2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by SUPERBEE
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 22 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6765 (resized).JPG
    the circle2 (resized).jpg
    Wall-o-Stern (resized).jpg
    P1180131 (resized).JPG
    P1180119 (resized).JPG
    03004d720fd85d60ce34884fde8a17fa6c3ca5dc (resized).jpg
    893eb06500b37e1aa24360ba3f6f9f2cada31525 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7817 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7523 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1058 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1054 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1056 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0827 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2546 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2521 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2507 (resized).JPG

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 2 years ago

I'm not in the hobby.

I was born into the coin op industry.

I'll never forgive my parents for not being rich.

LTG : )

#102 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'm not in the hobby.
    I was born into the coin op industry.
    I'll never forgive my parents for not being rich.
    LTG : )

Lloyd's mom was a coindoor

#103 2 years ago

Now that's funny!

#104 2 years ago

Following a trip to the Pinball Hall of Fame five years ago, I told my wife, "I think I want a pinball machine." I was honestly a bit surprised that she said, "okay" because we had twins on the way. I set out to find a machine and was lucky enough to find a family that was moving and needed to sell his Jurassic Park, plus two arcades: X-Men and Street Fighter EX. We rented a U-Hall and went to load them up. That was the start of the addiction.

#105 2 years ago

I hadn't seen a pinball machine until going to University in the early 90's
    I began looking after the games room which consisted of 1 pinball, 3 arcade cabs and a table football, by the end of the year it was up to 3 pinball machines.
    In the second year my day consisted of: meeting the engineer who would put credits on the machines while I play-tested them in turn. Then I would travel with him to each of the other 6 halls of residence doing the same thing, before going out to the other machines sited in pubs. My degree took somewhat of a back seat.
    Then they were forgotten about as they disappeared from public venues and I had a job to do.

It was just 6 years ago while on holiday I saw an Addams in an arcade and decided to play a single game, over 2hrs later with credits still left on the machine from replays, specials and high score awards my partner dragged me out.
    I searched the internet to see if there were any arcades near my home which had machines and came across the UKPinballLeague website. Attended my first meeting (which was the last of that season) and was made to feel very welcome.
    Turned up the following season and won the league. Was offered the loan of a machine while I was saving for one of my own and it has since grown from there. Up to 3 machines, purely due to space constraints, am the co-ordinator of 2 different leagues, run 3 national tournaments a year, as well as attending the majority of UK tournaments (have even managed to win a fair few trophies along the way).

Quite simply a great hobby, with the chance to put in as much as you want, and meet lots of different people from all walks of life with a common love of pinball.

#106 2 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

meet lots of different people from all walks of life with a common love of pinball.

Yeah, I think the people I have met through the hobby or pinball has been the coolest thing.

#107 2 years ago

Sorry, meant "of pinball ".

#108 2 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Sorry, meant "of pinball ".

You can edit posts.

#109 2 years ago

I wandered into a Coin-Op Auction in 1995 because it was next door to a computer show. I ended up buying a couple of Video Games on a subsequent auction. Eventually made friends and some of them had pins. I bought a DE Simpsons in 1996 and sold it a year later for a profit. I found a seller that was buying containers and selling the machines individually so lame "B" titles like Doctor Who were real cheap (I paid $400 for it mostly working). I say lame only by the perception of the time - nobody knew Doctor Who or cared. Some liked the game but hated the annoying robot. I bought TAF for $1600, CFTBL for $700, BSD for $750, etc. Over the years I've had a lot of pins and vids. I wish the prices were like back then but it's a great hobby!

#110 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

You can edit posts.

I know, haven figured that out yet though. Lol

#111 2 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I know, haven figured that out yet though. Lol

Click the little pencil icon in the lower right corner of your post.

#112 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Learn something new everyday. Thanks!

#113 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Ahhh.. thank you !

#114 2 years ago

I began my pinball journey very young. Some of my earliest memories are at a local pizza and salad bar place that had a small arcade area. I remember a little helicopter ride that one little quarter and you rose "high" above the games. In all actuality, it was probably about 4' in the air. But once up there, I could see the dazzling lights of an Addams family pinball machine. I remember watching people play it, and me attempting to play it. Most likely just draining ball after ball, quarter after quarter. I didn't care. It was magical. Growing up in the 90's, there weren't too many pins around. Anytime I saw one, I played. My mom and I always talked about how cool it would be to own one but, it never went past that. I vowed that someday, somehow, I would get one. After the age of 12, pinball was off my radar. Fast forward... Life, drugs, parties, girls.... Girlfriend, sobriety, baby, marriage, another baby, more life, another baby... Chuck E. Cheese.... yes, with 3 young kids you are bound to be drug against your will to a land of screaming kids and stupid games. Well to my surprise, in one corner was a pinball machine! Can't remember what it was.... One coin, one game. Addicted. What does a 26 year old dad do? Go to the app store on his phone and searches for pinball. After downloading several sorry excuses for pinball, I found Alien vs. pinball. It was fun, I played through it. Loved it but wanted more. I started looking at eBay and Craigslist. Weeks passed, I looked everyday. Finally, I sprung it on my wife. "You know, I've always loved pinball...." Her response? "Since when?" So I explain my small history and my recent obsession. She knew I played on my phone, but I guess it never seemed important. Well the next day I saw a project pin on CL, it was a 1968 Williams Cabaret for $200. Decent condition, minor issues. Let's do it. I got her on board and we picked it up. The seller saw how ecstatic I was and ended up giving it to me for $100! My oldest 2 kids and I played around the clock. It was a basic PF but fed my need and was tons of fun! The addiction turned into disease. As of now, I have the whole playfield disassembled as I restore it. It takes a lot longer than anticipated while running a business... Who would have known?!? So to fill the void I just got me a cheap $100 1978 Brunswick Alive. It gets a bad wrap but for my kids and I, it's enough.... for now. We have been playing it for about 4 days now and we're back to pinballing every night. Back to Craigslist.....

#115 2 years ago

My pinball addiction started when I was in elementary school 45 years ago or so. For something to do during the summer once every few weeks, a friend and I would ride our bikes a few miles to a bowling alley and bowl a few games. After that, we would each burn a roll of quarters into the pinball machines. Back then it was $25 per game and 5 balls per game. Kind of faded from that in high school. In college, while dating my wife, we found some arcades here and there for a cheap night out - she, by chance, was a pinball addict too during her teens. After marriage, with a kid on the way, we decided to go to a local pinball auction and buy one so we could play all we wanted. We bought a F14 (1 year old) for $900. Once our second child was on the way pinball was low priority, the F14 got ignored, no more arcades. A year and a half ago, kids now in college, we wanted to go out on date nights and have some fun on our own. One thing we found to do was ... Deja vu ... hey lets go to that arcade in town. They had maybe 40 pins at the time and my wife fell in love with WOZ. The arcade started selling off pins (as the prices were getting inflated), and we bought that WOZ. F14 got a facelift makeover as it looked pretty sad next to the WOZ. At that point I discovered Pinside ... more addiction. Found out JJP had TH and fell in love with that when played at shows, so ordered that. The addiction needed something while waiting for TH ... got a IM ... then some mods ... then a ACDC Prem just before Expo last month. Went to Expo ... getting way into this pinball underworld. More mods on the way, and more are desired. TH is now on it's way in-route.

Pinball is now a good part of my spare time - playing, looking things up, Pinside, helping others, etc.. This pinball underworld has good people in it. Expos are fun! Is this my mid-life crisis? Maybe. Is this a revived hobby interest from my younger years? Definitely, only taken to the extreme. Is this getting too expensive? Definitely. But loving every minute of it. Enjoy life people. If you are into pinball as much as my wife and I, embrace having some fun in this crazy stressed out world. Especially if your wife/husband/partner share your interest. Escape for a half hour or hour once in a while ... it will make you feel so much better. ALMOST as good as having a dog.

#116 2 years ago

I took a wrong turn at Albuquerque years ago and somehow I landed here.........................................

#117 2 years ago

The hobby got into me. As far back as I can remember, I loved pinball. Had a Dimensuon to play in my dorm and then Suite my first 2 years of college.

#118 2 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Escape for a half hour or hour once in a while ... it will make you feel so much better. ALMOST as good as having a dog.

Yup...Almost !!

#119 2 years ago
    Quoted from Wamprat:

I took a wrong turn at Albuquerque years ago and somehow I landed here.........................................

Wow! Im jealous!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 2,000.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 23.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.50
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 8,500.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 24.50
    $ 114.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 66.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 117.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside