(Topic ID: 65165)

How competitive are you as a person, and as a pinball player?

By tamoore

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Astropin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

86288.BS.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

While I like to get a high score here and there, when it comes to playing against someone, I really don't care if I win or lose, or even if I play particularly well... Although when It all comes together on that rare game, I'm very happy to have played so well.

I've never been real competitive as a person, and I think this lack of competitiveness makes me an objectively poorer player.

What about you? Do you think your sheer will to exceed or primal competitive nature makes you a better player?

#2 10 years ago

I am super competitive in most aspects of my life.....however I don't bring that attitude to pinball, it is much more of a relaxing experience for me. Of course I like to do well, but it doesn't impact my day when I do bad. Pinball is meant to be fun, and a chance to forget about the rest of the stressful things going on in life.

#3 10 years ago

I am not a very competitive person either I enjoy watching others play and it lets me watch the DMD , that is very fun to me especially when they have a multi ball going. I also have a hard time rooting against others I just try my best and if someone is better good for them.

Although it is very satisfying putting those initials in.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from 1967Firebird:

I am not a very competitive person either I enjoy watching others play and it lets me watch the DMD , that is very fun to me especially when they have a multi ball going. I also have a hard time rooting against others I just try my best and if someone is better good for them.
    Although it is very satisfying putting those initials in.

Agreed....always want to root for someone to do well, I tend to like playing more when someone is rooting for me to play well instead of hurry up and drain so I can win. When they take my initials off Grand Champion score...it motivates me to play the game more to attempt to re-gain it. Good thing I don't have any Pro's come over

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I think this lack of competitiveness makes me an objectively poorer player.

With the vast collecton you have, I would think you enjoy working on machines more than playing them anyways.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Captive_Ball:

With the vast collecton you have, I would think you enjoy working on machines more than playing them anyways.

Nope. I play more than I work on them. I put in a good 10 hours a weekend playing them, and they're almost never broken.

I've lost the anal retentive part of being a collector where I'll obsess about a burnt light needing replaced, or a playfield being waxed every 3 weeks... I fix stuff when it breaks, but I'd really rather never have the glass off if I can avoid it at all.

There's no doubt that with all the playing I've done, I'm better than I was a year ago... But I think I would be a lot better if I had more of a competitive spirit.

#7 10 years ago

Hat's off to you tamoore, with only 3 machines I seem to have problems pop up fairly often....and I probably around 3-5 hours a week on them combined.

#8 10 years ago

Nothing like winning but also being a good spot about it.

#9 10 years ago

Ill bite an ear off if need be.

WIT=whatever it takes, I have that tattoo'd on my unit.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Does Cliffy sell ear protectors?

#11 10 years ago

Does Cliffy sell ear protectors?

I do.

86288.BS.jpg86288.BS.jpg

#12 10 years ago

That’s more like a complete head protector....if that's what is needed to play competitively with you...might as well go full fledged football helmet...it's football season, shouldn't look to odd this time of year

#13 10 years ago

in general I am very competitive. as I have "matured" I have become less. however in pinball, I never root against anyone i am playing. beating someone as we play casually makes no difference to me. i play to beat the machine. the only thing I do consider is having every one of the high scores on my machines. I am getting there, as I do have all the top scores but still have a few to go in the runner up spots. interestingly, when i come home from a vacation (typically just a few days) I always put up some record scores. (my 1.4 billion on fish tales this week is testimony! lol)

#14 10 years ago

I am mostly easy going (except where my kids are concerned)

I like to repair/restore machines a bit more than playing. But now that Rustylizard and I have been getting together for a friendly game or 3 I find myself playing more at home to work on my skills.

But I still am like jmule123

Quoted from Captive_Ball:

....always want to root for someone to do well, I tend to like playing more when someone is rooting for me to play well instead of hurry up and drain so I can win. When they take my initials off Grand Champion score...it motivates me to play the game more to attempt to re-gain it.

--
    Jeremy Agema
    Central WI

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Speaking on behalf of your wife, please tell me you have "whatever it takes" because there was room and not WIT because there was no room....

I am semi-competitive, I am in a league this year for the first time and really focus during league play, but just play casually once the league is over for the night. When it comes to man candy though, who doesn't like a good round or two of dancing the Wobbly H?

#16 10 years ago

I take competition lightly, however I do like to put high scores on games. But If I see someone eyeballing the last glazed donut, I will try to snag it out from under him.

#17 10 years ago

I must break you.

#18 10 years ago

Go for it.

#20 10 years ago

I compete against myself. I just want to put up a decent score, beat my best, etc. I just joined a league for the first time a couple weeks ago, and honestly I don't know how overall scoring/placement even works. I really don't care where I finish, but I get a little pissed when I put up a lousy game. I have a hard time thinking of pinball as a competition with other people. Mostly just me versus machine. Maybe I'm too self-centered The bitch of it is the machine always wins in the end.

#21 10 years ago

I am so competitive that I use a few tools to help me win. These include:
    Eye poking
    Mist spray.
    Barbwire bat
    Steel chair
    Handcuffs
    Hair pulling
    Choking

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Eye poking
    Mist spray.
    Barbwire bat
    Steel chair
    Handcuffs
    Hair pulling
    Choking

You forgot head butting, super effective, thats why I recommend the scrum cap I pictured above.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

please tell me you have "whatever it takes" because there was room and not WIT because there was no room....

Its the whole phrase " WIT=whatever it takes"

I didnt want you to wonder all day and lose sleep tonight in the agony of unbeknownst.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Spaceman:

I compete against myself.

I did that three times last night! Oh, you said compete.

#25 10 years ago

Work = competitive

Family= priority

Pinball= fun

#26 10 years ago

Unfortunately I'm competitive... about everything. yes it shows. yes I try my best to contain it. I just hate losing.

#27 10 years ago

I'm in it for the fun, not to win. I see my competition as being against the machine, not the other players. I hope one of us can destroy the ring on LOTR or reach TABA. Everybody crowds around and cheers on the shooter.

#28 10 years ago

Not over a dounut, just responding to OP.

It is always fun, win or lose, but I do need to kill or be killed. Usually killed.

#29 10 years ago

i am cutthroat as a person when it comes to business. i work really hard to maintain my competitive edge or my business is shot. but when it comes to games i really just enjoy. i might get into a game if i am running up a high score or getting closer to achieving a goal but if i end up draining i will just laugh it off.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

i am cutthroat as a person when it comes to business. i work really hard to maintain my competitive edge or my business is shot.

I can see what you mean.

(nsfw)

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

You forgot head butting, super effective, thats why I recommend the scrum cap I pictured above.

I left that out because it is hard to play with a bad headache. I did leave out a shot to the groin that really seems to help taking out a tougher opponent.

#32 10 years ago

I'm very competitive. I'm a good sport, but my drive to be better or the best certainly makes me a better player

#33 10 years ago

I hate losing. Winning is so much better. But hey, it's only pinball.

#34 10 years ago

I always compete against my previous scores. I don't care if people with me are doing even better as long as I'm doing very well. This goes for any activity: bowling, pinball, or whatever. I'm fine if I bowl three games and average over 180, even if the buddy I'm there with averages 190. I get no enjoyment at all if I only bowl 160 but still beat my buddy because he only bowls 155.

#35 10 years ago

I love competing and doing it every chance I get.

But I'm not the guy who just has to win, even when playing casuals with kids, for example.

#36 10 years ago

Bump for the night crew, what say you freaks?

Im not opposed to lighting a small firecracker in an opponents shoe when money is on the line.

#37 10 years ago

I'm competitive but not in any crazy insane way. I'd say I'm generally a very good sport and my attitude if I get beat is to tell the other person "hey, nice game" (and I really do mean it).

But....at the same time I'm ready for another go around to try and get the win

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-competitive-are-you-as-a-person-and-as-a-pinball-player and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.