3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by zahner
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lermods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 3 years ago

I literally finished installing a color dmd on my tftc just a few minutes ago, no issues. Only things I can think of are you installed the ribbon cables backwards. The power supply connection is keyed so it can only go in one way, but maybe you bent a pin installing it, mine was pretty tight. Recheck all your work, make sure nothing got pinched, etc.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

Update!! The game is once again operational. After replacing all three of the blown fuses and doing a couple of very fast power cycles to determine which coils were locked on it turns out that a total of four we’re locked on. Three of the pop bumpers and the drop target bank reset. All four of those are run by transistors on the CPU board and all four of the tip 102 transistors were shorted. Three of them were on the same connector and one of them was on another connector. None of the small pre-drive transistors were affected and nothing on the power driver board were affected. None of the coils were locked on long enough to burn up and all of the diode’s checked out OK so no need to worry about those parts.So, what did I do wrong? Well the color DMD rep Hit the nail on the head when I first installed the color DMD I had reversed the five volt connector which apparently sent shockwaves through the entire system and did a fair bit of damage but thankfully nothing that isn’t easily repaired with parts on hand. Big lesson learned on this one! Sometimes it’s the simplest things that can cause the biggest problems. I had no idea that reversing the power connector on the DMD control board could literally blowout so many things on the CPU board. I depleted my on hand supply of tip 102 transistors but all is well now in Star Wars land and the color DMD looks amazing! Thanks everybody for your help and Encouragement. I am super impressed with how the LED color DMD looks and I’ll plan to pick up a few more for my other games

Nice! reversing the connector means you sent power through the ground, that will blow things up.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
$ 9.90
Playfields
The Super Fasteners
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lermods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside