ft-spotlights.jpg
there_is_no_need_to_be_upset-4390[1].gif
312638.jpg
led.jpg
image-1.jpg
277887-i.jpg
312171-i.jpg
Clown-Puke-LEDs.jpg
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

Looking at your post count, it seems you waisted too much of it already.

Sure enough, looking at your game room... your tables look like crap.
Keeping barfing on them all you want.

Okay guys, lets just take a step back and breathe. We are talking LEDs in a pinball machine, its not exactly Lincoln-Douglas.

On another note, this thread gave me an idea. I vote for a Pinside Boxing charity event at next years Expo.

#52 9 years ago

Keep barfing on them all you want.

You seem to have anger issues. I hope you get help with that, and can have a more relaxed life moving forward.

#53 9 years ago

Yes, because you really know what my living room looks like when referencing pictures from three years ago, right? Idiot.

"Uploaded by Frax on 2012-06-29 23:33:18"

HERP DERP LULZ Not to mention that NEITHER of those games had *any* colored GI in them whatsoever on the playfield. STTNG cool and warm whites, Shuttle warm white.

#54 9 years ago

Keep barfing on them all you want.

I'm probably the most anti-LED person you'll ever meet in this hobby and even I thought these comments were uncalled for.

#55 9 years ago

I want to see a pinside grudge match happen. Kind of like the celeb deathmatch stuff. That would be great.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

You seem to have anger issues. I hope you get help with that, and can have a more relaxed life moving forward.

Nah, I just don't like you. My first posts in this thread have been positive, then people (like you) come in here insultingly gloating about how they know everything and that this thread is a waste of time (which I think is ironically an even bigger waste of time).

Quoted from Frax:

Yes, because you really know what my living room looks like when referencing pictures from three years ago, right? Idiot.
"Uploaded by Frax on 2012-06-29 23:33:18"
HERP DERP LULZ Not to mention that NEITHER of those games had *any* colored GI in them whatsoever on the playfield. STTNG cool and warm whites, Shuttle warm white.

And they still look like crap, I don't care about your backstory.

Post edited by HunchbackHodler: spelling

#57 9 years ago

Waste of time. A waist is a completely different thing. See? I can post positive things, too. You're welcome.

#58 9 years ago

I'm a francophone from Quebec.

Still appreciate your correction though. You've added to the thread! Next thing you know, I'll like you.

#59 9 years ago

You're the dink using FUK as your initials, so yeah, if you're going to talk sh-- then get your sh-- straight...or is that strait....um.....

Oh well, last post I'll ever see from the likes of you anyways.

#60 9 years ago

there_is_no_need_to_be_upset-4390[1].gifthere_is_no_need_to_be_upset-4390[1].gif

This thread is priceless.

#61 9 years ago

Okay, just for the sake of getting back on track for the OP. How do you feel about this statement from pinballbulbs.com concerning led spot lights?

"Don't forget to order the lights you need! We recommend purple 555 for most cases (as seen in the fish tales image). Purple seems to activate the greens, blues, reds very well without washing out the colors or looking overly purple. It makes the machine glow very nicely. Use white if you require more light but white will mimic having an overhead light on vs a gentle glow."

ft-spotlights.jpgft-spotlights.jpg

#62 9 years ago

pinballbulbs is just using marketing speak to get our money, the photo of FT shows a playfield that lost its individual colors, washed out by one strong hue.

I've seen examples on google images that went far with the colored GI that did a better job.

#63 9 years ago

I put cool white LED's behind just the lightning bolt on my TAF and left the rest incandesant and really liked the effect. It made the bolt stand out and made Mortician and Gomez look as if they were really out front of the mansion. In person it has an almost 3D effect. Took this pic with my iPhone so it loses a lot in the translation, (the lightning is not that quite as bright in person) but you get the idea.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#64 9 years ago

pinballbulbs is just using marketing speak to get our money, the photo of FT shows a playfield that lost its individual colors, washed out by one strong hue.

In the FT on the left I can actually see the playfield, and lots of different colors., I can't even see most of the playfield on the one on the right.

#65 9 years ago

The layman opinion is not what this thread is about.

So that must mean you are a professional pinball lighting expert eh?

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

In the FT on the left I can actually see the playfield, and lots of different colors., I can't even see most of the playfield on the one on the right.

thats because the lighting in the room is awful. What are the exposures? why is the room fully dark? Take a pic under representative playing conditions. Make sure that the image produced mimics the playing view. Take those pics independently, Shoot the right one first. expose it correctly. Then use the same settings for the second pic, everything will be blown out since the left one looks bright enough to divert air traffic. there is terrible spot lighting on the inlane dividers, they need to be toned way down in terms of brightness.
The translights are illuminated really unevenly. The fact the one looks like its under a UV light is not pleasant in my opinion. If I was buying it, there's no way I'd pay "extra" for the custom lighting.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Ya I agree, the one on the right is underlit.

Quoted from JosiahCox:

So that must mean you are a professional pinball lighting expert eh?

I'm an artist who works for the film industry. Montreal has a rich visual-fx industry which services Hollywood. My portfolio is better than 99% of the art coming out of Stern and JJP. I'm always in front of a computer, which is why I'm here. When my computer renders ambient occlusion, I read pinside and neogaf.

An artist of my caliber would never take a full time job at a pinball company, the employers (just like the customer it seems) has low artistic standards. It would be a thankless job.

#68 9 years ago

Somehow, I don't believe the arrogance is just a translational issue. I think it is real.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Somehow, I don't believe the arrogance is just a translational issue. I think it is real.

i spend two weeks in Quebec every summer. beautiful place, wonderful people.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

The fact the one looks like its under a UV light

I never understood their kit choices either. Love their bulbs but their kit GI choices.....not so much. I built my own kit.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Oh yes, I'll admit it, I'm extremely arrogant. My girlfriend complains about it all the freaking time. I'm always being reminded, but I won't change.

My fellow Quebecois are quite humble, I'm the anomaly.

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

thats because the lighting in the room is awful. What are the exposures? why is the room fully dark? Take a pic under representative playing conditions. Make sure that the image produced mimics the playing view. Take those pics independently, Shoot the right one first. expose it correctly. Then use the same settings for the second pic, everything will be blown out since the left one looks bright enough to divert air traffic. there is terrible spot lighting on the inlane dividers, they need to be toned way down in terms of brightness.
The translights are illuminated really unevenly. The fact the one looks like its under a UV light is not pleasant in my opinion. If I was buying it, there's no way I'd pay "extra" for the custom lighting.

So let's say we are talking about WOZ. That is a game that suffers from a somewhat dark playfield and in my opinion needs some spot lights to brighten things up. What would you put in the spots to brighten the playfield?

#73 9 years ago

Oh yes, I'll admit it, I'm extremely arrogant. My girlfriend complains about it all the freaking time. I'm always being reminded, but I won't change.
My fellow Quebecois are quite humble, I'm the anomaly.

Dude....for a guy with Steve Martin as his avatar you are wound WAY to tight.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

Take a pic under representative playing conditions. Make sure that the image produced mimics the playing view...there is terrible spot lighting on the inlane dividers, they need to be toned way down in terms of brightness.

Yes, absolutely. The pictures here show light under dividers and plastics because of the angle. From a players perspective (and in real life) it's probably not nearly as harsh as shown in the photo. The arrow at the right indicates what looks like a reflection to me. Is this what you are talking about as "terrible spot lighting on the inlane dividers"?

312828B.jpg312828B.jpg
#75 9 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Dude....for a guy with Steve Martin as his Avatar you are wound WAY to tight.

Behold my new avatar!!!

the_shining_1980-image-499769.jpgthe_shining_1980-image-499769.jpg
#76 9 years ago

Behold my new Avatar!!!

the_shining_1980-image-499769.jp... 62 KB

Now that's more like it!

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

So let's say we are talking about WOZ. That is a game that suffers from a somewhat dark playfield and in my opinion needs some spot lights to brighten things up. What would you put in the spots to brighten the playfield?

White, let the games rgb do it's thing.That way when the rgb is changing it can have the intended effect.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

White, let the games rgb do it's thing.That way when the rgb is changing it can have the intended effect.

But warm or cool? I'm guessing cool but a lot of people seem to think that it "washes out the color".

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Yes, absolutely. The pictures here show light under dividers and plastics because of the angle. From a players perspective (and in real life) it's probably not nearly as harsh as shown in the photo. The arrow at the right indicates what looks like a reflection to me. Is this what you are talking about as "terrible spot lighting on the inlane dividers"?

I'm not referring to the light under the inlanes. In referring to the 2 super bright light circles coming through the inlane plastics. I'm the area above the bare bulb glare that you are referring to.
As for the arrow, that looks like a camera/phone flash reflection, specular highlight.

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

But warm or cool? I'm guessing cool but a lot of people seem to think that it "washes out the color".

Don't know, would have to look and see which leaves the most natural color. My games are cool white. But not super brights. Warm or cool, super bright can wash out the color from just to much light.

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

Don't know, would have to look and see which leaves the most natural color. My games are cool white. But not super brights. Warm or cool, super bright can wash out the color from just to much light.

Agreed, its not easy to for me to figure out. A lot of you guys are much more artistically inclined than myself, so I rely on threads like this.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Agreed, its not easy to for me to figure out. A lot of you guys are much more artistically inclined than myself, so I rely on threads like this.

Just do what you like, just realize that some people won't like it and it will change the colors.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

I use Sunlight! The Kelvin color between white and Warm...
A change and a staple in all my new conversions....just the perfect color of white.

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from Fixie:

I put cool white LED's behind just the lightning bolt on my TAF and left the rest incandesant and really liked the effect. It made the bolt stand out and made Mortician and Gomez look as if they were really out front of the mansion. In person it has an almost 3D effect. Took this pic with my iPhone so it loses a lot in the translation, (the lightning is not that quite as bright in person) but you get the idea.

image.jpg 189 KB

well great...
now i have to go do that

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I use Sunlight! The Kelvin color between white and Warm...
A change and a staple in all my new conversions....just the perfect color of white.

That sounds like the answer to me!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-colored-lighting-changes-things/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.