1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mike_M
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

006.JPG

#1 1 year ago

Well, I have been a home collector for about 13 years and wonder if it's not time to call it a day

I had over 80 games during the years, bought over 25 NIB and if I'm honest I can conclude I almost never play any game; yet I daily check Pinside to see what is going on.

So do you play your games or do you prefer Pinside browsing?

#2 1 year ago

curious, why dont you play your games?

did you used to play, or was it always about the other aspects of the hobby for you (collecting, hunting, refurbishing, etc...)?

#3 1 year ago

I have several hobbies and I can relate. Sometimes you get bored/tired or just seem to lose interest. But I've also noticed when I take a break for a while, sometimes for a year or more something always seems to re-spark my interest. I think it's good to have multiple interests, the variety helps keeps things fresh.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

curious, why dont you play your games?
    did you used to play, or was it always about the other aspects of the hobby for you (collecting, hunting, refurbishing, etc...)?

Yeah; I used to play quite a lot (LOTR days) but since a couple of years just going downwards. I still like to order, enjoy getting the new box, unpack, boot up a first game and then....

#5 1 year ago

I play sometimes, but not much. I think I played one game last week, and I haven't even walked downstairs to the gameroom yet this week. I have space for one more pin, but I think I will probably just fill it with a vid instead. I just don't play enough to justify the cost. I don't think I will sell off the ones I have at this point, but I have seriously spent more time playing Zelda on the switch in the last 7 months than I have played the 100+ vids and 20+ pins that have passed through my doors in the last 10 years. I like having the gameroom, but I really don't spend enough time in there to make it worth it.

#6 1 year ago

I'm kind of like that with my arcade video games. I have a mix of dedicated/MAME/multiboard cabs that don't get played on a regular basis. I really only get motivation to play when friends come over. Otherwise, they get very little play. I wouldn't sell them though.

Similarly when I bought Pinball Arcade for the Xbox 360. I played the crap out of it when I first bought it and now I can't remember the last time I fired it up.

I only have two pins in my collection for now but they get a fair amount of play.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from pninja005:

Yeah; I used to play quite a lot (LOTR days) but since a couple of years just going downwards. I still like to order, enjoy getting the new box, unpack, boot up a first game and then....

so, what changed for you?

I ask because I at times dont play for a bit (mainly during busy summer months) but I always find playing pinball to be very cathartic and enjoyable.

I was getting a bit burnt out and then got into some older games and I enjoyed playing again. I found that I like the challenging shorter ball time games.

I also keep things fresh through doing multiple things in the hobby. I play, restore, collect, route, etc... When I get bored of one aspect I tackle another. It is the multiple dimensions of the hobby that keeps me engaged.

I also have found that meeting new pinball people also makes me enjoy playing more.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

I only have two pins in my collection for now but they get a fair amount of play.

Sometimes I think "less is more." I keep my collection small. Starting 8 years ago it's gone from 1 to 4 pins, then 3 which felt better, now back to 4, and maybe that's too many again. I'm thinking of going back to 3 or even 2 pins.

It doesn't make sense, but I play them more when I have less.

Plus with not so many I can keep them in the living space in the house, rather than a dedicated games room in the basement or wherever.

#9 1 year ago

Deep. I really enjoy playing the games I own... I just wish I had more free time to play more! Great way to blow off steam and I still find myself fascinated by the technologies and mechanical action.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from John-G:

Sometimes I think "less is more." I keep my collection small. Starting 8 years ago it's gone from 1 to 4 pins, then 3 which felt better, now back to 4, and maybe that's too many again. I'm thinking of going back to 3 or even 2 pins.
    It doesn't make sense, but I play them more when I have less.
    Plus with not so many I can keep them in the living space in the house, rather than a dedicated games room in the basement or wherever.

I also feel 3 is a perfect number to have. Not too overwhelming to chose a game and you feel like you can focus on one game for a while without the ADHD kicking in and making you switch. But seems like enough to have a little variety.

#11 1 year ago

Like the Beegee's song.....it's deep

#12 1 year ago

Deep Purple deep! lol

006.JPG

#13 1 year ago

I have made a pledge to play at least one game a day. I thought of this because Gary encourages his employees to try and play a game while at work. I have learned it is a beneficial way to reduce daily stress. Some days I am busy or tired but once I start a game, it usually turns into several. There is so much going on right now with the pinball scene it is hard to keep up with it all and balance your daily life at the same time.

#14 1 year ago

(Pin) Balls Deep!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 800.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 72.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 57.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 144.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 63.00
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside