(Topic ID: 273684)

How can so many people NOT give a crap about pinball?!!!

By Tuna_Delight

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Don_C
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

oh nein (resized).png
    F19A658A-3EC1-48EC-A488-B51ACA03C8CA (resized).png
    2DACA691-8F1C-44E6-876D-EDD520C245AA.gif
    Aye yi yi.gif
    giphy.gif.cf (7).gif
    Knit pinballs (resized).jpg
    tenor (resized).png
    20200724_101602 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 3 years ago

My wife, my kids, most of my buddies, nearly all of my co-workers, practically everyone I meet, and seemingly 99.999% of the world at large.

Are we wired differently???

It's beyond me ...

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

My wife, my kids, most of my buddies, nearly all of my co-workers, practically everyone I meet, and seemingly 99.999% of the world at large.
    It's beyond me ...

Lol, I know!

#3 3 years ago

Its almost like different people like different things...

#4 3 years ago

No where to play. No reasonably priced pins for sale. Fell out of the mainstream.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

Its almost like different people like different things...

Different schmifferent! WHAT'S WRONG with these people?!!!

It's almost like they have no means of understanding pinball is not only fun ... it's cool too!

#6 3 years ago

It's almost like they have no means of understanding pinball is not only fun ... it's cool too!

My GF / wife didn’t really like it till I went thru what some of the rules were on our machines. Now she’s kinda getting into it. Plus my ex Gf still has some of the high scores so there is also that . Girls are pretty competitive too

#7 3 years ago

Same here. I think me and a friend own 98% of the pins in our town. Soooooo glad I have them to keep my sanity, especially now Wa is basically getting shut down again

#8 3 years ago

My whole family plays but I noticed most people think it’s a weird obsession. Of course, it’s our job to introduce them to it and hopefully spread the pinball obsession.

#9 3 years ago

Ya! if they all only knew how cool all us pinheads were!

#10 3 years ago

Look we're a small minority. I tell people that I restore pinball pinball machines from the 70-80's. "Oh that's cool"..... Then I'm a weirdo. Fine with me.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

My GF / wife didn’t really like it till I went thru what some of the rules were on our machines. Now she’s kinda getting into it. Plus my ex Gf still has some of the high scores so there is also that . Girls are pretty competitive too

Yeah ... yet pinball has and remains a predominantly male hobby. As Kaneda used to say - good luck picking up any woman in a bar after telling her you're into pinball.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

Took me getting both SS (she liked it on location, never played at home) and EHOH (didn’t tell her, just appeared one day, she LOVED it). Wish it wasn’t a Stern but it is one of the best games in years. Blows SS out of the water.

#13 3 years ago

Yeah ... yet pinball has and remains a predominantly male hobby. As Kaneda used to say - good luck picking up any woman in a bar after telling her you're into pinball.

Pretty sure Kaneda has other reasons why that wasn’t working for him..

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Took me getting both SS (she liked it on location, never played at home) and EHOH (didn’t tell her, just appeared one day, she LOVED it). Wish it wasn’t a Stern but it is one of the best games in years. Blows SS out of the water.

Funny thing is ... I owned a great SS, but no one else including my biggest pinball loving buddy, loved playing it besides me. I consequently sold it.

I miss it and am tempted to go for a EHOH!

#15 3 years ago

Worked for my buddy in Whistler once!! Took her home showed her his machine and sealed the deal

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Borntolose:

showed her his machine

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

No where to play. No reasonably priced pins for sale. Fell out of the mainstream.

Nope. Never been mainstream. I'm born in 74 so my teens to early 20's were in the height of those golden years of 90 B/W and great System 11's still on route.
    Loved it. Me and about 4 buddies in high school. Didn't know anyone else who played or gave a shit.

#18 3 years ago

It's beyond me ...

Shouldn't be beyond u, we all have different taste in hobbies. Jesus I went fishing once. Once

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
    #19 3 years ago

It's just not true.
    That shit actually worked for me on a girl. I was just fooling around at that time and testing out different ways to pick up girls. And she really went for the: "Do you want to come to my place to check out my pinball" line.

We even laughed about it afterwards.

#20 3 years ago

We're weird bunch but a lot cooler than those air hockey guys
    p.s. I love air hockey 2

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

We're weird bunch but a lot cooler than those air hockey guys
    p.s. I love air hockey 2

We are not weird they are

#22 3 years ago

Most things with mass appeal are garbage.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Most things with mass appeal are garbage.

Kanye West is the perfect example of that .

#24 3 years ago

If anything it’s way more popular than ever.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Nope. Never been mainstream. I'm born in 74 so my teens to early 20's were in the height of those golden years of 90 B/W and great System 11's still on route.
    Loved it. Me and about 4 buddies in high school. Didn't know anyone else who played or gave a shit.

I believe it was definitely mainstream back during the depression before it became illegal. I think once it became illegal, it became taboo and never fully recovered.

#26 3 years ago

Learned long ago just because I'm enthusiastic and even passionate about
    something doesn't mean anyone else is.

Would most of us get excited about collecting Pez or Barbie dolls?

The pinball hobby is a heck of a lot of fun and feel sorry for those that
    won't even try playing pins.
    Steve

#27 3 years ago

I once bought a woodrail project from a guy that collected Pez. He was pretty passionate about it. Even though it's not my thing I always have a respect for people that are passionate about something. So many people I know don't really have any hobbies to speak of other than maybe watching tv and/or drinking beer. That seems weird to me.

#28 3 years ago

I'm sure there'll be those who disagree but I think the money pins command is the biggest reason for many people not gravitating to pinball. Look at the popularity of Arcade1ups, it's just not nostalgia that is driving sales, it's the price point and when it's a large amount people wonder why we pay so much for one and attribute it to weirdness.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I'm sure there'll be those who disagree but I think the money pins command is the biggest reason for many people not gravitating to pinball. Look at the popularity of Arcade1ups, it's just not nostalgia that is driving sales, it's the price point and when it's a large amount people wonder why we pay so much for one and attribute it to weirdness.

I can see this being a factor for sure... Put it this way, I've gotten hundreds of hours of entertainment from my Nintendo Switch which only costs me $300. Don't get me wrong, I love Pinball but it's virtually impossible to ever see that same type of value return in terms of hours played per dollar.

#30 3 years ago

Everybody is wired differently. I used to love sports and I still enjoy watching it. I see guys dumping enough cash on season tickets to buy a nice BSD and think of that as a waste of money. Then there are the ultra sports fans who expect me to be impressed with there collections of autographs on jerseys, helmets, etc. So I just nod and smile, the same people do when they see my pinballs.

#31 3 years ago

If you are young enough to not yet qualify for AARP membership, being into pinball is not a necessarily deterrent to many women. And frankly, if you are the type of woman that looks down on someone for a pretty benign hobby like Pinball, I probably do not want anything to do with you anyway. My wife told me on the first date she had great memories of playing The Shadow with her dad at the mall when she was a kid. Most children of the 50's and 60's have a different view on Pinball compared to children of the 70's and 80's when pinball was in its prime out in public. Pinball is much more accepted among the younger crowd.

If you are a mouth breather that lives in your parents basement with a dozen machines and spare parts piled to the ceiling...I wouldn't blame pinball for the reason she isn't into you.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcvetyty:

I can see this being a factor for sure... Put it this way, I've gotten hundreds of hours of entertainment from my Nintendo Switch which only costs me $300. Don't get me wrong, I love Pinball but it's virtually impossible to ever see that same type of value return in terms of hours played per dollar.

The one thing about Pinball is that you do not lose a ton of money when you decide to replace a machine or leave the hobby all together, so long as you were smart about things along the way. There are not a lot of other hobbies where you can say that. Obviously, you only have that $300 investment in a switch, so its not a big deal if you got thousands of hours out of it. This is provided you didn't drop thousands on DLC along the way.

#33 3 years ago

On every niche forum about whatever niche thing, there’s a thread just like this one wondering about why so few people care about competition go-karting, or embroidery, or seahorse breeding, or ...

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

On every niche forum about whatever niche thing, there’s a thread just like this one wondering about why so few people care about competition go-karting, or embroidery, or seahorse breeding, or ...

Don't you dare talk trash about my Competition Seahorse Go Kart racing league!

20200724_101602 (resized).jpg20200724_101602 (resized).jpg
    #35 3 years ago

For those that don't give a crap or are just clueless. A common response when walking up to my pins. "How much do one of these go for?" So common.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Don't you dare talk trash about my Competition Seahorse Go Kart racing league!

Nothing like breeding thoroughbred Seahorses.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Saddath:

It's just not true.
    That shit actually worked for me on a girl.

Same, more than once. U have a girl over, drinks and what not then play a great game in front her, she digs it believe me. Keep in mind appearance plays a factor here, and judging by the one time I actually went to a pinball convention

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcvetyty:

I believe it was definitely mainstream back during the depression before it became illegal.

Well I really wasn't taking depression era pinball into my analysis.

Quoted from FalconDriver:

For those that don't give a crap or are just clueless. A common response when walking up to my pins. "How much do one of these go for?" So common.

U know what else is common? those people never buying a pinball machine.

#39 3 years ago

I have a house full of very expensive, and very heavy games. They take up ridiculous amounts of space. Let me repeat... GAMES.

I'm the idiot. Not them.

#40 3 years ago

Most of the people who come to my house and end up seeing my machines look at me like im crazy. Meanwhile they buy luxury cars that last 6 years before shelling out a ton of more money for a new one.

To each their own I say..

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Same, more than once. U have a girl over, drinks and what not then play a great game in front her, she digs it believe me. Keep in mind appearance plays a factor here, and judging by the one time I actually went to a pinball convention

Also with girls in my age (around 30, mid 30) i made the experience they are much more into playing pinball then playing any digital games. It seems to be more interesting because it's not digital. This is also what i love so much about pinball as an avid gamer.
    The unpredictability of pinball just can't be reproduced by any software.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Saddath:

Also with girls in my age (around 30, mid 30) i made the experience they are much more into playing pinball then playing any digital games. It seems to be more interesting because it's not digital. This is also what i love so much about pinball as an avid gamer.
    The unpredictability of pinball just can't be reproduced by any software.

Ive found girls like them more than video games because they are simple to play...

#43 3 years ago

It’s not a normal thing to be into. It’s a coin-op machine, not something you just casually buy at the store. To most people, it’s like putting a jukebox or vending machine in your house when you can just listen to music on your phone & put drinks in the fridge.

An old friend of mine just bought a pin for his dad...right away it has problems and things don’t work. They don’t know how to fix anything. This is why most people aren’t into pinball. It’s a pain in the ass unless you like to & know how to tinker.

#44 3 years ago

For some reason, pinball has a dorky/negative stigma attached to it by the outside world.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

For some reason, pinball has a dorky/negative stigma attached to it by the outside world.

Pinheads (myself included) can be pretty geeky about the subject. This is especially apparent in tech related discussions on various podcasts and Youtube videos as well as on Pinside.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Too late. In 1972 there were 3 machines at Woolworths, 2 at every curb market, 3-5 at Department Stores, the local Arcade which became a Foosball Parlor had 20 machines, all of the fishing piers had 3-10 machines, the Bowling Alleys had 5-12 machines Campgrounds had 1-5, EVERY local greasy spoon burger joint had at least one, EVERY Bar had at least 1.
    It was difficult to go anywhere in the 60's and 70's and not be enticed to play pinball.

#47 3 years ago

The simple answer is that people just don't know about it.

They were popular gambling devices early on, then later outlawed. Pins were found in bars, laundromats, and theatres and then they started disappearing from those areas. There was a resurgence of them in the 70s with "Tommy " and marketing via Elton John. The 80s saw an arcade boom and the early 90s saw a renewed interest as well. Pinball crashed in the late 90s, and it has only been in the last few years that it has seen a regeneration of interest due to nostalgia, arcades, and new pinball companies producing machines. Unfortunately, many of those that remembered playing have passed away or are too old to care. Those that grew up with them in the 70s and 80s make up most of the collectors/players today, and unless we pass it on...it will be forgotten.

It is very common for me to encounter someone that has no clue what a pinball is, or that gives me the "I thought they stopped making those in the 70s" line. Those that do know what they are often have no clue there are rules/goals to pinballs...they simply think you are batting a ball around randomly.

If we want this hobby to become more relevant and grow, it is up to all pinheads to share the hobby via talking about it, inviting people to play our games, explaining actual rules and play styles, opening arcades, bringing people to shows, and buying games.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

The simple answer is that people just don't know about it.

Enh, not really. Non pin-heads that come over play a game or two and then stop. It just doesn’t click with most people.

#49 3 years ago

It's beyond me ...

Somewhere there is a guy who likes to clip a car battery to his ball sack in the garage while the family is sleeping, and in between jolts he's wondering why everybody else isn’t into his favorite hobby either.

Different strokes dude.

#50 3 years ago

I enjoy pinball but its just a fun thing to do when I'm alone. I enjoy pinball when my wife is getting ready and I need to kill 30 minutes. I enjoy working on a machine in the evenings when I'm not too busy with work, its a nice distraction. It's the obsessive personalities that I find most off putting, it's not a pinball thing it's everything. The hard cores in every hobby are nuts. How anyone can take it so seriously is baffling to me.

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-can-so-many-people-not-give-a-crap-about-pinball?hl=hayfarmer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.