(Topic ID: 273684)

How can so many people NOT give a crap about pinball?!!!

By Tuna_Delight

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Don_C
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

oh nein (resized).png
    F19A658A-3EC1-48EC-A488-B51ACA03C8CA (resized).png
    2DACA691-8F1C-44E6-876D-EDD520C245AA.gif
    Aye yi yi.gif
    giphy.gif.cf (7).gif
    Knit pinballs (resized).jpg
    tenor (resized).png
    20200724_101602 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tuna_delight.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

My wife, my kids, most of my buddies, nearly all of my co-workers, practically everyone I meet, and seemingly 99.999% of the world at large.

Are we wired differently???

It's beyond me ...

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

Its almost like different people like different things...

Different schmifferent! WHAT'S WRONG with these people?!!!

It's almost like they have no means of understanding pinball is not only fun ... it's cool too!

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

My GF / wife didn’t really like it till I went thru what some of the rules were on our machines. Now she’s kinda getting into it. Plus my ex Gf still has some of the high scores so there is also that . Girls are pretty competitive too

Yeah ... yet pinball has and remains a predominantly male hobby. As Kaneda used to say - good luck picking up any woman in a bar after telling her you're into pinball.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Took me getting both SS (she liked it on location, never played at home) and EHOH (didn’t tell her, just appeared one day, she LOVED it). Wish it wasn’t a Stern but it is one of the best games in years. Blows SS out of the water.

Funny thing is ... I owned a great SS, but no one else including my biggest pinball loving buddy, loved playing it besides me. I consequently sold it.

I miss it and am tempted to go for a EHOH!

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

For some reason, pinball has a dorky/negative stigma attached to it by the outside world.

Pinheads (myself included) can be pretty geeky about the subject. This is especially apparent in tech related discussions on various podcasts and Youtube videos as well as on Pinside.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Somewhere there is a guy who likes to clip a car battery to his ball sack in the garage while the family is sleeping ...
    Different strokes dude.

lol

Perhaps literally in this case.

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

Because it's as expensive as hell. A new stern pinball machine costs more than mosts people's vehicles are worth and more then they have in their checking accounts.

I think cost is definitely a factor in keeping some from getting into the hobby, but my original post was more geared toward why most people are not drawn to pinball like we are.

Speaking for myself, the visual appeal (colors, lights, artwork etc.) alone is alluring. For many who enter my gameroom though, I might as well have a bunch of cardboard boxes stacked in it rather than a lineup of games.

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

It's not that they don't like it. It's just not what they are into.
    Do you encourage their stuff ?
    LTG : )

Nah. Don't give a crap.

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballOsp:

"how can so many people not care about knitting???? it's so awesome!"

Word.

Then again, there are some that dig both (that's a "knitted pinball" in the pic):

Knit pinballs (resized).jpgKnit pinballs (resized).jpg

#80 3 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

My mother always comes over and says "I don't know why you need so many, they're all the same.

She's far from alone with having that view unfortunately.

Aye yi yi.gifAye yi yi.gif

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

All my friends along with my daughter, son and granddaughter love pinball.
    My daughter is the one that wanted a MB to go next to TAF.

You're fortunate.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tuna_delight.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-can-so-many-people-not-give-a-crap-about-pinball?tu=tuna_delight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.