Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by yzfguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I have only played a few games on Stern's POTC pinball. I am considering adding this to the collection long term. How deep is the ruleset? Is there stacking?

#2 10 years ago

Not terribly deep. Yes, there is stacking. Excellent game for a small-medium sized collection.

Tons of toys. Great music and call outs IMHO.

If Stern put this game out today, the would want 12k for it.

#3 10 years ago

not very deep but requires a ton of shots so it's very long.

#4 10 years ago

not too aweful deep, but takes awhile to complete all the requirements for wizard mode.
comparing 2000-2010 sterns, I would put it right behind TSPP and LOTR and on par with spiderman.

D

#5 10 years ago

It's got a decent amount of rules to the software. Lots of shots (not just the ship), and a fun theme. One of their better machines in the last 10 years.

#6 10 years ago

I still haven't reached Four Winds wizard mode...and I have heard it isn't easy to complete (also mentioned above). The code is complete

#7 10 years ago

There is stacking and tortuga is an integral part of building up good scores. I love the game, the skill shot is tough, the superskill shot is impossible, and the theme is a winner. Big/easy toy for the newbies to figure out (the ship) and plenty of depth for a better player. There are a lot of repeated shots, but it doesn't make it less fun to play. If you don't like stop and go games, this one has quite a bit of it, so keep that in mind.

#8 10 years ago

I'd love to know how accessible the wizard mode is for any given table.

Is there a website that shows % of wizard mode starts and % of wizard mode completions per game (rough avg, obviously lots of factors affect this from site to site). Here's my input at least on the subject, I saw a PotC on route being serviced and asked the guy to show me the audits. Out of about 9k plays it showed Four Winds was started 9 times, more of that kind of data would be really cool to have for other tables I think.

POTC isn't deep in the sense that there are only eight 'goals' to complete in order to reach wizard mode. It is a challenge though, it's not something you will get to often but the journey to get there is sooooo much fun it never gets old. I think it's a great earner on route for a reason, everyone that comes over loves to play it, it's always the first machine that non pinheads will play at our house. Luckily it has lots going for it so it just doesn't get old.

You do have to complete each mode to move on which is nice I think. Some tables just ask you to start each mode to progress. There are no hidden or obscure modes to discover, sometimes that seems shallow to people. Tables where you have to know the secret menu tend to be thought of as deep even if they aren't too challenging. Since POTC's modes are all nicely displayed on the compass front and center it can give the impression that it's easy.

The only thing that would make it better would be to add a stereo soundtrack from the movies to the machine

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

The only thing that would make it better would be to add a stereo soundtrack from the movies to the machine

You can do that with Pinball Browser now.

#10 10 years ago

I had this game for a month. Then it was gone. Hit the ship and repeat over and over and over. Yes, a few other shots, but not for the money people are asking for this game. Lot's of stop and go ball time.

#11 10 years ago

Reaching Gauntlet of the Pirates (the mode after completing 4 winds) is no easy task, but when you make it, it is pretty darn cool.

GotP is not readily accessible for most players. People do not talk about Pirate points very often (the numbers seen on the screen after scores) because it is rare.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from fishmanrob:

I had this game for a month. Then it was gone. Hit the ship and repeat over and over and over. Yes, a few other shots, but not for the money people are asking for this game. Lot's of stop and go ball time.

Same for me. Love the theme and the look of the machine but gameplay was too stop start for me and it got boring fairly quickly.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

You can do that with Pinball Browser now.

Well, the hardware isn't stereo so you really can't. Plus I think the sounds have to be sampled in a specific manner to still work properly in the ROM, and that's in mono.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Well, the hardware isn't stereo so you really can't. Plus I think the sounds have to be sampled in a specific manner to still work properly in the ROM, and that's in mono.

See the Pinball Browser thread if you aren't already familiar with it. My understanding would be that you can swap out the music. You have to manipulate the sound file with a free program such as Audacity (sp?) first. I haven't done it but someone posted they used Pinball Browser on POTC.

#16 10 years ago

Oh, never mind... Didn't even look at who posted that

#17 10 years ago

I think you've posted on that thread.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

In Audacity, step 1 is to open your music file then from the "Tracks" drop down menu, choose "Stereo track to mono".

#19 10 years ago

I've played it at the local fun center & have achieved all there is to know in a just an hour sitting. Well may be a few things here & there i didnt get to,but would never put one in my house.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

I've played it at the local fun center & have achieved all there is to know in a just an hour sitting. Well may be a few things here & there i didnt get to,but would never put one in my house.

If you were sitting, you were doin' it wrong

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-deep-is-potc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.