(Topic ID: 215159)

How detailled a help in troubleshooting EMs ?

By rolf_martin_062

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How detailled a help in troubleshooting EMs ?”

• just a hint in some words 1 vote
      11%
    • a hint and a snippet of schematics of the area - stuff not marked 0 votes
    • a hint and a snippet of schematics of the area - stuff marked 2 votes
      22%
    • hints and snippet, stuff marked and explanation "how it should work" 2 votes
      22%
    • hints and snippet, stuff marked and explanation "how it should work" - and theory of operation "related with" / "this here has influence on there if the specific QKQ is happening" 2 votes
      22%
    • first just a hint - I may later ask for detalled explanation 2 votes
      22%
    • other 0 votes

(9 votes)

#1 5 years ago

Hi pinsiders
    a thousand pinsiders and a thousand opinions. About me I read several times +/- "takes You by the hand and walks through the pin" --- other pinsider helping may just write "check the wiring on the XY-Relay - especially check its M&B-Switch".
    How detailled a help should be ? People starting an topic may want to write in post-1 what they want to get (?) (((less work to do for the helper when just a few words are wanted)))
    See my poll - I wonder about percentages on the poll-results. Greetings Rolf

#2 5 years ago

It depends on the help that is asked for. Someone may have a understanding but can't find the issue. Some just want a full blown explanation with schematics but haven't really looked at or tried to diagnose their machine.
    If I ask for help it means I am exhausted and have at least 3 or 4 hours invested and probably frustrated and need real solid help with the schematic line marked out so I can further hunt the issue down. But that is all just me and my opinion.
    -Mike

#3 5 years ago

I agree, it varies. I find that people who are trying and learning tend to get more help. They are involved in the process and really are looking for direction. Even when they don't know anything, they get help.

On the other hand, there are people that almost want helpers to lead them by the hand and pretty much do the work for them. Those people tend to languish and don't get much help.

This applies in life as well. If you try and learn, people are more willing to learn and be taught seem to get the better help. But people that demand to be told the solutions don't. The reason is they seem to think the person trying to help them should just figure it out for them. That's not helping, that's doing.

#4 5 years ago

I try to decide depending on their post; really a case by case situation.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from currieddog:

I try to decide depending on their post; really a case by case situation.

I agree.

Seen many responses from Pinsiders offering help. Some suggest a precise fix, some respond with, you need to look at this part.
    Some reply with, look up such and such pinball repair guide on line. If the one posting a question didn't know that there are guides, then that is great help. The owners of pinball machines on average have some mechanical skills, and yes many have no mechanical skills what so ever.

#6 5 years ago

Depends on who's asking for the help and who's giving the help, I suppose.

rolf_martin_062 has chimed in on a couple of my EM issues in the past. I've found the schematic snippets he posts, complete with colour-coded notations, really helped me track down issues and expand my EM knowledge. These visuals also help get Rolf's point across, with English not being his first language. Thanks, Rolf!

#7 5 years ago

rolf_martin_062,
    You are one of the most helpful EM guys on pinside. You go above and beyond what anyone should expect. The detailed explanations and great highlighted schematics must take so much of your time! You never give up and see a guy to the finish. A lot of people owe you a beer!

About your original question-
    I try to give the best help I can to others based on the extra time I have available at the moment. Some days a quick hint...
    Some days I am devoted to seeing someones problem through.

Thanks for all your help!

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from spiroagnew:

Depends on who's asking for the help and who's giving the help, I suppose.
    rolf_martin_062 has chimed in on a couple of my EM issues in the past. I've found the schematic snippets he posts, complete with colour-coded notations, really helped me track down issues and expand my EM knowledge. These visuals also help get Rolf's point across, with English not being his first language. Thanks, Rolf!

This. Rolf's posts are awesome. Any issues with language are lessened greatly by the images provided.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-detailled-a-help-in-troubleshooting-ems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.