ba3f6f9f2cada31525 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7817 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7523 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1058 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1054 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1056 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0827 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2546 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2521 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2507 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider superbee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

With all the negative things being discussed (NIB issues, licensing issues etc ) I though it would be fun to hear how the average guy got into , or back into pinball because at the end of it all, is that not the reason we are all here ?? Tell your story ...
    I will start.

As a kid in the mid 70s to mid 80s i always loved pinball. Couldnt wait to go to the local arcade to play all the amazing machines that were on route back then. Then responsible life began and i found that i had less and less time to get out there and play. Over the years in my late teens, 20s, 30s, and half of my 40s i never really thought much about pinball . I was just living life. Then one night it changed. I was at my cottage and a neighbour friend of mine on the lake asked if i wanted to check out his basement(cant remember why) lol but i said sure. Lo and behold...he had a Firepower, Alien poker , and a Joust down there. I was blown away!!! I didnt realize that people actually had them at home for petes sake !! We drank beers and played all night. I was hooked once again !! That was about 4 years ago and pinball has been a big part of my life ever since. I bought my first machine which is an F14 Tomcat. I didnt know anything about repairs , mods, etc. I was completely green ! Had to call in a tech for even the simplest things.Slowly i started to learn with mostly the help of people here on pinside. Rebuilt the flippers, replaced coils, switches etc. Next machine was a Space Shuttle. Bough it completetly beat for a cheap price. With the knowledge i had gained over the year of owning F14 i dug in and did a full restore on the SS . Now, im still not great with board work (its slowly getting better) but i can with confidence , pretty much take on anything else. It turned out amazing. Full restore including cab stencils etc. Next machine was my High Speed 2 The Getaway. Ended up doing a total full on restore. It really turned out great . I plan on expanding my collection as money (wife lol ) allows but i think im hooked for life. Im truly bitten by the bug !

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

When I came back, I had to get it working again. That is when my pinball problem started.

Not the start of a problem but the start of a passion! Luv it !

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

For me it is all my sons fault! About 8 years ago we bought a house with my son & daughter-in-law (we live in the In-Law area and they have the main house). About 8 months after moving in my son comes down to my basement office and says "what do you think about putting a gameroom in the basement". My reply was - that would be cool but if we are going to do it we need to learn to fix machine ourselves - "I am not going to deal with finding someone to repair them".

8 years and over 400 machines later I am still buying these stupid things! The first 3 years we bought, fixed up and sold enough machines to pretty much pay for our collection. After that I have mostly just been buying - nothing sold for over 3 years - but a bunch of machines will need to go soon. I am getting tired of paying storage rent on 4 storage units!

So my goal in 2017 is to get the game count down to under 50 machines so everything will fit in the house again. With that said I have offers out on 3 machines and have picked up 14 machines in the past month and also have a deal in the works with a guy for his entire collection (50+ machines). Talk about being INSANE!

Thats amazing. So before you moved in with your son the thought of having a machine wasnt really on the radar ? Awesome story !!

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Philk:

I don't recall ever really playing pins when I was young. Came across a slightly beat up Indiana Jones at a bar. Would play it while waiting for friends to get their checks. Then talked with my friend about the Addams Family pin that I had remembered from childhood and how wild it was. Heard about a TAF on location at a skating rink, and played the shit out of it. The place would open for like 4 hours, and I'd just feed that thing quarters for 4 hours straight. Next thing you know i'm shopping for my first pin, and so on and so forth hah

Yeppers !! thats how it starts ! lol

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Didn't realize that you were allowed to buy pinball machines.

I know !! i never really gave actually having one in my home as an option any thought until i saw my friends machines !

Quoted from schudel5:

Ended up buying my first game shortly thereafter. And the rest has been a downward spiral into obsession, compulsion and sheer poverty; but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Me neither my friend !!

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballer0415:

Dad finished up basement 10 years ago and let me pick out a pinball machine which I played a lot

Cool DAD !! How old were you ?

I was playing for fun in Columbia, MO and a random competitive player was watching me put up a billion on TAF

WOW !!!

Love the hobby and the people.

And this is truly whats its all about !

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Yeah, I thought you had to own a business to buy one. My uncle had one in his basement but his father owned a bar.

Yep, i think a lot of people thought this years past.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I have a serious aversion to saving money.

It doesnt have to be a super expensive hobby. Just stay away from all the super duper blingy nib hype and just get yourself a beater and play some pinball and have some fun !!

Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Also, nothing is cooler than pinball.

Amen bro !!

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Started Playing in 1965, I was 5.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Bought my first game in 73.

Wow, so you were around 13 when you bought your first machine. Very cool . Im jealous !

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

My Brother bought one first

Quoted from MK6PIN:

My Wife said I needed a hobby....straight downhill from there....

Come on guys , little more detail . This is about us seeing how others truly got into this mess lol

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Yup, 13, Saved my money from delivering Newsday and NY Daily News...10 cent tips, saved to buy a Sing Along for $150.

Thats truly awesome !

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from clg:

I played pinball a bit as a kid but mostly played video games growing up. About 5 years ago I cleaned out a work room in my house and started turning it into a man cave. I bought a cheap pinball machine (Cosmic Princess) as I wanted something to put in there. The collection grew, I learned to fix them, buy project games when I can find them and I route pins and organise local tournaments.

Great story dg and oh soo common !!

Quoted from clg:Wondering what another 5 years will bring.

Hmmm... more pins maybe ? lol

Quoted from clg:

I have a plan but not sure if I can pull it off

You will my friend !! Its only pinball right ?

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I think Lloyd did the same thing 10 years earlier!

Loydd is the man for so many reasons as we all know !

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

From 8-12 years old, Id draw play field designs all day long, in the hard black covered notebook, and mail with a letter to
    The Pin companies then.....only David Gottlieb replied with a letter....something to the affect of "keep it up, come visit when I finish college"

What an amazing story !!

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

My dad, brother and I when I was about 13 found a near mint almost completely home use only 1959 Gottlieb Queen of Diamonds in my grandpa's basement in 2009..

WOW !!!

Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

I was in absolute shock and never knew that my dad had his own pinball machine in his house in the 70's..we bought 3 more ever since and We plan on buying more! Build on the collection for life!

Yeah man !!

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from 20eyes:

My friends parents had an EM pin their living room when we were in grade school not sure what one it was but that always stuck with me how cool that was to actually have one... My aunt also had an EM pin in their garage when I was kid same thing no idea what it was. All I can remember is the ball got stuck when you played it. What got me interested in "collecting" was a creature pin in the game room of a local resort I worked at when I was in high school and it got me thinking about the pins my aunt and buddy had years ago. When I asked about them at that time they both said the same thing we gave that away to a neighbor year ago... Then I got my own place and it was all down hill after that.

Great story!! , Yep, thats how it starts !

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

About 7 years ago my wife wanted a pinball machine. You know what they say.... Happy wife happy life! We have 6 machines at the moment and she wants to change the house around so we can fit more. Happy wife so life is good!

Nice !! What was your first machine ?

#54 7 years ago

Nice , that was my first pin too !

#55 7 years ago

i wanted to respond to every post because i think this is a real thread for real pinball lovers to hear real stories but i cant keep up which is awesome !! keep the stories coming!! I think this is a breath of fresh air from all the negative stuff going on in here.

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

My mom grew up here, and had 4 other siblings. As they got older and started driving my grandfather decided he didn't want them running around, getting into trouble, and would rather have them home with their friends.

So he went and bought up a bunch of old games and placed them in the basement. Shuffleboard, full size pool table (that was already over 100 years old when the bought it. He originally wanted it upstairs, but the floor couldn't support the weight), big ball bowler, shooting gallery, etc... You also have to remember that at this time, people having pinballs and such in their house was unheard of. It made the house very popular with the kids and their friends.

As they got older and started having kids of their own, the grandkids started to play with them, and as happens the games broke. One by one they were thrown away. (This was way before the Internet, and finding parts was not as easy as it is now). Eventually all that was left was the pool table, the shuffleboard, a Williams double play pitch and bat, and a Midway deluxe shooting gallery.

When I got older, I developed an interest in fixing things. My first success story was fixing an old Lionel train set that was also in the basement. It just exploded from there.

When I was a teenager I got a job at the local bowling alley and helped convince the owner to put more pins in. We started getting all the new games as they came out, and the operator was surprised by my enthusiasm on learning how to fix the games, to the point where he didn't mind me hanging around when he worked on them.

After college I was finally able to buy my first game, and it took off from there. I keep my funhouse at my grandmas where it gets the snot played out of it. It has become a 4 generation game, with my gran

Awesome history dsuperbee !!!!!

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Freak:

I always talked about getting a pin, but put kids and paying off house as priority.

So common !!

#58 7 years ago

Try to give us a bit of a story on your pinball journey and just just a quick synopsis . I think a lot of people really appreciate hearing the stories behind the name. Breath of fresh air from all the negative stuff.

#59 7 years ago

Sorry, meant "and not just a quick synopsis".

#80 7 years ago

Great stories all !!! Its funny how som many of out stories are soo similar.

#95 7 years ago
    Quoted from Snwbrdrmidget15:

This may be a lame story, so I apologize, but that's my story.

Not lame at all. All the stories are cool to hear and all unique.

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from Topher5000:

These days though, not many come up on kijiji & the fairly priced ones sell quick.

I hear ya on that ! Toronto area is a tough market !

#106 7 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

meet lots of different people from all walks of life with a common love of pinball.

Yeah, I think the people I have met through the hobby or pinball has been the coolest thing.

#107 7 years ago

Sorry, meant "of pinball ".

#110 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

You can edit posts.

I know, haven figured that out yet though. Lol

#113 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Click the little pencil icon in the lower right corner of your post.

Ahhh.. thank you !

#118 7 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Escape for a half hour or hour once in a while ... it will make you feel so much better. ALMOST as good as having a dog.

Yup...Almost !!

#119 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wamprat:

I took a wrong turn at Albuquerque years ago and somehow I landed here.........................................

Wow! Im jealous!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider superbee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-did-you-get-into-this-hobby?tu=superbee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.