(Topic ID: 167103)

How come doing pro restoration can be profitable?

By Plumonium

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by paintpins
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MDO2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider High_End_Pins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I think HEP charges about $8K in labour, plus parts. So if he does 10 restores a year, he's making $80K gross.
    However, there's probably less than ten restorers doing it for a living in the the US. Hell, maybe less than five, and they all live in the middle of nowhere where it's a lot less expensive to live.

In terms of HEP none of this is correct but I like the idea of it
    Honestly *my* actual labor is about $6000 to $6500 unless there is something more involved and it includes materials like paint and clear sandpaper,etc so it is far less profitable than projected.
    There is also equipment, maintenance ,taxes,insurance,permits,power ,bookkeeping and more all to be taken out or paid for by the labor charges.
    It is not as profitable as it should be at all and getting worse as the cost of other things rise but I just like the freedom it affords me in my daily life.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Sorry, I was just quoting other threads. Glad you're willing to correct me!

No problem here. If I don't do it no one else will .

http://www.highendpins.com/pricing-services/

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from lb1:

Are you at all considering training employees and being able to create bandwidth in stages of the restoration that require a bit less expertise? Moving machines around, shooting clear... Or is this not worth the management and administrative overhead?

I have tried different things over the years but the best way I find is just to do it all myself because there is always a bottleneck when it comes to doing the playfield and more involved cabinet painting .
    Anyone can gut the games and many can put them back together but the other stuff takes much more time and talent so I typically end up overwhelmed with just that part if I try to do a production based set up.
    My oldest son is 18 and getting pretty handy in some aspects though sone hopefully there is some future there.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider High_End_Pins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-come-doing-pro-restoration-can-be-profitable?tu=High_End_Pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.