(Topic ID: 212897)

How come aftermarket parts are usually such bad quality?

By Mad_Dog_Coin_Op

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pinsanity
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180324_143140 (resized).jpg
20180322_175710 (resized).jpg
20180322_175803 (resized).jpg
20180322_175741 (resized).jpg
20180322_175647 (resized).jpg
20180322_175703 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I'm just getting a little aggravated these days. Some repro parts are great, some are better than OEM but most seem to be lacking in the quality department. I just purchased a replacement boney beast skull for my Scared Stiff from Marco. I'm installing the new realistic eyes mod that F-2NIRO did which is super cool. It does require a small bit of modification to the skull and I didn't want to mess with my perfect OEM one. Anyway, here are the photos. Lots of air bubbles and casting issues. If you look close you can even see a star washer imprint on the back of the repro one. I am fairly certain I could do a better copy. Feel free to share your repro let downs. It is good to document the turly bad ones so others don't fall pray to subpar parts.

20180322_175703 (resized).jpg20180322_175703 (resized).jpg

20180322_175647 (resized).jpg20180322_175647 (resized).jpg

20180322_175741 (resized).jpg20180322_175741 (resized).jpg

20180322_175803 (resized).jpg20180322_175803 (resized).jpg

20180322_175710 (resized).jpg20180322_175710 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Dang and the color isn't even close.

#4 6 years ago

Yes some of the repro parts these days have graduated to the “not better than nothing”category.

#5 6 years ago

The number 1 reason it is a remake being made by someone other then the original manufacture they usually are low run parts and costs a lot to do. A mold or jig has to be be made before part can be reproduced and if the part they are starting with is junk it gets ugly fast. So quality is not as high on the list as we would like. It's about the money. Will they cover their cost to make the part by selling enough?

Now if you didn't have the head at all that would be an improvement. When you replacing a part it came with from factory when it was made the 1st time that's a different story. Now i have have seen some repro parts bought some myself and the new one is way better then the old one. Mainly because the maker (is also a pinball fan) and has interest in doing it right.

#6 6 years ago

Hello
pity that it is out of stock
I had two in the hands, absolutely perfect and they were phosphorescent
ebay.com link: Bally Scared Stiff Pinball Machine Boney Beast Ramp Glow in the Dark Head Skull

#7 6 years ago

Well it took me about an hour to fix all the casting issues on the repro head and another hour to get the paint correct. The end result wasn't that bad.

20180324_143140 (resized).jpg20180324_143140 (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

PPS should stop allowing their sticker to be used on products that do not come up to standard

they will not allow people to infringe on their copy-write
so the same should apply to the quality of the products they endorse

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Well it took me about an hour to fix all the casting issues on the repro head and another hour to get the paint correct. The end result wasn't that bad.

Hey MD
That really came out sweet! What paint and technique did you use?
Wally

#10 6 years ago

your skull seem better than the original

#11 6 years ago

your skull seem better than the original

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

Hey MD
That really came out sweet! What paint and technique did you use?
Wally

Thanks - I kind of just make it up as I go. My base color was Freak Flex Ghost White. After that I dry bushed and a couple shades of browns and then hit it with a little wood stain to give it that aged look. After all that I put a little rubbing alcohol on a cloth and gently went over the high spots to bring back the lighter colors.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

PPS should stop allowing their sticker to be used on products that do not come up to standard
they will not allow people to infringe on their copy-write
so the same should apply to the quality of the products they endorse

It's not about standards. It's about the wallet.

#14 6 years ago

Thanks - I kind of just make it up as I go. My base color was Freak Flex Ghost White. After that I dry bushed and a couple shades of browns and then hit it with a little wood stain to give it that aged look. After all that I put a little rubbing alcohol on a cloth and gently went over the high spots to bring back the lighter colors.

Thanks, MD, for the details. I like the way it turned out. Much better than the original.
Wally

#15 6 years ago

honestly I don't think those things were significant. The inside of the mold??

You should have been here in the dark days... this is nirvana for parts.

#16 6 years ago

Ugh don't even get me started on this topic. I've taken so many pics of bad Bally/Williams repro parts and always intend to do something about it but ultimately what are you going to do? Only so many people making game specific parts and they all have to pay for the right to do so. Better than no parts at all I guess, been there/through that.

#17 6 years ago

You can't even count on PBR for quality parts. I'm putting new drop targets in a Gottlieb EM and the reproduction parts are made of a different, softer plastic and the injection molding isn't as sharp and square. Two of them have cracked already.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

It's not about standards. It's about the wallet.

Yeah, but whose wallet. The customers or the licensee?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 249.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 49.00
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

£ 38.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

£ 38.00
8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-come-aftermarket-parts-are-usually-such-bad-quality?hl=f-2niro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.