ft-spotlights.jpg
there_is_no_need_to_be_upset-4390[1].gif
312638.jpg
led.jpg
image-1.jpg
277887-i.jpg
312171-i.jpg
Clown-Puke-LEDs.jpg
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

There are a lot of people who love colored GI lighting and claim it enhances the look of the playfield and that is makes the colors more vibrant. This post won't change their minds even though it will show that its not true. Many people have put a red blue color GI setup into pinbot. There are 2 pictures below that will show why his is not a good idea in terms of color rendition of the art as it was designed. One pic has PBL ablae single frosted cool white LEDs under the slingshot. The other is CT single blue frosted LEDs under the blue side slingshot. Both of these shots are not touched up or color corrected. There is a spider cube in the shots to allow for white balance and white/black level setting. These shots were taken with a Nikon D80 18-200 VRII lens set at 135mm. F/5.6, 1/5 second, ISO 800 to keep exposure times down.
The white LED's looks as expected. The white are white, blues are blue, the colors of the orbits are as they were laid down at the factory.
The blue on the other hand has drastic color shifts that dramatically change the colors that the game displays. This is just 2 single element colored LED's, the effect is more dramatic when more are added. The greys on the plastics have taken on a much darker appearance and are a purple-ish color. The flipper graphic has turned blue. The blue area are a completely different shade of blue. All of the white stars on the plastic have been blue shifted. The color of the blue orbit has changed to a different blue, the green orbit is a sick greyish. The shift in the red is noticeable when you look at the area illuminated by the blue and the area blocked by the cube. The spider cube itself is a vastly different color, both the white and grey reference. The white under the slingshots is a garish blue, except where it was blocked by the starpost and you can see the clean white sliver below it.

#2 9 years ago

Wow, you are really f---ing obsessed with this. You know that, right?

#3 9 years ago

i agree that white LEDs in GI will retain more of the designer's intention, but doesn't this ultimately boil down to individual preference? taste is subjective after all.

#4 9 years ago

Here are the white balanced versions of the same 2 shots using the diagonal 18% grey face of the spider cube as a reference. You can see even the cool white, since its not a natural light still does shift the color somewhat as compared to the reference grey.
I don't get how people can claim that putting in colored GI does not alter the colors and makes them more vibrant.
Without a doubt the glowing blue and red game will get people to notice it from across a room as it looks unusual but it does a disservice to the art of the game once you get up close.

#5 9 years ago

As I said this isn't going to change anyone's mind, its just the facts. A lot of people have not seen this up close. I just wanted to make objective images of the setups available.

#6 9 years ago

Thank you Calvin, I love seeing stuff like this. And I love how you detailed it, right down to the focal length and aperture. I would like to see more.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

I don't get how people can claim that putting in colored GI does not alter the colors and makes them more vibrant.

Who's claiming that? I mean, blue light making things blue isn't exactly a shocking conclusion.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Who's claiming that? I mean, blue light making things blue isn't exactly a shocking conclusion.

Sadly it's been said here before.

#9 9 years ago

Clown-Puke-LEDs.jpgClown-Puke-LEDs.jpg
#10 9 years ago

I notice better contrast on the playfield art with the white light. The other ones reduce the highlights of the art by quite a mile.

#11 9 years ago

I suppose he only uses white lights on his Christmas tree.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I suppose he only uses white lights on his Christmas tree.

Only the cool kids have all white lit Christmas trees.

#13 9 years ago

I think you should keep this blue lighting - it's fantastic!

Quoted from calvin12:

DSC_5525.JPG 167 KB

312171-i.jpg312171-i.jpg
#14 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I think you should keep this blue lighting - it's fantastic!

312171-i.jpg 46 KB

The blue light is fantastic. It's just everything else looks like crap in it, so it's only in the game long enough to take the pics.

#15 9 years ago

Colored lights would be best suited when used far away from the central art that is above the flippers. If the playfield art sucks, then whatever, go ahead and save it with new colors.

EDIT: with a game like PotC, the playfield art sucks and can use some warm colors (there and everywhere)

#16 9 years ago

What's it look like with a blue on top and a white on bottom? Gotta mix it up man.. Blending is where it's at. White or warms on artwork with whites or warm colors etc. that's how you get that artwork to pop

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

What's it look like with a blue on top and a white on bottom? Gotta mix it up man.. Blending is where it's at. White or warms on artwork with whites or warm colors etc. that's how you get that artwork to pop

It does not matter where the colors placed are they will have the same effect on any plastics or playfield exposed to it. Using cool and warm white is nothing like narrow spectrum colored LEDs, which is the point of the post.

#18 9 years ago

whoops..posted in wrong thread...

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

It does not matter where the colors placed are they will have the same effect on any plastics or playfield exposed to it. Using cool and warm white is nothing like narrow spectrum colored LEDs, which is the point of the post.

That's not strictly true actually. Which is why for instance the 3 color GI on my METLE works pretty well. When all three are lit the color spectrum is pretty balanced by the cool white.

#20 9 years ago

Manufacturer designed RGB lighting is completely different than single color LEDs. This is specifically referencing narrow band illumination.

#21 9 years ago

Interesting, and well done.

I am not sure who feels that colored bulbs dont affect the color of artwork on a playfield....certainly
you clearly show that, and my thanks for taking the time to share. I think what it does, is make the game more interesting to some people.
I know I change colors, (and I use them sparingly) in my GI, to mix it up and renew my interest.
My analogy. I am with my wife 38 years....She will change the color of her lingerie, even though I know
its the same game I am playing.....Sure, it changes the tone of her white skin...but I am just fine with that!

#22 9 years ago

i love diodes that emit light. especially colored light

#23 9 years ago

I only use white in my GI because I like the art on the pf to look as the artist intended. On the Space Station pf the GI socket holes are marked with a G for green and W for white so the game will look a certain way for normal and Green Mode. Cool idea. I know some people color different areas of their games and if that's what they like that's fine by me.

#24 9 years ago

It's fine with me to, I just get sick of people saying it's making the colors more vibrant. Or in pinbots case "really enhances the red and blue" . This was just to show objectively that a narrow spectrum does not enhance the color, it distorts it. Your machine, do as you please. But when you go to sell it and try to sell the "enhancement" don't be surprised when a lot of people think it looks bad and don't want to pay extra for someone else's taste

#25 9 years ago

In other news: Water makes things more wet than dry....

#26 9 years ago

Something i dislike a lot on modded games is coloured GI for the exact reasons.
It's even worse when used behind translites...

I do like single warm/cold white coloured LED gi, makes the game less 'dull'/'old' looking compared to the newer ones.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

It's fine with me to, I just get sick of people saying it's making the colors more vibrant. Or in pinbots case "really enhances the red and blue" . This was just to show objectively that a narrow spectrum does not enhance the color, it distorts it. Your machine, do as you please. But when you go to sell it and try to sell the "enhancement" don't be surprised when a lot of people think it looks bad and don't want to pay extra for someone else's taste

I think the problem you have is just with the words that people are using to describe. In the Pinbot's example, the red and blue lamps draw attention to the fact that the artist intended there to be a red and a blue robot arm depicted in the playfield, the intention is not to actually manipulate the artwork color that is there with colored lighting.

It's also really simple for me to see the art without any color distortion at all, I simply turn off the game.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

It's even worse when used behind translites...

Nothing is worse than when someone tries to "enhance" a translight by putting colored bulbs behind it.

"Hey, there is a blue gem on her belt, lets put a blue LED there and look at a giant blue blob!".

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Nothing is worse than when someone tries to "enhance" a translight by putting colored bulbs behind it.

I disagree. I think it looks stunning.

277887-i.jpg277887-i.jpg

#30 9 years ago

It's too saturated, all the subtleness of the original image is lost, like the work of an amateur cinematographer who keeps boosting the levels in his CC application.

Those scuba divers in both corners are lost in a blob of blue.

Maybe if they made LEDs that are less saturated, such a process can work.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

It's too saturated, all the subtleness of the original image is lost, like the work of an amateur cinematographer who keeps boosting the levels in his CC application.

I don't have art critics coming over to my house to play pinball. I have friends and family, and you know what?..they just absolutely love it. And so do I.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I don't have art critics coming over to my house to play pinball. I have friends and family, and you know what?..they just absolutely love it. And so do I.

The layman opinion is not what this thread is about. We're quite aware of their affinity for bolder, louder, pow pow pow!!! And these people buy pinball machines and think that they are artists all of a sudden, then they try to sell their badly modded table for extra money thinking they made me a favor.

#33 9 years ago

Like the opening post stated...

Quoted from calvin12:

There are a lot of people who love colored GI lighting and claim it enhances the look of the playfield and that is makes the colors more vibrant. This post won't change their minds

#34 9 years ago

So I guess that answer is........
It depends.
On the person, game, LED, original art, room lighting, intent, etc., etc............

#35 9 years ago

It's always complicated.

Whether you like the effect or not, the loss of the scuba divers in the above example is an objective truth.

The following shows how clearly visible those scuba divers actually are:

image-1.jpgimage-1.jpg
#36 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

It's also really simple for me to see the art without any color distortion at all, I simply turn off the game.

Its so much more fun to play that way too isn't it?

#37 9 years ago

I don't quite see the point of this thread.

Ok, so colored GI LEDs ruin the artwork on playfields and translites. I agree 100%.

Some people obviously still like and use them even though they are well aware of the facts.

It's their games, so why care?

#38 9 years ago

I guess I just don't care enough about the original artists intentions. I'd rather have a colourful playfield then a 100% acurate original art package.

I like to mod my games. If I add a toy to the playfield would you get upset because it doesn't match 100% continuity with the rest of the art package?

#39 9 years ago

I like what I like

led.jpgled.jpg
#40 9 years ago

This thread really brings the notion of being anal to a whole new level.

#41 9 years ago

my personal preference is more in line with what calvin12 is saying than against it, but i hate the way it's being presented ("these are the FACTS and the misguided fools who disagree will NEVER change their minds!").

i encourage people to get creative and do what they think looks best. my tastes have evolved over time, who's to say they won't continue to do so. it's your game, do what you want.

#42 9 years ago

I've decided that I like cool white LED's in the GI of my machines for the most part. Some color here or there I've decided is OK, but it's the exception, not the rule.

Translites, I'll use color very sparingly, normally just to reduce brightness these days.

One thing I do not do, however, is worry about what someone else likes to do to their pinball machines. Life is too short, right?

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

it's your game, do what you want.

kinda what it all boils down to. white or color matching LEDs under inserts, frosted or 2 LED clear dome for GI is all I use. frosted 555's in backbox so it's not "spotlighty". VERY seldom will use 1 or 2 bulbs to enhance a specific feature of the artwork on a translite.
I think this is called "tastefully done" and use that term a lot.

the "before LEDs and after LEDs" photo isn't accurate.
I love LEDs - WAY more than yellow incandescent - but the photo of the hottie should be on the left and a transvestite with caked on makeup with overblown bowtox features on the right.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Vdj3Sfs65nI/maxresdefault.jpg

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I've decided that I like cool white LED's in the GI of my machines for the most part. Some color here or there I've decided is OK, but it's the exception, not the rule.
Translites, I'll use color very sparingly, normally just to reduce brightness these days.
One thing I do not do, however, is worry about what someone else likes to do to their pinball machines. Life is too short, right?

I disagree todd. you should *always* agree with what I said, regardless of what your thoughts are

while I agree that the GI should always be white. warm vs. cool depends on the machine and placement of the bulbs. the only use of color that I found to be pleasing is intensifying inserts (such as blue and green) with color matching LED bulbs. using color with inserts in the yellow/orange/red spectrum end just appears to change the color of the insert.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

my personal preference is more in line with what calvin12 is saying than against it, but i hate the way it's being presented ("these are the FACTS and the misguided fools who disagree will NEVER change their minds!").
i encourage people to get creative and do what they think looks best. my tastes have evolved over time, who's to say they won't continue to do so. it's your game, do what you want.

I stated at the start whit was not going to change anyone's mind, it's not intended to. It was just a clear set of photos showing the differences in a common color GI change example. People who do this claims it makes the colors more vibrant and enhanced. These are just shots to show that enhancement.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

The layman opinion is not what this thread is about. We're quite aware of their affinity for bolder, louder, pow pow pow!!! And these people buy pinball machines and think that they are artists all of a sudden, then they try to sell their badly modded table for extra money thinking they made me a favor.

LMFAO..

You guys are so epically clueless it's amazing.

You really think that anyone give's a rats fart about your "artistic skill"....AT SELECTING GI BULBS? ...give me a break. Next thing I know I'm gonna see a game for sale from you loons with the "Illuminated by a master artiste`" tagline. Clearly not, or else this discussion would not be happening over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Which one of you two turds was at Texas Pinball Festival last year putting the Thank You for Not Using LEDS signs on games? At least Calvin did go out of the way to make the differentiation between narrow spectrum and cool/warm white LEDs. That's at least a step further than most zealots in this argument go to.

#47 9 years ago

312638.jpg312638.jpg

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

The white LED's looks as expected. The white are white, blues are blue, the colors of the orbits are as they were laid down at the factory.
The blue on the other hand has drastic color shifts that dramatically change the colors that the game displays. This is just 2 single element colored LED's, the effect is more dramatic when more are added.

Thanks for the comparison.

I have yet to LEDify a pin, but plan to at some point, so a comparison like this is helpful to me for deciding what I want to do with colored vs white LEDs.

#49 9 years ago

I prefer to use warm/cool white in my GI as well, and usually only use colors in inserts. But...to each their own. If you like it, do it. I don't care what others think about what I do with MY games.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Looking at your post count, it seems you waisted too much of it already.

Quoted from Frax:

LMFAO..
You guys are so epically clueless it's amazing.
You really think that anyone give's a rats fart about your "artistic skill"....AT SELECTING GI BULBS? ...give me a break. Next thing I know I'm gonna see a game for sale from you loons with the "Illuminated by a master artiste`" tagline. Clearly not, or else this discussion would not be happening over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Sure enough, looking at your game room... your tables look like crap.

Keep barfing on them all you want.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-colored-lighting-changes-things and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.