(Topic ID: 273684)

How can so many people NOT give a crap about pinball?!!!

By Tuna_Delight

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Don_C
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

oh nein (resized).png
    F19A658A-3EC1-48EC-A488-B51ACA03C8CA (resized).png
    2DACA691-8F1C-44E6-876D-EDD520C245AA.gif
    Aye yi yi.gif
    giphy.gif.cf (7).gif
    Knit pinballs (resized).jpg
    tenor (resized).png
    20200724_101602 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 3 years ago

When you write your phone number on a bank receipt that shows you have one million five thousand in the bank women forget about pinballs and penis size.

All my friends along with my daughter, son and granddaughter love pinball.
    My daughter is the one that wanted a MB to go next to TAF.

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

All my friends along with my daughter, son and granddaughter love pinball.
    My daughter is the one that wanted a MB to go next to TAF.

You're fortunate.

#103 3 years ago

Had a cookout today and my oldest daughter brought her new boyfriend over for first time. He's 27. They walked through my room with 5 classic Williams sat up, Then through my DMD/system 11 room (12 pins sat up) and then through my classic Bally room with 9 pins sat up. I was walking out with them and right behind them. Kid didn't even look up at a single game. Who the f*k walks through a basement with 26 pins sat up and doesn't even notice them????

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Had a cookout today and my oldest daughter brought her new future ex boyfriend over for first time.

#105 3 years ago
    oh nein (resized).pngoh nein (resized).png
    #106 3 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Had a cookout today and my oldest daughter brought her new boyfriend over for first time. He's 27. They walked through my room with 5 classic Williams sat up, Then through my DMD/system 11 room (12 pins sat up) and then through my classic Bally room with 9 pins sat up. I was walking out with them and right behind them. Kid didn't even look up at a single game. Who the f*k walks through a basement with 26 pins sat up and doesn't even notice them????

Probably too busy on his phone updating his social media and didn't notice the pins...

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

A loser. I would discuss it with your daughter immediately.

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Somewhere there is a guy who likes to clip a car battery to his ball sack in the garage while the family is sleeping, and in between jolts he's wondering why everybody else isn’t into his favorite hobby either.
    Different strokes dude.

No there isn't, 12v is not enough to "jolt" a ball sack or any other part of your body. Maybe a tingle if the balls are sweaty. (I suppose they would be.) Make sparks by shorting the probes and cause burns, sure. But not the torture device everyone thinks thanks to cheesy movies.

https://www.lifewire.com/electrocuted-by-a-12-volt-car-battery-534763

The stuff you learn here, eh?

#109 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

The stuff you learn here, eh?

Yeah dry your balls before you clip the cables on.

#110 3 years ago

People seemed to love pinball back in the 60's Through the 80's but they could care less about it now seems like. I have people who wont even finish a game and just leave the ball sitting in the shooter lane and walk away.

I dont understand it at all, it's like the funniest thing in the world to me.

#111 3 years ago

Call me elitist, but I think people who are wired to enjoy pinball are just a little more "on," a bit more "alive," slightly more in tune with reality and their place in it and up to the challenge of battling gravity and learning a few rules and developing real skills and improving their concentration and reaction times.

Most of the other 99.999% would rather sit on their asses and stare at screens (or else are struggling to survive, wondering where their next meal is coming from).

To have access to pinball and ignore it is the easy route, for getting into it would require an effort. Dullards.

#112 3 years ago

I think people who like pinball enough to actively look for places to play or in our case purchase simply have not lost that sense of awe and wonder for the world around them. Sorta like when a kid see's a Bumble Bee, or Humming bird hover for the first time, they don't have to say anything it's apparent in their eyes.

#113 3 years ago

Reading through these posts - thanks for the laugh. Using a "hey baby... ya wanna see my pinball machine?" line ...... hilarious. It's so freaking sad that I might have to try using it myself. I find women don't generally like pinball. However they all seem to dig Ms Pacman and that I do have as well.
    Seems like every party I throw guys are on the pins and ladies on the arcades. Maybe I'll use "Ms pacman" instead of "pinball".

#114 3 years ago

Of course most people I know are not as enthusiastic about pinball as we are, but I have experienced some exceptions:

I have successfully infected at least 4 people so badly that they bought pins.

When I introduced my godchild to pinball she was so keen on it she announced on the way home that she wanted to be a pinball designer when she grew up.

At my church there is always either an EM or an EE pin that I provide and swap out after about a year. The first one was Surf Champ and I wondered whether any of the kids would even look at it. In fact it was so popular I often couldn’t get on it myself. And equal numbers of boys and girls play. One point to note is that most kids at my church don’t have unlimited access to smartphones and games consoles so their attention span is long enough to acquire a new skill. And they still have this sense of wonderment of these amazing mechanical machines.

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from Saddath:

i made the experience they are much more into playing pinball then playing any digital games.

Let us not forget that Pinball can bring out some great "stances" Its just lovely to watch.

Quoted from phil-lee:

Too late. In 1972 there were 3 machines at Woolworths, 2 at every curb market, 3-5 at Department Stores, the local Arcade which became a Foosball Parlor had 20 machines, all of the fishing piers had 3-10 machines, the Bowling Alleys had 5-12 machines Campgrounds had 1-5, EVERY local greasy spoon burger joint had at least one, EVERY Bar had at least 1.
    It was difficult to go anywhere in the 60's and 70's and not be enticed to play pinball.

Yeah but there's a big difference between putting on a game on route and then someone plays a little pinball and buying NIB, attending events, watching people play pinball on line. I do that quite a bit. Its a fun game then they forget about it.

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

Reading through these posts - thanks for the laugh. Using a "hey baby... ya wanna see my pinball machine?" line ...... hilarious. It's so freaking sad that I might have to try using it myself.

Make sure you say something about how being good at pinball requires "finesse."

#117 3 years ago

I’m not sure that even I give a crap about pinball. It’s been weeks and I haven’t fixed the broken micro switch in my DM handle.

#118 3 years ago

Non-pinball folks will always be non-pinball people. I raised my daughter to play pinball, 1st on a collection of Gottlieb EM's. At 8 she was playing soccer so I bought a Gottlieb Soccer and a Super Soccer to make one nice one. Had her 9th birthday party(2003) in my gameroom with a clown (mistake, he sucked) plus a dozen kids from her school. At that time I had 6 nice Gottlieb EM's which were more popular than the clown. Most of these kids never played one. 2 months later I got a call from her school asking if I'd host a small "field trip" for the kids because pinball was being brought up over and over and obviously many kids didn't get to play one. "Sure", took a day off work to host this. Bus showed up with 25 kids to converge on my 6 games. Gave them a 3 minute quick history of pinball and then tried to break them into groups so my 4 player games had 4 etc.

Bedlam. No patience, kids getting pissed off cause they had to wait to play. My daughter made it worse cause she kicked everyone's ass. Finally told her she was done. Honestly one of the worst 2 hours I had in my gameroom. One kid cried when my daughter explained "you're a 2 flipper Sally" to a boy who hit both flippers at once. I used that term to explain why flippers must be used separately to her. Oh the guilt, but she was right.

Forward to today. At 24 my daughter takes me out on Father's day to play pinball at a local place that has pristine games like TZ, CV, AF, etc. I think I did good by her.

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Somewhere there is a guy who likes to clip a car battery to his ball sack in the garage while the family is sleeping, and in between jolts he's wondering why everybody else isn’t into his favorite hobby either.
    Different strokes dude.

Real men use 120V AC.

#120 3 years ago

The MAJORITY of people think its just a random game of chance; you put your money in, you get a minute or two of lights and sounds while flipping non-stop until the balls all drain. If they even realize there is more than one ball to be played. How many times have you walked up to a machine and it's on ball two waiting to be plunged, with no one around?

Worse than a slot machine because you don't have the chance to "Win" anything in return (free games, ok, but most of the general public doesn't realize they hit a match and just walks away)

I've turned a bunch of "couldn't care less about pinball" people into casuals, after showing them that it is a game of skill, and that there are actually "rules" and "strategy" to playing. Calling my shots, then hitting them shows them that it's not just dumb luck. It was like I showed them fire for the first time when it "clicked" for them. I don't foresee these folks ever buying a game of their own, but they now play them whenever they see them around at bars, breweries, etc. I may have created a monster though, because, these people now send me pictures of games every single time they run into one in the wild to ask if I've ever played it, lol.

I've taken a few casuals over the edge into enthusiast once I showed them you could control the ball with nudging, post-passes, dead-flips, drop catches, live catches, etc. Once they realize you don't have to flip every time the ball is near a flipper, their game times increased drastically, and they were able to get much deeper into the game/reliably get a multiball going every game/etc.

#121 3 years ago

Every time I move, I wish I was into stamp collecting. When I'm enjoying a beer or two, I'm glad I don't collect stamps...

#122 3 years ago

I live in a stodgy 55+ community. Every time I mentioned I restore pinballs, I got the same patronizing reply: “that’s nice”. Eye rolls and smirks when they thought I wasn’t watching. “I can’t get no respect.” So I held a “pinball mania” party. Men vs women. About 60 people jammed into my game room. All machines free play. $3 buy-in. Men never got a chance to play. Women hogged all the machines. The men drank and laughed. Women drank and played (they LOVED the free play!) It was like high school at first, then nursery school. That was 6 years ago and they still say it was the best party ever.

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

He's thinking about how soon he and she can get away from everyone else and find some 'privacy'. Then the social media. Boxes of blinky lights don't register due to hormone interference.

Don C.

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-can-so-many-people-not-give-a-crap-about-pinball/page/3?hl=clellison and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.