• Latest reply 3 years ago by swinks
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2021-03-14-10-11-59 (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

I create alot static mods with via general lighting and predominately in Bally / Williams games.

I have a potential mod for a ghostbuster but potentially other stern games that runs on 5-12vdc and will power it via Pinball Life's power supply board for mods. But I did not want all of the mod lit up for the whole time rather triggered when a light feature is lit up.

Can anyone help me with some advice on how to trigger a mod when a game feature (small led pcb) is triggered?

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I create alot static mods with via general lighting and predominately in Bally / Williams games.
I have a potential mod for a ghostbuster but potentially other stern games that runs on 5-12vdc and will power it via Pinball Life's power supply board for mods. But I did not want all of the mod lit up for the whole time rather triggered when a light feature is lit up.
Can anyone help me with some advice on how to trigger a mod when a game feature (small led pcb) is triggered?

I asked this question a while back and did not get encouraging responses. It seems you’d need some way to intercept and read the signal coming into the light board to determine which insert Is being lit.

#3 3 years ago

Something along the lines of this relay. Maybe this will at least get the creative minds going.
-Mike

Screenshot_2021-03-14-10-11-59 (resized).pngScreenshot_2021-03-14-10-11-59 (resized).png
#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I asked this question a while back and did not get encouraging responses. It seems you’d need some way to intercept and read the signal coming into the light board to determine which insert Is being lit.

yes, I did a hunt myself and was thinking more about it last night. For my mod which is more for myself but with open up for others it I want it to trigger off slimer on GB which appears to have a square 4 pin plug so this is a good thing as can tap into it but nervous about putting any power back down the line

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Something along the lines of this relay. Maybe this will at least get the creative minds going.
-Mike
[quoted image]

thanks for that Mike, will have to research that one or something like that, cheers

#6 3 years ago

Check out the Game On Interactive power supply from Rock914
https://pinside.com/pinball/biz/directory/1196-rock-custom-pinball
This might do what you want.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Insane:Check out the Game On Interactive power supply from rock914
https://pinside.com/pinball/biz/directory/1196-rock-custom-pinball
This might do what you want.

This is a great idea! I forgot about this thing - it does work well as long as you very tightly bind the sensor to the insert area. I'm not sure where the light for Slimer comes from, but it works perfectly well for using an insert LED as a "trigger". You extend the tiny sensor (which is on a very long cable) and face it against the LED or other light it is supposed to detect. When the LED turns on, the relay turns on power to whatever is plugged into it. The sensor has a very small area of detection so it doesn't get false triggers. Works great.

#8 3 years ago

If you’re working on a pre-Spike stern game (I.e. ones that have individual bulb sockets vs the LED pcb’s), the “Matrix” bulbs from Comet are extremely useful. They have bulbs that include a connection to run to an additional bulb, and this has made it very easy for me to make some mods that are linked to an insert light.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from BradLinden:

If you’re working on a pre-Spike stern game (I.e. ones that have individual bulb sockets vs the LED pcb’s), the “Matrix” bulbs from Comet are extremely useful. They have bulbs that include a connection to run to an additional bulb, and this has made it very easy for me to make some mods that are linked to an insert light.

yeah I am use accustomed to using the comet matrix adaptors on the older games but was curious on the Stern's spike versions

#10 3 years ago

thanks Insane and BradLinden I will look into this, thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 49.95
15,699 (OBO)
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
$ 103.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-can-you-trigger-a-lighted-mod-in-a-stern-game-from-a-lit-feature and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.