(Topic ID: 85208)

How can I start a Gottlieb pinball without a coin door?

By Zsuttle

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by pinhead52
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140325_210114.jpg
image-373.jpg
image-689.jpg
image-88.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I have a Gottlieb super soccer that is missing the coin door mechanisms. Is there any way to start the game through a relay? Or something else?

#2 10 years ago

not sure i understand the question? coin mechs are never necessary to start a game...

#3 10 years ago

It is missing he coin door and start buttons.

#4 10 years ago

image-88.jpgimage-88.jpg

#5 10 years ago

is the coin door wiring harness there (do you have it)?

#6 10 years ago

The side connection pins are.image-689.jpgimage-689.jpg
But nothing that attaches to the coin door

#7 10 years ago

you are gonna need to track down a wiring harness eventually, it is kinda needed...

in order to do what you want, you'll need a schematic... you'll need to jump at least one of the connections on the jones plug receptacle, as well as wiring in a temp start switch...

#8 10 years ago

I have schematics I just don't know what to do

#9 10 years ago

Which cables should I jump?

#10 10 years ago

Manually activate the Start relay that is on the bottom board. Just press it in so the switches close. This should start the reset sequence. Do you have the manual? - it goes through the steps of the reset sequence.

#11 10 years ago

I pressed the switch and nothing happened it isn't getting voltage

#12 10 years ago

Today I started removing the paint off the left cabinet.
image-373.jpgimage-373.jpg
I also cleaned more switches.

#13 10 years ago

Without the coin door harness present, the 'bounce switch' that would normally be on the door (and closed) will appear as open, so the start relay won't get any power (nor will the rest of the 25V circuit).

This will be shown along the bottom right side of the schematic, along with the color wires on either side of that switch. Those are what need to be jumpered closed.

But before powering up a game that's incomplete and of unknown condition, I'd really suggest getting comfortable with the schematic and understanding how to review the state of the game first (not to discourage you, but keeping safety in mind).

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

But before powering up a game that's incomplete and of unknown condition, I'd really suggest getting comfortable with the schematic and understanding how to review the state of the game first (not to discourage you, but keeping safety in mind).

< nodding head "yes" very vigorously >

#15 10 years ago

Yes I checked wires and made sure all joints were hooked up.
Plus I never work on a machine while it is on unless I have to

#16 10 years ago

I have 2 or 3 extra door harnesses. how many pins is the jones plug? I can sell you one for $15

#17 10 years ago

It's a 6 pin but all I need are the mechanisms and the harness. Not the door.

#18 10 years ago

yep drop me an email to khead at gmail dot com. I'll check my my stash

#19 10 years ago

I wired the machine and got .3 volts ac on the start relay mechanism and 4.85 on the jones plug.
Is that normal?

#20 10 years ago

You'll actually have 110volt line voltage for the start switch...and then 30 volts for the slam switch. You need the cir diagram

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

You'll actually have 110volt line voltage for the start switch...and then 30 volts for the slam switch. You need the cir diagram

i believe only 25v to both... no 110v to the door on that vintage machine, unless this one is different from others?

there may be 110v to the start relay though (i don't have the schematic in front of me, i'm not sure what the reset requirements are)... easy enough to tell by looking at the line voltage leg of the transformer on the schematic...

#22 10 years ago

I have the bounce switch hooked up but not anything else. What should I also hook up?

#23 10 years ago

read and follow the schematic... i'll be blunt, since we danced around this a couple times already... before you go and try to jury rig this up, you need to understand exactly what it is you are doing and why you are doing it... if others have to tell you what to do (i.e. you can't figure it out by reading the schematic), you probably should not be trying it...

sorry for the bluntness... but i don't want to see you electrocute yourself... something like this is potentially more hazardous than simply troubleshooting a problem...

your best bet if you cannot read your schematic is to wait until you get a wiring harness... actually, your best bet is to wait until you get the harness and get the machine back together... i see you are making progress towards the "putting together" part that in your other thread...

#24 10 years ago

I understand the schematic it's just the wires coming off the fuses don't match up. Or at least it's hard to tell

#25 10 years ago

Oh finally got it! It was a loose connection on the fuse

#27 10 years ago

Unfortunately the motor controlling the game won't stop now and the thing is stuck in an endless cycle

#28 10 years ago

It's the coin reset switch

#29 10 years ago

20140325_210114.jpg20140325_210114.jpgHere's a 6 pin harness I have. start switch, slam switch and I can add a coin switch.

#30 10 years ago

Don't worry I got the whole coin door harness and mechanisms for $30 off of ebay

#31 10 years ago

Now that is the best way to fix your problem, new door!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoted from Zsuttle:

Don't worry I got the whole coin door harness and mechanisms for $30 off of ebay

#32 10 years ago

new used door. or an alligator clip on the right sockets.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-can-i-start-a-gottlieb-pinball-without-a-coin-door and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.