(Topic ID: 248091)

How come Stern doesnt try to make redemption games?

By JediPimp

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by russdx
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CP-MONOP-2 (resized).jpg
    addam (resized).jpg
    oz (resized).jpg
    Flint (resized).jpg
    malibu (resized).jpg
    ticket (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

So Stern Pinball is the biggest pinball company in the world. Yet, pinballs in general are hard to find at modern arcades (at least here in Australia). You will usually see one pinball if that, and the rest are classic arcade games or redemption-style games. It's usually in the pubs where you will see large collections of pins.

I also know in the US that the big arcade-chains like Dave and Buster's don't currently take Pinballs on because they are probably too expensive, hard to maintain and leave a big footprint.

I remember Bally/Williams used to create some Pinball-redemption games like Addams Family Values and so forth. With redemption games being the big hit with kids today (like it or not), I'm surprised that Stern hasn't tried to make stripped-down pinball-style redemption games on location.

This could be an alternative to their Home editions of games, whereas the redemption style-games would get the kids at the arcades, and then slightly-more featured versions made into Home editions to be sold at big-box stores. The kids would recognise the games from the arcades and would have more of a connection.

The simpler-style redemption games would be simple to make as just two flippers, a pop bumper or two and some gobble holes (and maybe stand-up targets) would be all that is needed as the intent is to get tickets or redemption points. They would also require minimal maintenance as there are much less things that can break.

I know JJP tried putting redemption ticket dispensers on some of their games, but those are too complex and deep for kids to play. I'm talking about games like Midway's Ticket Tac Toe (see picture).

What do you think? Do you think this would help get kids back into pinball in redemption arcades and maybe open the door for full-featured pinball machines to get back into places like Dave and Busters?

ticket (resized).jpg
    #2 1 year ago

Stern made Kooky Carnival.

It has one big flaw, though. There is a shaker motor that is supposed to vibrate the playfield periodically and remove any stray quarters laying in the playfield. However, that also vibrates all the parts and solder joints and frequently causes things to fall apart or break.

I think most operators ended up disconnecting the motor and just occasionally cleared the playfield manually instead.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from JediPimp:

So Stern Pinball is the biggest pinball company in the world. Yet, pinballs in general are hard to find at modern arcades (at least here in Australia). You will usually see one pinball if that, and the rest are classic arcade games or redemption-style games. It's usually in the pubs where you will see large collections of pins.
    I also know in the US that the big arcade-chains like Dave and Buster's don't currently take Pinballs on because they are probably too expensive, hard to maintain and leave a big footprint.
    I remember Bally/Williams used to create some Pinball-redemption games like Addams Family Values and so forth. With redemption games being the big hit with kids today (like it or not), I'm surprised that Stern hasn't tried to make stripped-down pinball-style redemption games on location.
    This could be an alternative to their Home editions of games, whereas the redemption style-games would get the kids at the arcades, and then slightly-more featured versions made into Home editions to be sold at big-box stores. The kids would recognise the games from the arcades and would have more of a connection.
    The simpler-style redemption games would be simple to make as just two flippers, a pop bumper or two and some gobble holes (and maybe stand-up targets) would be all that is needed as the intent is to get tickets or redemption points. They would also require minimal maintenance as there are much less things that can break.
    I know JJP tried putting redemption ticket dispensers on some of their games, but those are too complex and deep for kids to play. I'm talking about games like Midway's Ticket Tac Toe (see picture).
    What do you think? Do you think this would help get kids back into pinball in redemption arcades and maybe open the door for full-featured pinball machines to get back into places like Dave and Busters?[quoted image]

I've wondered that myself. Spike would seem to be a good platform to build a redemption game on.

#4 1 year ago

Redemption games are a cancer on an arcade. It will consume everything good until it destroys itself. I can tolerate skeeball, but that’s it. Too many great games get pulled cuz their coin drop is a fraction of kiddie one arm bandits.

#5 1 year ago

They have made some. As mentioned, Kooky Carnival was one, and Titanic and Monopoly are a couple others off the top of my head. Only they know why they aren’t currently doing any, but they have tried in the past....

#6 1 year ago

they have made several, Titanic, Monopoly, Kooky Carnival, and I think one more

#7 1 year ago

Thanks everyone, I had no idea Stern they made any!

I do wonder why they don't make any more.

As for redemption games being a cancer, yeah I'm not a big fan of them either, but they are popular and I would rather play a pin-style one than a one-press button game.

#8 1 year ago

I recently bought a monopoly just for the boardset

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Stern made Kooky Carnival.
    It has one big flaw, though. There is a shaker motor that is supposed to vibrate the playfield periodically and remove any stray quarters laying in the playfield. However, that also vibrates all the parts and solder joints and frequently causes things to fall apart or break.
    I think most operators ended up disconnecting the motor and just occasionally cleared the playfield manually instead.

Ah I totally forgot about Kooky Carnival.

How do you play it? Does it have flippers?

#10 1 year ago

It's a coin pushers I believe, I have a cut the cheese Sega that's similar and doesn't use flippers or coils, Im using it as a test rig currently

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from JediPimp:

Ah I totally forgot about Kooky Carnival.
    How do you play it? Does it have flippers?

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from dc2010:

It's a coin pushers I believe, I have a cut the cheese Sega that's similar and doesn't use flippers or coils, Im using it as a test rig currently

No, it’s not a coin pusher. It’s a coin roll-down game. You just try to aim the coin towards different areas that are worth different amounts of tickets.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Redemption games are a cancer on an arcade. It will consume everything good until it destroys itself. I can tolerate skeeball, but that’s it. Too many great games get pulled cuz their coin drop is a fraction of kiddie one arm bandits.

Precisely. So OP, don’t give Stern any ideas!

#14 1 year ago

stern pinball mustang has timed race mode as well as timed modes in redemption install / and also had redemption roms (was on play test with them)

There is also an redemption ver of tron? as well (may of only been on play test). SAM install menu latest roms just has the basic stuff.

ALL? SAM games seem to have at the very least have an redemption install menu.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

don’t give Stern any ideas!

This this this this this.

Burn this thread, quick.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from MattElder:

No, it’s not a coin pusher. It’s a coin roll-down game. You just try to aim the coin towards different areas that are worth different amounts of tickets.

Wrong wordage, I'm so sorry

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Precisely. So OP, don’t give Stern any ideas!

The p3 pirate one kind of sucks as an pinball and it's timed as well.

JJP has redemption mode in games with cut down rules and it's (paid DLC)

#18 1 year ago

Fuck a redemption game and gimme that brick of tickets to smack you upside up yer head with.
    Edit: forgot my smiley face.

#19 1 year ago

I forgot how lovely pinside is haha

Stern as a company needs to continue making profit in order to stay in business, they know that this current gold-age for Pinball is not for the long haul and they need to use these good market conditions to take some risks to make some inroads into other demographics.

I'm not saying redemption games is the only way to do it, I just highlighted that they were indeed popular (again, I don't care for them myself) and it might get them into big name arcade chains like Dave and Buster's to which they are not currently in. This would not affect their cornerstone pinball titles because that is their bread and butter and they make too much money on those.

But this is why they are still trying out projects like The Pin and Home Editions, because they know they have to get the younger crowds into pinball. If they don't they could be at risk of making budget games like Sharkey's Shootout again or worse, shutting down like they almost did a decade ago.

Yeesh, its such a Boomer thing to complain about things that don't actually affect you or aren't even marketed and manufactured with you in mind.

#20 1 year ago

Edit - I should read the opening post.

#21 1 year ago

We’re trying to bring a form of redemption to pinball with PINQUEST www.pinquest.com

I think the challenge for a place like Dave and Busters is the maintenance that comes along with pinball machines. Have to have an operator who gives a damn to make pinball on location successful.

#22 1 year ago

I couldn’t down vote this post fast enough. Why the hell would anyone that likes pinball want or even think about this out load.

#23 1 year ago

Its a way to get more people playing and enjoying the game. If people can win prizes or have attainable goals it makes it more fun for the more casual player. Every location has their wizard(s) that set GC that take the fun away from the casual player. Redemption isn't for everyone but it will help to get more people interested in pinball.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I couldn’t down vote this post fast enough. Why the hell would anyone that likes pinball want or even think about this out load.

"Why the hell would anyone that likes pinball want or even think about this out loud?"

There, fixed it for ya.

Also its not like Pinball was ever used for anything other than home-use entertainment...

Flint (resized).jpgaddam (resized).jpgmalibu (resized).jpgoz (resized).jpg
    #25 1 year ago

You Can get ticket dispensers at you new Pinball mashine.
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-6109-00

#26 1 year ago

Stern used Whitestar boards in some of those redemption games, like Titanic. They are great for harvesting when they come up for sale cheap. That is about the only redeeming quality about them.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from JediPimp:

Stern as a company needs to continue making profit in order to stay in business, they know that this current gold-age for Pinball is not for the long haul and they need to use these good market conditions to take some risks to make some inroads into other demographics.

yeah, pinball isn't for the "long haul"....
    wtf, maybe they should bring back bingo-style flipperless, I mean, take a risk ffs

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from DNO:

yeah, pinball isn't for the "long haul"....
    wtf, maybe they should bring back bingo-style flipperless, I mean, take a risk ffs

out side of the usa there are newer ones with payout hoppers
    http://www.seng-yang.com/product_cg226361.html

#29 1 year ago

Many years ago i was at the old Stern factory in Melrose park. Maybe 2006? They were building a redemption game at the time. No pinball machines going down the line at all!

#30 1 year ago

I think JJP has the patent for a redemption feature on a pinball machine, if I am not mistaken. I think I read that Jack G said that.

#31 1 year ago

I've got redemption mode enabled on my IMDN... At default settings it "pays" out over 1000 tickets for a 250M game. Probably why you don't see pinball machines with ticket dispensers often.

#32 1 year ago

Didn't most pinball machines in the 90's have an option for a ticket printer? I know Bally/Williams WPC and Gottlieb System 3 both had the wiring and code, not that I've seen one installed anywhere. I don't think Data East had an option, not sure about Sega.

-Hans

#33 1 year ago

Played a location MBr and AFMr yesterday and both had the arcade card swipe on them. Could easily pay tickets back to your card.

#34 1 year ago

I see that there is a JediPimp and a JediTurtle.
    THUNDERDOME.

#35 1 year ago

Can any and all other Jedis raise their hand?

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I see that there is a JediPimp and a JediTurtle.
    THUNDERDOME.

There can be only one! Haha

#37 1 year ago

In the Netherlands the pinball machines could give tickets but is not allowed by law. So the games were stopped giving tickets at a few arcade locations. This is also for arcade games not allowed to give tickets. So the Stern machines can give them or threw machines itself or threw the swipe cardreader.

#38 1 year ago

They made this thing. like a cyclone clone or somin.

CP-MONOP-2 (resized).jpg
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Boards
    PinSound
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    € 95.00
    Lighting - Led
    FlipperLED
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 234.99
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    $ 49.00
    $ 9.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    £ 45.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 229.99
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 8.95
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 38.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 279.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside