• Latest reply 10 years ago by 35mm
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0418.jpg
IMG_0420 (2)-638.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jags.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 10 years ago

I bought my first Pin back in in January 2009 as a birthday present to myself. It was a Williams 1972 "Super Star" EM game that was working about 75% and that I remembered playing back in my high school days. A mater of fact the last time I even played a pinball machine before this purchase was back in 1975 during high school!! So, unlike most of you, I had never even touched any sort of SS pin and my only pinball experience was the old EMs of the 70's.

I was living in Los Angeles at the time taking care of my fiancee's house while she was away. I was bored and stumbled across Pinmame which spurred my interest in purchasing a real pin. So I decided to find a cheap EM that I could fix up and figured it would be a fun project.

Started watching ebay and craigslist and found the Super Star for $150.00. Played it on the Pinmame and realized that I had played this pin for real back in my youth. It was simple but fun and I really liked the pop ups at the outlanes and between the flippers. I got it home and discovered that it must have been a home for a family of rodents for quite some time. Cleaned it all up, installed new rubbers and bulbs, and section by section got everything working!

And, like everyone else, I now was hooked!!! My second pin came 2 months later. A Bally Star Trek. It was the first time I ever played a SS pin!! And this was 2009!

Soon after this the pins went into a 4 year storage as I had to move back to Hawaii. Fast forward to May 2013. I got my pins shipped to me here in Hawaii. So good to be able to play them once again and of course the bug bites me again!! Put a WTB Broken Pinball ad on craigslist. Didn't expect much as Hawaii is the "Black Hole" of pinballs. But to my surprise a gentleman calls me that he has a Data East Back to the Future. I go to check it out and he ends up just giving it to me!! Needed new MPU and display boards and a good cleaning and shop job. So I now have the newest game I have ever played with this BTTF. Believe it or not I still have never played a DMD Pin or anything newer than this 1990 BTTF!!

Sorry for the long story but I just wanted to share this unusual purchasing strategy! I wish I had the opportunity to have the chance to actually play a game before I purchase it as most of you do. And I would really love to have a chance to play some of the great new pins I keep reading about here on Pinside. I do play them on Pinmame but, as you all know, it's just not the same as the real thing!

So if anyone wants to bring me a working pin here to Hawaii I will trade you for a free 2 weeks stay at my vacation property I own here. Go to www.halemalu.com to check it out. This is definitely another unusual pinball acquisition strategy that I hope will work out so that I can build my collection!

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trade-your-pin-for-2-weeks-free-stay-in-hawaii

Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts
Protection
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jags.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-did-you-decide-what-to-buy-first?tu=jags and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.