(Topic ID: 207313)

How could I frame a translite?

By mrossman5

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0443 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0442 (resized).jpg
    56264600161__1B9AE251-8D0D-4756-AAAA-161F5C95A244 (resized).JPG
    56264596962__9BB5B444-CECA-43C6-ACCF-ACAC37EEE033 (resized).JPG
    P3200005 (resized).jpg
    FilipWolak-MCNY-HipHop-4712 (resized).jpg
    FilipWolak-MCNY-HipHop-4938 (resized).jpg
    WipeOut-framed (resized).jpg
    Met-framed (resized).jpg
    GnR-framed (resized).jpg
    50C12DEB-D9F5-481C-95F7-E3DBA50B14E1 (resized).jpeg
    85BE3472-48AC-488C-AE84-AD5BA618C4B7 (resized).jpeg
    1!32 (resized).jpg
    1!3 (resized).jpg
    Display_Translite[1].pdf (PDF preview)
    1!3 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Hey guys, I’m thinking about getting a translite just for show for my game room. Could I just frame it? If so, what size frame would it be. I think they are all a little different. Thanks.

#2 6 years ago

Something like these? There are a couple different light boxes for wall mounting that people have done. Try searching the forums, you might find something cheap that works.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swap-box-introducing-a-new-game-roompinball-led-light-box-display

#3 6 years ago

I would love to have that but I’m just looking for the cheapest option

#4 6 years ago

Swap Box not being made anymore. dude gave up.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

Hey guys, I’m thinking about getting a translite just for show for my game room. Could I just frame it? If so, what size frame would it be. I think they are all a little different. Thanks.

If you want an off the shelf frame with a custom cut matte you can get a translite all framed and matted with mounting hardware for about $40 at Hobby Lobby. Custom frames with no matte run about $75 depending on the frame type you choose. Hobby Lobby frequently has 50% off sales on frames and they always have a 40% off one item coupon you can use right from their site. I've framed lots of translites and I have found them to the cheapest with still nice quality. If you want to go bottom barrel, you can get a $15 frame from IKEA and get a $15 custom matte for it done. That is like the Star Trek I did below, but I would kick in the extra $10 for the better frame and mounting hardware installed from Hobby Lobby.

1!2 (resized).jpg1!2 (resized).jpg
    3! (resized).jpg3! (resized).jpg

1!3 (resized).jpg1!3 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

If you want to build a frame and backlight it, I've done this a few times....looks great.

Display_Translite[1].pdfDisplay_Translite[1].pdf

#7 6 years ago

Hmm...this a four page document but only one page came through above. If interested in the entire procedure, shoot me a PM and I'll e mail it to you...

#9 6 years ago

I wish I knew who made these lightboxes, it's by far the best one I have ever seen. I won it from Stern in the WWE King of the Ring Tournament they had, but there aren't any markings on it to say who made it. It's like a draftboard, the light is solid behind it so there are no hot spots. It's very thin and the frame is metal. The four sides fold out on spring hinges so you can change out a translite without taking it off the wall. Really nice. I told Jody that Stern should brand and sell these frames, they would sell like hotcakes if they were priced right.

1!3 (resized).jpg1!3 (resized).jpg

1!32 (resized).jpg1!32 (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago

I have these (same system as above). Pinballuniverse sells them.

85BE3472-48AC-488C-AE84-AD5BA618C4B7 (resized).jpeg85BE3472-48AC-488C-AE84-AD5BA618C4B7 (resized).jpeg

50C12DEB-D9F5-481C-95F7-E3DBA50B14E1 (resized).jpeg50C12DEB-D9F5-481C-95F7-E3DBA50B14E1 (resized).jpeg

#12 6 years ago

If you have a "Michaels"art store,they have frames that are open each end so you can mount them in a window!!I have 2! One for a ST/Pre and one for a FT!!They show off very nice,and cheap 2!!!

#13 6 years ago

Thanks guys!

1 week later
    #14 6 years ago

Looks like this person is now selling the same lightbox I showed above. I love mine, not sure I love it $220 plus shipping, but it is really nice.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/midwestarcade/permalink/1782028955207828/?sale_post_id=1782028955207828

#15 6 years ago

For all 3 of these translites, I went with custom alum framing sized to fit, with translite between 2 panes of glass, so that I have option to light them from the back side. What I do is to wait till Michael's or Hobby Lobby has a big % off coupon offer going on to get the price down more reasonable.
    GnR-framed (resized).jpgGnR-framed (resized).jpg
    Met-framed (resized).jpgMet-framed (resized).jpg
    WipeOut-framed (resized).jpgWipeOut-framed (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago

I own my own art framing business and have made light boxes for various things. Attached are some images from a show at the Museum of New York. These boxes have a white tray lined with led strips inside, topped with a piece of white plexi. The artwork sits on top of that and then the frame slides over the whole thing. They aren't exactly cheap, but are really nice.

A custom frame with an open or closed back is pretty simple if you don't want a light source in there.

FilipWolak-MCNY-HipHop-4938 (resized).jpgFilipWolak-MCNY-HipHop-4938 (resized).jpg

FilipWolak-MCNY-HipHop-4712 (resized).jpgFilipWolak-MCNY-HipHop-4712 (resized).jpg

P3200005 (resized).jpgP3200005 (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from dookski:

I own my own art framing business and have made light boxes for various things. Attached are some images from a show at the Museum of New York. These boxes have a white tray lined with led strips inside, topped with a piece of white plexi. The artwork sits on top of that and then the frame slides over the whole thing. They aren't exactly cheap, but are really nice.
    A custom frame with an open or closed back is pretty simple if you don't want a light source in there.

What's "not exactly cheap" ? They look super nice!

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from dookski:

I own my own art framing business and have made light boxes for various things. These boxes have a white tray lined with led strips inside, topped with a piece of white plexi. The artwork sits on top of that and then the frame slides over the whole thing. They aren't exactly cheap, but are really nice.

Man this is exactly what I want, except I'd put in my own RGB strips. I'm sure the "not exactly cheap" will be the deal breaker though. Although I feel like trying to DIY by sourcing custom cut plexi, then lumber, then trying to build it withough be obnoxiously huge, then finishing off and painting, it might just be worth it to order something.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

What I do is to wait till Michael's or Hobby Lobby has a big % off coupon offer going on to get the price down more reasonable.

How much is reasonable?

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sethman:

What's "not exactly cheap" ? They look super nice!

These were $650 each in 2015. I could make them cheaper if someone wanted to install their own lights. It's all custom so it's a little different each time depending what the client wants.

#21 6 years ago

I haven't ordered yet but have been looking at www.spotlightdisplays.com. There is a category there for pinball translites and has a d.i.y. for making into a light box. Pricing seems reasonable and looks like they do custom.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from theGiven:

I haven't ordered yet but have been looking at http://www.spotlightdisplays.com. There is a category there for pinball translites and has a d.i.y. for making into a light box. Pricing seems reasonable and looks like they do custom.

Bob’s frames are top notch. I’ve got them for both translites and movie posters. I’ll be placing another order with him tomorrow.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from tktlwyr:

Bob’s frames are top notch. I’ve got them for both translites and movie posters. I’ll be placing another order with him tomorrow.

Got any pics to give us an idea? I checked the website and their product and service looks good.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from theGiven:

I haven't ordered yet but have been looking at http://www.spotlightdisplays.com. There is a category there for pinball translites and has a d.i.y. for making into a light box. Pricing seems reasonable and looks like they do custom.

I emailed them back in October and got no response. Maybe I slipped through the cracks.

#26 6 years ago

Looks really nice KloggMonkey

9 months later
    #27 5 years ago

I got the frame from spotlightdisplays.com and built my own light box. LEDs are color changing light tape from amazon. Built a light box, attached frame, hung on wall.

56264596962__9BB5B444-CECA-43C6-ACCF-ACAC37EEE033 (resized).JPG56264596962__9BB5B444-CECA-43C6-ACCF-ACAC37EEE033 (resized).JPGIMG_0442 (resized).jpgIMG_0442 (resized).jpgIMG_0443 (resized).jpgIMG_0443 (resized).jpg56264600161__1B9AE251-8D0D-4756-AAAA-161F5C95A244 (resized).JPG56264600161__1B9AE251-8D0D-4756-AAAA-161F5C95A244 (resized).JPG
    #28 5 years ago

I never heard back from spotlightdisplays.com. Hoe much was the frame? can you take a pic of the back? I can build the lightbox myself as you did.

#29 5 years ago

Can’t take a picture of the back of the frame as it is currently screwed to my light box and hanging on the wall. The metal frame pieces were about 4 inches wide and there were 2 mounting holes on each frame piece to enable hanging the frame in either landscape or portrait. I liked the spring closed frame design because it makes swapping same sized translites out a snap.
    The frame was $68 and change (including shipping). They didn’t give a quote until I gave them translite measurements and preference for frame width. Each frame is custom made.

10 months later
    #30 4 years ago

Anyone know how to take the Stern frames apart?

8 months later
    #31 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinWiz1969:

Anyone know how to take the Stern frames apart?

I know I'm 8 months late, but why take it apart? Trying to modify or install a new translite? My frame is similar, but the premium version with RGBW leds and a remote control to independently control up to 4 frames from 1 remote:

litframes.com/

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-could-i-frame-a-translite?hl=dookski and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.