• Latest reply 10 years ago by 35mm
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0418.jpg
IMG_0420 (2)-638.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider miguel351.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 10 years ago

I played a bunch of pinball back in the great arcade days. I got to play a TAF almost daily while I was in college(back when it was a new game). A couple years ago, I decided I wanted a TAF to add to my vid collection for a nice, more well rounded home arcade. Well, after looking for a loooooong time, I joined Pinside. That turned me on to PAGG and CAX. I had been out of video games and pinball for so long, I had forgotten about all the great games I used to play back in the day!! One game I forgot almost completely about was TZ. Played it at PAGG and it all came rushing back to me. So, I sat down and decided I wanted 3 pins for sure TAF, TZ, and FH. Those were my absolute favorite pins. My grail pins, if you will.

How I was going to get them was another story. I couldn't really afford the average going rate for a TZ(about $5000+ out here in CA for a nice player), but I also couldn't afford to get a TAF either(about $4000+, same condition). So, I figured I'd start with a FH since they were still on the cheap side(and kinda still are, but that's quickly changing), and put off TAF and TZ for later when I could save up more money. I started looking for ways to buy other pins, fix them up, then resell them to make a little profit to help fund my future Pat Lawlor amusement devices. I toyed with getting a WH2O that needed some help(at a pretty screaming deal, too), but ultimately passed on it since it wasn't a title I'd ever played and was not familiar with it at all.

After a while, during my usual CL perusals, I came across an ad for a TZ. It was local and cheap. I hadn't planned on buying a TZ first. This was directly against my "plan". But, since it was one of my three grail pins, and WELL below what they usually go for here in California. I called on it. Long story short(too late, I know), I ended up buying it the next day and I even talked him down an extra hundred dollars!

Moral of the story: Decide which pins you have to have. Consider playability, nostalgia, and price. Start saving money in a special account just for that kind of purchase. After deciding, have the pins you truly want in mind all the time, ready to buy at a moment's notice. The way collectors and flippers are these days with CL and apps that notify them the instant something shows up, it's a race to get there with the money first(if it's a good deal).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Fort Worth, TX
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider miguel351.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-did-you-decide-what-to-buy-first?tu=miguel351 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.