• Latest reply 10 years ago by 35mm
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0418.jpg
IMG_0420 (2)-638.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jojobear.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 10 years ago

I admittedly got my wife well-involved in getting my first pin. I only really have room for one, and it was basically going to be a piece of furniture seen by guests and family alike. So it couldn't be an old beater of a machine and just sit there being ugly. Whatever condition I bought it in, it was my obligation to to make it beautiful. The amount of work needed to be put into a machine was a pretty big factor considering how little free time I have these days.

In deciding my first pin, I first ran through ipdb filtering things based on gameplay features I liked. I liked pop bumper action. My wife loved multi-ball. Themes were pretty flexible, though we preferred something either with a classic license or some great 80's or 90's flair. Rating and price were always in the back of my mind as I looked online. I would look up youtube videos of gameplay not necessarily to see how a game plays, but how it sounds. The sound and music were actually a big issue with us. I didn't like games with cartoony sounds because I felt it a bit childish for my taste (Dr. Dude was sadly eliminated). My wife hates music that plays repeatedly, so Guns & Roses had to go.

Finally I had narrowed things down to a decent list of stuff I could afford at the time. Some of the games in the running were DE Star Wars, Last Action Hero, BSD, D&D, Black Knight 2000, and High Speed. I dragged her to the Texas Pinball Festival to do some "test driving". Good thing we did, because we scratched off a few more off out list. She's a star wars nerd, and DE star wars was scratched off for not having the classic music. I didn't particularly care for the playfield artwork of BSD. Black Knight 2000 I wished had more stuff to aim for. At the end of the night the games we liked best regardless of price were Williams Indiana Jones and Twilight Zone with TZ having a slight edge due to the magna flippers.

We sat down and talked, and she told me that she'd rather I get a good condition machine we both loved the first time even if I had to do some hardcore saving. A few months of very frugal living and I had the cash to plunk down for my TZ. Keeping her involved was a really great decision because she could provide objective feedback to my fever-clouded senses. Not only that, but she likes to play with me due to her her tastes in gameplay features directly influencing the choice in game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Minneapolis, MN
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jojobear.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-did-you-decide-what-to-buy-first?tu=jojobear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.