• Latest reply 10 years ago by 35mm
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0418.jpg
IMG_0420 (2)-638.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jackontherocks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from genex:

So far I've considered these things:
- do i like the machine overall (very general)
- is the theme something I would like to have in my house (or photography studio)
- re-playability factor - would this game get old/boring quickly if I had access to play it ALL THE TIME
- cost
- maintenance (i am not a handy guy, so this scares me somewhat)

I took 7 months to find the game that I decided on TFTC. While I could not find locally and had to go out of state and pay about $500 extra for shipping I still knew this was my first game I wanted. So in regards to your criteria here is my breakdown. I enjoy the theme and TV show and remember this game in the past when in high school. I think the hand drawn artwork is great. I love ramps in games and this game has two of the best. I set a limit on price for first game especially knowing I don't have room for a big collection at this point in time and also not a maintenance guru on these games especially so that helped as well. As far as fun I find TFTC a friendly game (meaning not big ball drains, etc. but of course you will have your bad days) and still very challenging. As far as the boring factor with having one game, everything has it moments but I still enjoy it till this day and always think about the second one which may be a harder choice then deciding the first one. Will you play it everyday in the beginning, yes. Will it sit at times, yes. But in the end you always have to play whenever you want and if ever decide to sell can probably break even in exchange for another one. I do recommend LEDs which seem to bring the game to life even with it being 20 years old. And no the crackling of the Cryptkeeper does not bug me. Its a pinball machine and suppose to make noise. I debated and tried to hold out for a new game that I would like being made today but in the end the 90's era is just what I enjoy the most and brings back the most memories.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from JoJoBear:

I admittedly got my wife well-involved in getting my first pin. I only really have room for one, and it was basically going to be a piece of furniture seen by guests and family alike. So it couldn't be an old beater of a machine and just sit there being ugly. Whatever condition I bought it in, it was my obligation to to make it beautiful. The amount of work needed to be put into a machine was a pretty big factor considering how little free time I have these days.
In deciding my first pin, I first ran through ipdb filtering things based on gameplay features I liked. I liked pop bumper action. My wife loved multi-ball. Themes were pretty flexible, though we preferred something either with a classic license or some great 80's or 90's flair. Rating and price were always in the back of my mind as I looked online. I would look up youtube videos of gameplay not necessarily to see how a game plays, but how it sounds. The sound and music were actually a big issue with us. I didn't like games with cartoony sounds because I felt it a bit childish for my taste (Dr. Dude was sadly eliminated). My wife hates music that plays repeatedly, so Guns & Roses had to go.
Finally I had narrowed things down to a decent list of stuff I could afford at the time. Some of the games in the running were DE Star Wars, Last Action Hero, BSD, D&D, Black Knight 2000, and High Speed. I dragged her to the Texas Pinball Festival to do some "test driving". Good thing we did, because we scratched off a few more off out list. She's a Star Wars nerd, and DE Star Wars was scratched off for not having the classic music. I didn't particularly care for the playfield artwork of BSD. Black Knight 2000 I wished had more stuff to aim for. At the end of the night the games we liked best regardless of price were Williams Indiana Jones and Twilight Zone with TZ having a slight edge due to the magna flippers.
We sat down and talked, and she told me that she'd rather I get a good condition machine we both loved the first time even if I had to do some hardcore saving. A few months of very frugal living and I had the cash to plunk down for my TZ. Keeping her involved was a really great decision because she could provide objective feedback to my fever-clouded senses. Not only that, but she likes to play with me due to her her tastes in gameplay features directly influencing the choice in game.

I debated about TZ being my my first and only pin as well. Think it will be my 2nd. Still like GNR and want as well maybe next. Oh well guess we shall see.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 169.00
$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 24.95
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jackontherocks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-did-you-decide-what-to-buy-first?tu=jackontherocks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.