(Topic ID: 250959)

How can I remove haze, ball tracks, etc from Mylar?

By jimgravina

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3654.JPG
    IMG_3658.JPG
    IMG_3657.JPG
    IMG_3635 2.JPG
    IMG_3631.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jimgravina.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hello fellow pinsiders!

In process of tearing down and cleaning my playfield on a pin I just got. I’ve cleaned all the dirt from the playfield, but now I’m trying to remove the haziness, ball tracks, light scratches from the Mylar.

Any recommendations? I ran some Novus 2 over it but it doesn’t do much...I have polishing pads hooked to my drill. Maybe I need to work it in longer and harder than I thought? Maybe there’s another product I should be using? Maybe it’s not even possible on Mylar?

Thank you!!
    Jim

#7 4 years ago

The headlight polishing kits...your using the kind where you actually start with the fine grit sandpaper? Or are you just using the polishing steps? I’d be nervous to use sandpaper...maybe I’m wrong.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Spot the hazy 25yr old factory mylar in this video...
    sanded and compounded with high grit sandpaper... compound finished with machine pads and polish

May I ask what grit sandpaper you started with? My machine is about 30 years old so def has some haziness but it’s not overly terrible. I just don’t wanna risk going too hard and completely taking off the Mylar...

#17 4 years ago

Excellent advice everyone! I ended up getting a headlight restore kit sanding pad and finished up with some novus 2.

Still a few swirl marks but it’s much better and can live with in. I’m just too nervous about going too far and taking off all the Mylar!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jimgravina.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-can-i-remove-haze-ball-tracks-etc-from-mylar?tu=jimgravina and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.